“We liked it here”

Ranked #57 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Toms River
“We liked it here”
Reviewed October 6, 2010

When in Boston my wife and I usually stay on the outskirts of Boston to get a cheaper rate. Our only necessity is that we are close to a T stop. Lately we have been staying at the Holiday Inn Express on Boston Street. It is close to the Andrew stop on the red line. We have been happy there. It gets good reviews on Trip Advisor. So, for the purpose of this review, I will draw comparisons between the Double tree and the HIE. When we fly into Boston we head straight for the T machine in B terminal. We get our 7 day link passes which are a bargain at 15 dollars. We take the silver line to South Station. From there we took the red line to the JFK UMASS stop. It is the next stop after Andrew. The hotel is a very short walk from the T stop. It is closer to the T stop than the HIE is from the Andrew stop. The hotel is not really that attractive from the outside. The lobby is quite large when you enter the hotel. There is a small bar, a deli counter, small computer room with two computers. The lobby has some comfortable chairs and sofas in it. The nod on the lobby area goes to the Double Tree. We arrived before check in time and were immediately given our room keys. The room was large with a nice flat screen tv. The bathroom was also of a good size with plenty of hot water. The towels were really thick. Each bed had five pillows on it. My wife is a real pillow freak so she was in heaven. We each slept well. We heard no noise from the rooms next door. Once again the room experience goes to the Double Tree. The HIE offers a free breakfast while the Double Tree does not. Their food offerings are on the limited side. The nod goes to the HIE here. There are really no restaurants within walking distance from the hotel. The HIE has a few. The nod goes to the HIE here also. We have never seen a friendlier group of cleaning staff workers then we did at the Double Tree. They all said hello whenever they saw you. The staff and the desk seemed both friendly and efficient. We were able to walk to the JFK library. It was a 15 minute walk from the hotel. If this seems too far there is a free shuttle which runs from the T stop. There is a Shaw's supermarket located near the T stop. It seemed to get a large amount of people who walked to and from the market. My wife and I had enough Hilton honors points to get two free nights here. After reading the trip advisor reviews I told her that we should not expect too much. I was very pleased at how much I liked the hotel. In the future we would pay to stay here if the price is right. I think the people who complain about the hotel not being close to town and activities should do a little more research before they book. If you want to be downtown then be prepared to pay downtown prices. If you are resourceful and don't mind riding the T and doing a little walking then save some money and stay here. One more thing. If you walk through the large parking lot behind the hotel you will be on the water. This is a great place to take a long walk. You can walk the Carson beach area and you almost feel that you are at the seashore. Probably very cold in the winter months though.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sheltercove

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Michigan
Reviewed October 2, 2010

My experience with the shuttle service and the staff in general was much better than described in other reviews. My wait for the shuttle at Logan was no more than 10 minutes and the return was right on time. The drivers were fine as were the front desk staff. Furthermore, I was able to get into my room at 10 am.

On the other hand, I concur with the other reviews regarding the hotel's location. Aside from the JFK T-stop being only a few minutes walk away, the is nothing else nearby. Furthermore the dining options at the hotel are extremely limited.

Lastly, they charge for in-room wireless internet.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 29, 2010

the room keys would lock themselve all the time! the regular staff woulb be nice to us and give us new ones, they knew we where there for a week. one night after the main reason we went it was night, we were tired and gregg the manager, ( it was not fisrt time that he saw us) was there and he was just rude to me, my friends and my family. the only reason i post this is because there's no one else we could tell about our situation.
No restaurants around. The only deli place with terrible fast food. business center with 2 computers and only one worked dsl slowest internet.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 24, 2010

The biscotti cookie from the cafe is excellent - you may want to swing by and get one if you're headed to U Mass or the JFK Library - but other than that, you may want to spend more for a room in Boston.

I was in Boston working with two nonprofit organizations and need to be careful about r expenses since my client will be reimbursing me. It seemed that $300-$400/night for a room in Boston was crazy - I've never had to pay that amount before, but this week the hotel rates in town were at least 50% more than usual.

The Doubletree Bayside was $189/night - $216 with taxes and fees. I'm a Diamond level guest at the Hilton Brand hotels but my experience was no gem! I had a freeway-side room for 3 nights and never say the bay until I was waiting for the elevator on the 5th floor. When I checked in at 5:00 PM there was construction activity in the room above me which concluded at 6:00 PM. I was told that they were remodeling a "view room" and that they would be done that day (which was true). Still, why was I put in a room near construction? The bathroom sink is cracked, the desk chair was so uncomfortable that it was actually causing me pain (which they changed out the next day for a different chair), I slept in the very middle of the king bed because it is apparently so old, it has two 'body dents' from everyone that has slept there before me. While the hotel enticed me the ability to get dinner and breakfast onsite, the reality is a sandwich and salad shop with premade eggs, lots of bread and nothing hot to eat for dinner. Don't think you'll just step out and walk to dinner - oh no! There is no where to go. I was given a pizza menu, an asian take out menu and "homemade food" menu which turned out to be pizza and seafood but nothing quite "homemade". In desperation I called a nearby restaurant and ordered delivery - later I spend sometime in the bathroom relieving myself of a dinner that clearly did not take.............. The business center is a very small room with two computers that run the speed of a snail. I couldn't print my boarding pass from one so I had to start the airline check-in and boarding pass print process again from the other..... Both mornings of my early stay I woke up early and got online to see if I could get another hotel room somewhere else in town....... all booked for the week. I'll certainly stay elsewhere next time. That's sad because I am a faithful Hilton traveler, but this experience certainly changes my opinion of the Hilton brand in Boston.

Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed September 21, 2010

I stayed for the recent ICAAC meeting at the Waterfront Convention Center. Although it had the potential to be a positive experience, the most disappointing part of the stay was poor shuttle service. I felt like a second class citizen compared to the Amtrak staff who were given priority. I called for a ride from the airport and the driver came in 15 minutes. This was relatively quickly compared to the other couple we picked up who said they were waiting 45 minutes. The real problem for me started when we pulled into a dark alley by the Amtrak station. We were given no explanation other than it would just be a few minutes. After 30 minutes and several phone calls by the driver, the Amtrak staff arrived. We could have been to the hotel and back in the time we waited. I would have taken a taxi if I knew we were going to wait to fill the van. When booking for the conference I was under the impression that the meeting would have motorcoaches shuttle attendees to the convention center. Apparently this service was cancelled due to low numbers but the hotel agreed to shuttle attendees instead. That was a good attempt at customer service, but the van only held 11 people and often there were 20 or more waiting to attend morning sessions. With departures only on the hour, I made a reservation but it made no difference because the driver said it was "first come, first serve". I tried to call a taxi, but it took 20 minutes to arrive because of the distant location from downtown. Granted this hotel was by far the cheapest associated with the conference, but I would have looked elsewhere if I knew in advance that the shuttle service would be so horrible. The rooms are nothing special, and the cafe is ok but there is nothing else to eat within walking distance. The train station is nearby but requires a transfer to reach the convention center so I will not be staying here again for a meeting at the Waterfront.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 6, 2010

I would have preferred to stay in downtown Boston where all the action is but the price at this hotel was more in my budget. However, to get into downtown it was very easy. It is just a 4 - 8 minute walk to train, depending on how much traffic there was you had to cross over. Apparently, the hotel shuttle goes between their location and the downtown location a few times a day. So, you could sign up for that but the train was very easy that we didn't bother with the shuttle. Speaking of the hotel shuttle...The driver I had to and from the airport was horrible. Not a personable fellow but that is okay it was more the return from the hotel to the airport that made me regret not reporting him to the hotel management right way. He was talking on his cell phone the entire time. Some states that is illegal to do! He was also not wearing a seatbelt. So, every five minutes or so the beeping sound would ring for about 30 seconds to remind him to buckle up but I guess he could not hear it cause he was so involved in that cell phone call. I felt real safe when he got a call in on his walkie-talkie about another pick up he needed to make so at this point he has his cell in one hand sort of half way holding onto the steering wheel and the walkie-talkie in the other. I regret not taking a picture of all this action as directly behind him was a sign posted to the riders..."buckle up!" OK, so bad hotel shuttle driver but I am sure they have others that I hope you get. The fact that it is free is a nice feature the hotel offers but I had to wait 35 minutes for it to show up and then it took about 30 to get to the hotel as it made additional stops at the Amtrak station. I suggest calling for a pick up as soon as you step off the plane. If you want to visit the John F. Kennedy library, which I recommend, this hotel is very convenient for that. You just walk to the closest train station from the hotel where a free bus picks up every 20 minutes and then the library/museum is just 10 minutes away. The hotel rooms were very tight - two double beds in the room and that was about all that fit. Like the Au Bon Pain in the hotel as it was easy to grab something fast for breakfast to take on into downtown where we really wanted to be. Free wi-fi in the lobby, not in rooms, that it looked like a lot of people were taking advantage of.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2010

This hotel is a 60-70´s hotel not upgraded since then...
It is old fashioned and not modernised... The rooms are hughe and the beds awesome, but the rest of the hotel could be avoided...
Definitvely a good spot if you are visiting something close but nothing to do if what you want to see is boston itself.
Also, the breakfast is in a kind of small cafeteria and a bit expensive...
Not a hotel for a brand as hilton...
I wouldn´t recomend unless you need to work close by...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business