“Nickled and Dimed”

DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Boston Bayside
Ranked #62 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I have stayed at lesser hotels with better complimentary service, such as: 1. Free access to Wi-Fi instead of being nicked-and-dimed by DoubleTree. Don't know why, but my standard smart phone 4G seemed blocked inside the hotel. Email description says: "We offer our guests Wi-Fi" (but does not mention that it is not offered, it is sold. Pirates. 2. Comfort Inn had complimentary and delicious breakfast and coffee every morning. DoubleTree, you can't even get a cup of coffee unless you make it yourself in your room or pay $2 a cup. 3. Doors slamming by other guests was loud actually shook the beds in our room. 4. Internet description says DoubleTree is "near" great restaurants and shops. It took a $25 cab ride to go 3.8 miles. Near the subway was really the greatest benefit of this location. 5. Business office was very HOT and uncomfortable and there was often a line waiting to use the 3 computers.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Alan M

Reviewed October 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed here when visiting Boston for her sister's MIT graduation. The hotel is nice, but aging a bit. Parking is Ina secured lot, but there is not much near the hotel in terms of restaurants, shopping, etc. There is a train station about a block away.

Getting to downtown is a short trip on the freeway across the bridge, if traffic is not bad, but can take along time in traffic.

Overall, I would stay here again, but downtown hotels are more convenient when not marked up ridiculously for events.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We were given room 340. It was so shabby. The carpet had so many stains, I didn't want to take my shoes off. The desk chair was so stained, I didn't want to sit on it. The headboard had obvious grease stains. The wallpaper was curling up. The telephone was covered with schmutz. The other chair was coming apart. The night tables were very worn.

I went back to the desk and told them I was nyot satisfied and they gave me a different room right away. The new room was on the 5th floor. That floor was marked on the elevator as a "Hilton Honors" floor. It had been remodeled fairly recently and the difference was like night and day. Since I am a Hilton Honors member, I don't know why I didn't get a room on the 5th floor in the first place.

I would also like to mention that this place is almost impossible to find. While that is not entirely the hotel's fault, they could improve the signage and put so etching on their website. One of the reasons we picked this place was their shuttle service. However, because it was going to take over an hour to get picked up at the airport, my husband took a cab. The cab got lost and it took over an hour anyway. I came from the south, via car, and it was extremely difficult to find the hotel, even with mapquest.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephen_Pole, General Manager at DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Boston Bayside, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Thank you for sharing this quick feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input and apologize for our missteps in service and guestroom comfort. We will keep your comments in mind as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience and hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in town and let us know how we are doing.

Stephen Pole

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I rarely review hotels but I was so disappointed by this stay it feels necessary to warn others. As I was a guest of a conference sponsor, my recent trip to Boston was one of the first in a long time that I have not had to "worry" about cost and I went with the recommended conference hotel -- Doubletree Bayside Boston is that for U Mass Boston. I also brought my 13 year old daughter. We are FAR from hotel snobs -- all we need is clean, safe and reliable. We were shocked when we came on a sunday and no one seemed to be around, then the desk person was not able to help us find anything in Boston or even orient us locally -- "im not good with maps" he tells us ( A HOTEL DESK PERSON!) and the hotel itself and U mass was not on the map they provided. Then the room -- stained carpet, bedspread with holes in it, scratched bureaus -- it looked and felt like some of the seedy hotels I used to stay in when I was single and able to rough it. We even felt somewhat unsafe there. We've stayed at Doubletrees throughout the country and NEVER had an experience like this.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Michelle,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input and sincerely apologize if you felt in any way unsafe during your visit. We have security measures in place to ensure your safety and will share your comments on our front desk service as part of our ongoing training for exceptional guest satisfaction. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to quality hospitality.

Stephen Pole

Reviewed October 3, 2013

The lobby was bright and welcoming. The room was ok, clean bedding and bathroom. The concerns were sharing a door between us and the other room; no refrigerator, no microwave, not enough parking spaces 'had to park in the front in the Handicap spot. The concierge personnel was pleasant and informative.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2013

As much as my husband and I wanted to stay downtown prior to our cruise, we knew we had little time to justify an expensive hotel. I researched reviews through trip advisor and chose this one. Part of the reason was the free shuttle service from the hotel and to the cruise port. The hotel was only 2 blocks from the UMass train stop. It was an easy walk - not sure if I would like to do it at night. The hotel lobby was very pleasant and had several areas to visit with family or friends. There was even a small bar to get a drink. Eating options were limited but the small restaurant made deli sandwiches with Boar's Head Meats. The rooms were adequate and the beds very comfortable. The front desk staff were wonderful and very helpful. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jean A
Reviewed October 2, 2013

This hotel is pretty good; convenient for the airport (10 min drive), easy to get down town as JFK metro station in just 2 mins away and takes just 10 mins on red line into centre, pretty quiet and good decor. It has a gym but it's quite small (just 2 treadmills and 1 eliptical exerciser + some resistance equip). Price was pretty reasonable for Boston. However the food options were really limited. I went out for dinner near by (cafe Polonia) but for breakfast the choice was from a mini-cafe all served on plastic plates with plastic cutlery. No buffet.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business