“basic but great for a short stay”

DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Boston Bayside
Ranked #57 of 83 Hotels in Boston
DUBLIN
“basic but great for a short stay”
Reviewed November 25, 2008

stayed one night pre cruise from boston ,pick up from airport ,shuttle from hotel to city ctr ,and shuttle from hotel to cruise ship saturday morning all included in price great deal,hotel travel lodge style in/out rooms great size very clean ,staff very good ,small snack bar good choice ,metro line two minutes away ,i really liked what was on offer dont know if i would stay more than three ngts not much local activity but a great base at a fair price

• Stayed September 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2008

I booked this as part of my multi-city tour of the North Eastern USA, and spent my 4 Boston nights here. Doubletree, for those who don't know is part of the Hilton family of hotel brands, and as such it is very much a chain hotel. Doubletree make a thing of giving you a warm cookie when you check in, and I must admit it was a very nice cookie!

One thing they don't mention, or at least wasn't mentioned by Hotels.
com, is that they run a shuttle bus to a) the downtown Doubletree (which is hourly, and if you time it right saves you having to use the subway) and b) the airport. I rang the front desk from Logan when we arrived and the shuttle bus was with us within 20 minutes.

The hotel itself is quite unassuming, literally next door to the Bayside Expo centre, and overlooking the bay (and by definition, about 50% of the rooms get a bay view out of the window). The rooms are standard fare for a chain hotel, with a nice comfy bed, a decent set of TV channels (plus games for an extra fee) and a desk to work at should you really feel the need. The bakery downstairs offers a good selection of pastries and the like for breakfast or snacks, and after 2pm they start selling some of the items off for $1 a piece, which is a *real* bargain.

In terms of driving, if you drive to the hotel be warned it is $10 a day to use their parking lot. However, the hotel is so close to the T Station for UMass it's really well connected to downtown anyway, and there's no need to take the car in to Boston!

All said and done I couldn't fault this hotel at all. Comfy, well located, and the staff are in the most helpful (if not always the sharpest minds) and will go out of their way to help you.

• Liked — Free shuttle service was an unexpected bonus
  • Disliked — Staff could seem insincere at times.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Conaz
england
Reviewed October 23, 2008

Oct 8 2008 1xnight stay. The doubletree is an 'OK' hotel, but in places the need for new carpets/furniture shows. Value for money, again 'OK'. As like other reviewers we also found it excellant for the T network. It is in a neighbourhood away from Boston (thats why at times you can get a good rate) but to us we didn't find it a problem.Didn't like the fact they charge for leaving your car in there carpark, even though you are a paying guest. Bed/linen up to Hilton standard, & made for a goodnights sleep. Conclusion-: it's 'OK' everything people have said about the 'TREE' on this site is about right. . . . . . . . 'OK'

• Liked — Bed/Linen
  • Disliked — Carpark charge/stained furniture
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank melndjan
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 30, 2008

I expected this room at the Doubletree to be comparable to the very nice one I stayed in a couple of days before in Burlington, VT. It was not. It was more expensive and the room was not updated at all. No solid surface counters or nice fixtures plus the wi-fi in the room was not free, not even for Hilton HHonors members. It was very standard; typical of a Red Roof Inn or something similar. There were creepy stains on the chair and on the blanket at the foot of the bed. I expected more since I paid almost $200 for a night here. The only indication that it was a Hilton hotel was the comfortable mattress and duvet, the Nutrogena products, and the cookies you get at check in. Also, the front desk and bar staff were very friendly and they do have two computers in the lobby if you need to get online (free of charge). I would only stay here again at a greatly discounted rate because it is so, so close (about a block) to the subway.

• Liked — The proximity to the subway; the wait staff in the bar, the cookie
  • Disliked — Upholstry stains, dirty blanket, standard room in need of remodel
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dewbaum
California
Reviewed September 14, 2008

I forgot to write a few reviews of our 07 summer trip and I didn't want to forget this one. This one was by far the nicest hotel we stayed in our entire NY, New England trip.
Comfort, Comfort, Comfort. Slept like babies. Mom, Dad and almost 15 year old daughter.
Nice view of water.
Easy Check in.
Warning: Our GPS had us way off, good thing we had directions!
Very easy and close access to the T transportation by a pleasant walk.
Not in Boston, but then again, the T was so fast it didn't matter.
Very pleasant. The only Negative was the cost of the deli breakfast which wasn't very good. Maybe that has changed....
No options around, either. We ate in town.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — breakfast option
  • Stayed July 2007
1 Thank bjsr
New York City
Reviewed September 10, 2008

Stayed at the Doubltree Boston Bayside in Novemeber of '07.
My choice was motivated by the fact that it was the most reasonably priced hotel for the timframe I was traveling and as I am a Hilton Honors member decided to give it a try. I Took the Amtrak Acela, a relaxing 3-1/2 hour trip frop from NYC. Arrived at South Station at 1:30 P.M.and connected with the "T" (subway) for a two stop ride south to the JFKUMass stop.I walked into the hotel around 2:00 - made great time. I greatly enjoyed my stay at this property. I found the service outstanding from check-in to check-out; the chocolate-chip cookies upon check-in are sooooo addictive and delicious! I bought two tins to take home with me. The only wrinkle in my stay was that I was given a double-bedded room instead of the king I had rrequested; even with that though, I found the room quite spacious and comfortable, so it was not a major problem in my opinion as I was traveling solo.

I can understand other writers' concern with the neighborhood.
I do agree that there is not much in the immediate area. However, I
disagree that it is a bad or dangerous area. The subway is only two bloxks away and is used at all times and contributes to much foot
traffic through the late night hours - I regularly returned from town
late at night and had no problems - the area also has a visible secu-
rity presence due to the University of Massachessetts and the Bay-
side Convention Center both across from the hotel (just two blocks
from the "T". Also, the JFK Library and Museum is about a mile away
from the hotel. This is a must-see experience. If you cannot walk
take a cab! And speaking of transportation, a word about the hotel
shuttle - it only runs until 9:00 P.M. and only goes to the downtown
Boston Doubletree in the Theatre District, so if you want the shuttle
for the return trip you need to find your own way to that hotel. In my
opinion the advantage of a shuttle is to pick you up anywhere within a certain radius as in other properties I have stayed. This setup can-
cels out that convienience. I was fine taking the "T" duiring my entire stay so I was not affected by this - I only mention this for other guests to be aware of.

Regarding the hotel itself, I had a great stay as mentioned
above. My room was spacious and spotlessly clean with all the ame-
nities I needed.The entire property is in pristine condition and very
welcoming and homey, especially in the morning where guests carried their breakfast into the beautiful sun-filled lobby and also at
night when guests would congregate at the bar. The restaurant at the hotel is an Au Bon Pain outlet which may not suit all tastes, and while it may have its limitations, the food was good and filling. The breakfasts were just fine and reasonably priced with several hot specials offered each morning. The rest of the menu is mostly sandwiches, salads, pastries (including those chocolate-chip cookies) and coffee. So if you had a more substantial meal in mind (esp. for dinner) you would either have to go out or order from the room service directory which features delivery from several local restaurants. That said, Boston has many excellent restaurants all over town and you will most likely not even miss not having dinner in the hotel.

The entire staff was very helpful and accomodating with any
request I had - housekeeping,restaurant recommendations or reservations, sightseeing or anything else I approached them about. The staff of a hotel can often make or break one's stay, but there was no problem here - everyone was great.

In summary, the Doubletree Boston Bayside is an overlooked bargain (by Boston standards) and should be considered at any time, including when downtown properties are either booked full or too expensive. The "T" is only a short walk from the hotel and will take you anywhere in minutes and more than makes up for the hotel's somewhat unusual location. It is a welcome alternative to the way overpriiced digs in downtown and elsewhere and should be seriously considered when visiting the Boston area. I am sure the Doubletree will not disappoint, so give it a try. I would certainly consider this hotel if my travels take me to Boston in the future, The price is right, the staff is terrific, and the rooms are comfortable. What more could one ask?

• Liked — Great staff and customer service, hotel clean and inviting, clean comfortable rooms.
  • Disliked — Location a bit removed from downtown-if you don't use the T you may have problems.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank intrepidtrav
New Hampshire
Reviewed September 8, 2008

My friend and I had a weekend in Boston on 23-Sep-08 and I booked a night at the Doubltree Club Hotel - Boston Bayside. AWESOME stay! Extremely clean room, VERY comfortable bed with a warm cookie waiting on our pillow. Had Neutrogena products in the spotless bathroom, great coffee in the room, (a chef's blend none the less)...plenty of towels, never ran low on anything as room service was EXCELLENT, and had a great view of the City of Boston. (recommend an end unit)...plenty of windows.

We were not familiar with the T; and the extremely helpful people at the front desk gave us the info. we needed; including restaurants, etc..

Furthermore, we were able to take advantage of their free shuttle service when we were tired and just wanted to avoid the T... late at night; so because it was late and the driver was NOT on his regularly scheduled stops, we called the hotel just for the heck of it, and asked if they could come and pick us up. He came within 10-15 minutes with a huge smile and brought us back to the hotel.

They have a wonderful Au Bon Pain inside the lobby; where they make INCREDIBLE wraps or bagel sandwiches... very healthy options and terrific coffees. The girl working that morning was sweet as can be.

They also offer free interenet service in the lobby as well.

EXCELLENT SERVICE at this hotel all around; very helpful, friendly people working here and for the price, you CANNOT beat it, as far as I'm concerned. Try finding a hotel soooo close to everything under $200/nite; it's basically impossibe unless it's a dump.

It's extremely easy to get to also; because it's just off of Rte. 93; so you don't drive directly into the City persay, it's a wonderful location! Don't quite understand, honestly about a previous poster claiming it's not in the best part of town? It's totally fine. The parking is only $10.00/day and it's a gated lot; so I didn't worry about my car at all the whole weekend.

I would DEFINETELY recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a really nice place to stay just outside the madness that won't charge ridiculous prices.

• Liked — VALUE.... CLEANLINESS...GRACIOUS STAFF AND GREAT LOCATION
  • Disliked — NOTHING
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends