“Great stay in Boston”

Ranked #17 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Chicago, Illinois
“Great stay in Boston”
Reviewed August 13, 2006

The front desk, bell and concierge were all extremely friendly and my husband and I were equally impressed with their desire to go above and beyond what you might expect from this position.
Kids loved the rooftop pool, especially as a break from all the history we were trying to get through to them.

• Liked — Friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — Anyone can pay $25 to use the pool
  • Tips/Secrets — Get there early (8:30am) to book your Boston Duck tours (right across the street from this hotel)
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank GlenEllynMom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston
Reviewed July 16, 2006

I booked a room in this hotel for my friends bachelorette party. Upon check-in, we were told that they "sold out" of rooms with 2 beds. After expressing my frustration, explaining that this was my friend's bachelorette party, and insisting that our "bride" and "maid of honor" t-shirts were for real, the concierge finally "found" another room with 2 beds. The beds were awful - very hard and tiny. Our view looked out into a sketchy alley, which caused us to keep the drapes closed. The roof-top pool is not at all as glamorous as implied online. We were unable to find seats at the pool and forced to sit directly in front of the ladder. There were a ton of kids in the pool splashing around, which was also obnoxious. The bathroom was very small, the fixtures were all loose, the water pressure in the shower hurt it was so hard, and there was no fan. It certainly was just an average hotel. I was expecting a lot more, from the hotel website. It would have been an issue if we stayed longer then one night.

Other then that - the maid staff was very friendly - showing us where the ice machine was and offered a lot of plastic bags for ice and warned us that the ice buckets were not always clean. They also offered extra towels.

The other kicker is the $36/day parking - as if the $230 for a crummy hotel wasn't enough!

• Stayed July 2006
3 Thank CLB27
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed June 9, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed here over Labor Day Weekend and had a great time. The staff were all incredibly helpful and the location was fantastic. The pool was a great place to relax after a busy day of sightseeing. We will definitely return to this hotel next time we're in Boston.

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank TrailfinderIE
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed May 31, 2006

This is the second time I have stayed at the Colonnade and was once again extremly impressed. I stayed at the hotel the Saturday night of Memorial Day Weekend. The hotel is in a great location. The hotel is located right near The Shops at the Prudential Center, Neiman Marcus, Lord & Taylor, Shaw's Supermarket, the Hynes Convention Center, Newbury Street, Boylston Street and the Boston Public Gardens. A lot of the city's largest and/or most expensive hotels such as the Marriott Copley Square, Westin, Sheraton, Hilton, Copley Square Hotel, The Lenox, etc.) are located within steps of the Colonnade which go to prove the hotel is in a great area.

In back of the hotel is the Back Bay and South End neighborhoods of Boston so by simply walking around back you are in the midst of all these beautiful historic brownstones and apartment buildings.

The hotel is 10 stories and features the lobby and hotel restaurant (Brassiere Joe) on the first floor, parking is built in nicely to the 2nd and third floors and the hotel rooms are on the remaining floors with a rooftop pool which is the best in the city and one of the best in country on top.

The rooms are nicely sized with nice bathrooms and big windows...my only complaint was that the TV was a little small but there was cable with HBO. Parking does cost $36.00 for 24 hours...but this is the city and that is what other hotels with parking right at the hotel charge and parking includes the opportunity to go in and out as much as you want. Some rooms have views of the Prudential Center/Sheraton/Hilton/Convention Center complex area and others have views of the Back Bay which is nice to see all the historic apartment buildings and brownstones.

I came into the city via the MassPike from west of the city and so the hotel was literally right out of the tunnel in downtown.

I would definitly stay at this hotel again!!!!

• Stayed May 2006
9 Thank Michael C
Bar Harbor, Maine
Reviewed May 5, 2006

Years ago, The Colonnade was a great hotel. When a conference I was attending included it among its listings, I did not hesitate to book a room here. Just before the trip, I checked TripAdvisor reviews and was alarmed to see a rash of negative reports, mainly citing ongoing construction. I sent an e-mail to the hotel and received reassurance from the director of rooms that I would be assigned a room well-away from the construction zone. Well, I was, but that was all you could say about the room. In contrast to previous stays, it was small, dark and very worn out. The sheets were thin, showing through to a double-sized mattress pad turned sideways on a king-size bed and the thin blanket was totally pilled with its satin lining in shreds. Curtain liners were unraveling.. You get the picture, not anywhere near a 4-star hotel. Guestroom WiFi is contracted out to Guestlinx and is quite expensive - $39.95 for 3-days. It worked the first night, then the entire system went down; I spent a long time dealing with the outsourced automated system before getting to a human being in India or somewhere on a connection so bad he could not hear me and hung up. I had to start over. again, not 4-star service. The shower head was cheesy and water pressure was uneven. Noise from the hallway (near the elevator) came right into the room, worst of all was the last morning at 4 AM I was subjected to loud yelling and swearing in the hall. Although the staff was very nice and breakfast at Brasserie Jo quite nice, I would not consider returning to The Colonnade. There are too many other better options in Boston. Even though I e-mailed the director of rooms my displeasure during my stay, I heard back nothing, and no compensation was offered me when upon checkout I replied in the negative to "was everything OK?" I am sorry to add a negative review, as this was an old sentimental favorite, but there were just too many things wrong to retain my former loyalty. Look elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank Tellurian
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 26, 2006

What else can I say...this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at! The place looks okay from the outside and the breakfast they serve isn't too bad. However, the room quality is the worst I have ever seen. Of the hundreds of hotels I have stayed at in my time, nothing else comes close. No Red Roof Inn, no Motel 6, no Econolodge I have been to had rooms in such disrepair.

At night , no one at the desk to talk to...I stayed at the front desk for about 10 mts. until a manager from the dinning room came and called someone from the back !

Electrical outlets were falling out of the wall, the ceiling looked like it suffered severe water damage, the TV coax cable was ripped out of the wall, the furniture was stained and broken down, the door had big chunks of wood missing from it, the carpet was stained and torn, and the bathroom fixtures were the cheapest plastic junk available on the market. On the plus side, the bed was comfortable. The closet, though, was so small I couldn't even fit my luggage on the floor inside.

Anyway, this place needs to shut down for a year or so while the entire place is renovated on the inside. This felt like a 1 star motel and I wouldn't return even if no other acomodation were available in the entire Boston area.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 23, 2006

You walk in and it smells of fish from the dinning room !l.....there really is no lobby to speak of. The smoking rooms were absolutely disgusting. No ventilation, horrible smell, bathrooms outdated, ice not on every floor and the furniture worn and shredding. The room service breakfast was served cold on a broken table....
pool was closed !
the desk could not cash my personal check, it took them for ever, they need to be trained.
We had other family members staying in non-smoking rooms and in the same hotel, the rooms were just as stuffy, no windows to open due to constructions, and were outdated. Another family member tried to make a reservation and they were told it was sold out. Well the next morning in the lobby I heard the front desk clerk asking the Manager if he wanted to stay over that night, and which room did he want. We are Marriott members and stayed here because family made the reservations.....never again. Book elsewhere!!!

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business