“Will not likely stay here again”

DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Boston Bayside
Ranked #58 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Orinda, California
“Will not likely stay here again”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed for one night after coming in on a later flight from Denver. I chose this hotel for a number of reasons - 1) reasonable price, 2) free airport shuttle, 3) proximity to the subway as I needed to get to Brookline via subway in the morning and 4) because it was a Hilton property although I have never stayed in a DoubleTree before. When I got to Logan at 11:30 p.m. and called the hotel about the shuttle they told me it had stopped running. So I had to pay $30 for a cab since the hotel is quite far from the airport. I knew this as I had previously lived, worked and went to school in Boston, but again they said they had a free shuttle. When I got to the hotel I was told by the front desk they sent the shuttle driver home early due to family issues. That's understandable, but shouldn't they have a back up driver? The room was okay, but for the fact that my non-smoking room smelled as it had been smoked in at some point and there were even cigarette burns in the carpet. The customer service at this hotel is a mixed bag. The front desk people were very nice. Others seemed to be bothered by my requests (for a glass of wine from the bar, coffee in the morning). Again, I will not likely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank spazgirl
Stephen_Pole, General Manager at DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Boston Bayside, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience via TripAdvisor. We are so sorry for the airport shuttle issue you encountered and we apologize for the hassle and additional expense it caused you. We will use your experience and feedback as part of our ongoing training as we work to improve our guests' satisfaction. We hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you return to Boston so that we can show you the quality service and amenities you expect and deserve from us.

Stephen Pole

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Santo Andre, SP
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The room is fine, attending the standard expected for any hilton hotel. The price is lower due to the fact that it's not in Boston center, but it's very easy to get there since JFK station is right across the street. The welcome coockie is delicious.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CarolinaFHS
Portland, Maine, United States
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The room was what I paid for. The customer service of the hotel staff was horrible. Everything about the hotel could be perfect but if the customer service is lacking you have lost me as a customer. Customer service is key to keeping me as a customer. I will never stay at this property again!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Mark R
Stephen_Pole, General Manager at DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Boston Bayside, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Mark,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your quick feedback via TripAdvisor. We understand that you were disappointed in the service you received during your recent stay and we sincerely apologize for this poor experience. We strive to provide the quality hospitality you expect and deserve from our brand and we will use your comments as part of our ongoing training to do just that. We hope you will consider staying with us again so we might show you an improved quality of stay should you travel to our area again in the future. We welcome any additional comments or suggestions you would like to share and invite you to contact our offices directly if we may be of any assistance.

Stephen Pole
Agawam, MA
Reviewed February 14, 2013

When reviewing this hotel, you really have to look at the price point. Clearly there are better hotels in Boston, but you will not find a better value in Boston. You can stay at this hotel for $110 on average, and parking is only $10. In fact, I have parked here several times without even getting a room, because the price is so good. You just can't beat that!!

As far as location goes...you can't walk anywhere, but the JFK/UMass T stop (redline) is a short 3 minute walk, and from there you can go anywhere. I believe there is a Silver and Purple commuter line there as well.

I've stayed here about 10 times and I've never had a bad experience. The hotel staff is always friendly, the breakfast is pretty good, and the rooms are comfortable, and being a DoubleTree, you get free chocolate cookies, that are warm and delicious. Last time I stayed there, I noticed the lobby had been totally renovated and there is a bar in there now, it is a very small, very quiet bar, but if you need a drink you can get one.

So, you can stay at the Hilton Downtown Boston, and pay double or triple for the room, plus $45 to park there... Or you can stay here, save some money and walk to the T stop.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wildbillA8
Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 10, 2013

At first we had a very good experience with checking in, the staff was very nice, especially the night manager "Hamed". We were here Feb. 4 thru Feb 12, 2013 so we were stuck here for the blizzard. I understand things were slow, that's to be expected, but 2 days we had no maid service at all. Our flight got cancelled and we had to stay an extra 2 days then the staff became no help at all. We had to walk through the snow in 20 degree weather to a grocery store when they had a perfectly good shuttle just sitting. One manager said we could do the shuttle and the other said we couldn't. The cafe was WAY too expensive to eat everyday and that was all that was available. I mean $15 for a burger? Really? The hotel itself is very nice, and very clean, but the day manager was very unfriendly and uncooperative and wouldn't help out a military family that had a huge dilemna with no car and stuck in a city we have never been in before. He just did not care.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor to the rear of the building and they werequiet and sunny.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ellendoon
Stephen_Pole, General Manager at DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Boston Bayside, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We sincerely apologize for the unfortunate situation you were in due to the storm and assure you the safety and comfort of our guests was our top priority. We hate to hear of any guest feeling ignored or unimportant and we will use your comments as part of our ongoing customer service training. We hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you are in the area so we might show you the quality hospitality you expect and deserve from us.

Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Everything about my hotel stay was pleasant. The staff was extremely friendly and check-in was done expeditiously. Their cookies were 'better' than other DoubleTree hotels I've stayed in. The room looked re-designed and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom sink faucet does drip and the bathtub is slow draining. There is a T-stop (JFK/UMass) is barely a 3 minute walk and will take you wherever you want in the city and beyond. Hotel does offer shuttle service to/from the airport but I suggest you call ahead for airport pickup before you get your luggage because it could be as much as a half-hour wait.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KenC58
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Located in a quiet neighborhood with little traffic and out if the flight path this is the place for a good nights rest. You have to pay to park but that is common in Boston the fee is lower than most. Gas stations are non existent so fill up before you get in the downtown area. Has an excellent snack bar for breakfast with friendly staff

• Stayed January 2013