“Almost Perfect” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #67 of 82 Hotels in Boston
Egypt
“Almost Perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed here for two nights and I've to say that this hotel, for the budget, is perfect. The hotel is not exactly in downtown, but its 1 min away from the green line T stop "kenmore" which is a 10 min journey from downtown. The area is also lively with a lot of stores, fastfood, and cafes directly infront of the hotel and its 5-7 min walk from Newbury street which is one of the most beautiful streets in boston.
I arrived at the hotel early (11am) and although the official checkin is at 3pm, the guy at the reception was very helpful and gave me a room right away. He was so helpful that he even changed the room for a better one without me asking. In addition, in all my other encounters with the staff members, they were all very nice and helpful.
The room itself is big and the bathroom is huge. The room had a king bed, desk, large LCD TV (didn't use it), microwave, and a fridge. The room was very clean and the heater worked exceptionally well. The bathroom is also very clean and the shower worked perfectly with perfect hot water. The breakfast was a nice continental breakfast with fresh juice, waffles, fruits, pasteries and coffee.
The only negative points in the hotel that prevented me from giving it 5 stars are: the wifi and the outside noise. The wifi is only free for the first 1 hr, then you've to pay for it which is so inconvinient. Regarding the street noise, my room was on the third floor and it felt as if I'm in the street hearing even the conversation between people. It is so bad, that if you are a light sleeper (Luckily I'm not), I've to say with complete confidence that you'll never be able to sleep for 1 min.
Again for me this hotel, for what I paid for, is perfect with a nice room & in a nice area, but again if you are a light sleeper don't stay there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Mobz11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Schenectady, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We have stayed at the Buckminster twice, and plan to be back there in May when our oldest graduates BU. Although it is true that the hotel is a bit dated, and the rooms are on the cramped side, they have always been clean and you can't beat the price for the location. I would like if they had blackout shades though, it would also muffle some of the outside noise. We've checked around and although the Hotel Commonwealth looks like heaven, I can't justify spending more than twice what the Buckminster charges to basically sleep, shower and change clothes. I am sorry to hear about breakfast being discontinued. I would bring down my own gluten free bread and use their spreads, yogurts and fruits as well as coffee. Hopefully the new restaurant will be open for breakfast.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a companion, and staying for a few days, you may want to consider booking...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Stacy C
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We travelled from New York having been around the world;New Zealand, America & on way to Canada. The hotel was easy to find with a sat nav and although we turned up late, the receptionist was very welcoming. The rooms were very clean and traditionally furnished in a tasteful comfortable style & the facilities were just what we required after a tiring trip- ensuite ect. This hotel has been very grand at some time and the old character is still there, but some of the decor in some rooms is a bit dated, however, very clean & tidy. The staff were very friendly and gave brilliant advice on places to visit....The breakfast the next day was wholesome and healthy, there was plenty of choices beginning with fruits, yogurts, muesli, home baked muffins, pastries, toast,jams and cereal. We were treated like 'special' guests and made to feel very welcome.I would recommend this hotelto anyone. we had two rooms- two young adults with parents. Great value for money and ideally situated next to the famous Red Sox stadium and on the tube line for visits to the must see and do the Heritage trail,on return to England, I had to share this wonderful experience with everyone else!!! fantastic value for money!!!

Room Tip: we had no problem with our rooms, our sons room was smaller but both had ensuites, theirs had a bath...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KarenGibson_13
Rochester, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed here on New Years eve since it is literally around the corner from where I was headed for the evening (House of Blues). The hotel itself is a little dated. Rooms are smaller than normally expected, but clean. TV is small, but who cares, I'm here to enjoy the city, not watch TV. Bathroom tub drained VERY slowly (I thought it was plugged, but after about 20 minutes it fully drained). The bed was comfortable, sheets were clean. You have to pay for parking, but for the location and convenience of not driving on New Years Eve, it was worth it. Hotel is located down the street from the Kenmore Square T stop on the green line.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Look for Internet deals because then you are really saving some money. Very close to the "T" train system. Many eateries nearby. Continental breakfast was a plus but more especially for the free wireless Internet access.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Susan R
Providence, Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Wanted to stay for just one night (New Years Eve). The receptionist said it was okay, even gave me the price for one night (without having to calculate it, she knew off the bat) and said she booked it for me. She was quite nice and it made my day that I finally set up my plans for the holiday. Well, she calls me back a few minutes later and said I can't just do one night because they have a "2-night minimum stay." First off, why was my 1 night priced out (down to the last cent) and booked in the first place? I would imagine that if they had a limit, she wouldn't have told me the price and said she booked it. Second of all, it was her mistake, she should have just kept it or worked something out with me. And, lastly, do they not realize they're losing money (especially on holidays) by limiting the amount of nights someone can stay? Why even bother? I'm so irritated by the way they basically just said "nevermind, too bad." It's unfortunate. Now they lose money and I have to find another hotel to stay at...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Boston hotels

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Location is very convenient -- 1-1/2 blocks from Kenmore T station. Fantastic restaurant less than 1 block away called Eastern Standard, convenience store across the street which is open late. Rooms have a mini-fridge and microwave, but no cups, plates, or utensils, and no coffee maker, which is a big minus.

The building was designed by Stanford White and has a lot of charm; it must have originally been apartments, since room configurations within each class are very different. We reserved a double Queen suite (2 queen beds). We were there in December and it was cold -- 30s and 40s, down into the 20s at night. The heat wasn't working in the first room they gave us, on the 4th floor. The maintenance person, who came up right away, said it might be a day or two before it was fixed and offered us a space heater in the interim! We asked to be moved, and were given Room 627 -- two bedrooms, each with a Queen bed, plus a living room and large, very nice bathroom. It was more like an apartment than a hotel room. Although it was very clean, the furniture is old and beat-up, there's no shelf/counter space in the bathroom, the TVs are old-fashioned, the carpet is stained, and in the living room there was a small, uncomfortable couch plus a couple of straight-backed chairs -- no comfortable seating. Overall, the furnishings are spartan.

On our final night, we got in about 11:00pm and discovered that the heat wasn't working. We called the front desk and were told that the maintenance staff was gone for the night, and there was nothing to be done till morning. They had ONE small space heater available. They did offer to move us to another room, but since we were leaving the next morning it seemed like too much trouble to pack up and move for just one night, especially since it was already so late. Outside temp was 27 degrees, so we spent a very cold night.

The night auditor who came up to look at the thermostat didn't offer to discount the rate, but I requested it and was told they'd do something. When we checked out the next morning, they gave us a 50% discount on our final night. It would have been more appropriate to comp it 100%. The desk staff told us that ALL of the rooms at our end of that hallway had lost heat the previous night.

Overall, I'm not sure I'd stay here again -- it's a lovely building in a great location, but it's very shabby and needs a good deal of sprucing up. And they REALLY need to fix their climate control issues. The front desk is staffed 24 hours a day; all of the staff are very nice, but are also very young and inexperienced (I think they're students at the nearby Boston University), and they have no authority, or ability to deal with emergencies such as the heat not working. The hotel clearly has serious facility management problems.

The included continental breakfast seems OK if you don't have to be gluten-free as I do -- lots of simple carbs; other than that they had the usual selection of unripe melon, unripe bananas, apples, and non-nutritious commercial flavored/sweetened yogurt. I would have preferred to pay a lower room rate, and instead have a coffee maker in the room with no continental breakfast. The front desk staff told us that in the spring of 2013 the included breakfast will be eliminated, and the former karaoke bar off the lobby that they're now using as the breakfast room will become a full-service restaurant and bar, with limited room service available to guests.

Room Tip: Room 623 (as long as the heat is working).
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple