“A historic hotel in the middle of Kenmore Square around the corner from Fenway & many restaurants!”

Boston Hotel Buckminster
Ranked #64 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed December 28, 2011

This is an old, but clean & comfortable hotel. It's easy to find. There's a T station right down the street (which is how we traveled), but plenty of parking nearby if you choose to drive. Fenway is a walk around the corner. We hit Boston Beer Works for dinner, always delicious! We have stayed here before in one of the smallest rooms, which is fine if you're heading to a Sox game and aren't planning to spend hours in the room. This time we had a 2 bedroom apartment with a living room, small refrigerator & microwave. Great if you have 4 or more people! The hotel has an interesting history. Babe Ruth was a frequent guest & it is said that the World Series scandal involving Shoeless Joe Jackson was set up at Buckminster! Expect some noise such as sirens in the middle of the night...you are sleeping on a main intersection in the middle of Boston, but it's bearable. And if you have a room like we did, it's worth a little noise to be able to peek out the window & be staring directly at the iconic Citgo sign!

• Stayed: December 2011
4  Thank Jennyb0609
Rick R, General Manager at Boston Hotel Buckminster, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2016

Thank you for completing the survey for us. We value your feedback and patronage. It is good to hear that you took advantage of our great location to experience all that Boston has to offer.

Reviewed December 19, 2011

Being a BU alum, this hotel's location is ideal for me because it sits right on the eastern edge of the campus, but it is also great for anyone visiting Boston for any occasion. Right smack in the middle of Kenmore Square (right by Boston's famous Citgo sign), the hotel is walking distance from the shopping and restaurants of Back Bay and just a short T (subway) ride away from pretty much all of Boston's historic sights.

The rooms themselves are not mind-blowing but are clean and have all the necessary amenities whether you are in town for business or pleasure. The staff downstairs is also nice, professional and knowledgeable about the city.

While the hotel is not cheap, it is very reasonable considering the hotel's location and quality.

Overall, highly recommended. Especially if you are in town to catch the Red Sox.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank bkmaxik
Reviewed December 16, 2011

Very good hotel considering I paid less than $100 a night, which is cheap by Boston standards. Just a short walk from the subway station as well (Kenmore), literally a stones throw away from Fenway Park for baseball fans. From previous reports I assume the hotel has recently been renovated as the room was very clean and modern looking, with a wide screen tv as well. The room was a good size and the beds very comfortable. Surprised the hotel didn't provide a few sachets of coffee, only a small thing but seemed a bit incongruous given the quality of the room.

If your a light sleeper you may want to get a room away from the inside on the lower floors as I could hear the air-conditioning units, though it didn't personally disturb my sleep. The hotel serves a good continental breakfast in the Japanese restaurant next door. Overall I found it good value for money and for the price I paid would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Malcolm_111
Reviewed December 15, 2011

I took this hotel for my first 2 days, as the one I wanted was not available, and it was a good surprise. Their website looks like old and they are underrated in here. They are a cross-street to the red line (best subway line in boston) , with lots of restaurants very close to it (from mcdonalds to very nice pizza and steak house places) ..there are some bars and nightlife too, since it is very close to the Boston University Campus. In fact, many guests of this hotel are young and polite, looking for good prices and a nice stay. Staff is really nice and the room is comfy, very good bed and a good shower too. Everything is clean and do not smell bad (I though it would be since it has an old appearance on the website). It is cheaper than most of the other places and a good option for who is willing to save money and time with transportation. They have 1 hour free wifi, and them u have to pay (only thing I disliked about it).

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Recently my son and husband planned a sports weekend in Boston. It was very difficult to find any accommodation that was reasonably priced yet accessible to everything. I searched the other trip advisor sites and found this one. This hotel had mixed reviews. I was getting desperate and when I booked there was only a few rooms left. They ended up with the two bedroom. When they got to Boston they found it very close to the subway and were very happy. The two bedroom looked over towards Fenway park. It was clean and had many conveniences. They were not in the room much. They found that the breakfast was adequate and a good way to start the day. They also enjoyed several of the restaurants close by. This is definitely not the Ritz but the two of them had no complaints. I think you have to ask yourself what you want out of a hotel. If it is ambience and the pampered feeling then this is not the place. If you want something reasonable, close to the subway, clean and roomy (especially the 2 bedroom) then you might want to consider this property.

Room Tip: Ask for a quieter room if possible. This was not an issue for my family though
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I thought this hotel was great and I would definitely go back. My main reason for choosing this hotel was because of its location and it exceeded my expectations in that dept.

Here are my reasons:1) Location! I went to Boston for an overnight trip with my daughter and her friend to see a concert at the House of Blues. This hotel was right around the corner - no busy streets to cross. It is a stones throw from Fenway Park as well. It is a half a block away from the T (subway) stop which is approx. 5-10 min. ride to Quincy Market/Fanueil Hall. There are three restaurants, including Uno, attached to this hotel and there are quite a few others within a block's walk. Cambridge is a 3-5 minute drive or you can walk over the bridge (it has a walking path). Ten minute walk to Newbury(?) street (shopping). Easy access to the highway.
2) We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. It was plenty big for the 3 of us. You could have slept 6. It may have been tight for 6 people, but definitely do-able. One bedroom had a small kitchenette in with a table, desk, sitting chair. The other bedroom had 2 beds which filled it up. Because we were there for one night, I didn't need the tv. I did try turning it on and there was a problem with the signal. If it wasn't after midnight I would have called the desk, but I didn't bother. The bathroom was a little tight, but clean. The water pressure in the shower was excellent. I wasn't expecting that for such an old building. The character of the building was incredible. There is a fireplace (non working) in this suite. The decor left a little to be desired (no pictures on the walls), but again, we were there to sleep.
3) I paid $179 +tax and $28 for parking. I know the single rooms are less expensive. I thought it was worth it. Not knowing the city of Boston very well, I wanted to be close to the venue and that reason alone made it worth price. You get a continental breakfast which included cereals, muffins, danish, fresh fruit, coffee, tea. Certainly enough to get your day started.

The desk staff was very helpful and pleasant. I do not think this hotel has much else by means of amenities (i.e. swimming pool), but I wasn't looking for that. If you're looking for a place to rest and park your car while you explore Boston, this is a great choice.

Reviewed November 21, 2011

My son and I stayed with the hotel for 3 days. We got free upgraded, the room is nice, very near to the T station and just 3 minutes from Fenny Park. It would be great if the TV is bigger and nicer.