“Great Location But Disappointing”
Review of Harborside Inn

Harborside Inn
Ranked #50 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Boston
“Great Location But Disappointing”
Reviewed March 17, 2007

This hotel is in a great location, conveniently located adjacent to Quincy Market, historical sites and a lot of restaurants. But the entire hotel is undergoing serious renovation which detracts significantly from the appearance and quality of the place. Think noise, dust and smells associated with construction. There was no mention of this on their website which is unethical.

The price was very attractive compared to some other nearby hotels but is probably fair for the quality of the room. Our room was not nearly as nice looking as the website photos. There were no drapes and the metal blinds were old, beat up and dirty. The bathroom was clean but very dated looking. I didn't think the shower curtain was clean.

We stayed one night, which was our plan. As a place to sleep and shower, it was OK, but you wouldn't want to spend any extra time lounging in your room here.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Rainman16, Mark Hagopian Operating Partner at Harborside Inn, responded to this review, March 26, 2007
We are currently making improvements to the hotel.
Almost all hotels must do this constantly because they never shut down.

These improvements in our opinion do not detract from the quality of the hotel.

We maintain the highest levels of integrity and have never been accused of being unethical.

Our rooms look exactly like the pictures on the website. Except for the new shower curtains, new mattresses, new pillows , new paint and new bed spreads.

Lastly the fact that we offer one of the best locations and price in the entire city should be considered.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, England
Reviewed March 12, 2007

I was travelling alone and had an atrium room at the Harborside Inn and stayed for three nights. It's in a great location - just minutes away from the Quincy Market - which meant it didn't really matter that there were no food facilities in the hotel as you could buy all sorts of food close by.

The room itself was great - large and with a very comfy bed. While they left out a magazine about the city, that was as far as the hotel literature went, and I would have liked to have been given some more info about the hotel and the surroundings as you usually get when staying somewhere.

One day I didn't leave the room until lunchtime and was delighted that the room was made up by the housekeeper in the afternoon (I expected they would just leave it at that time).
The front desk staff were friendly and helpful and there is free internet access in the lobby.

• Liked — Great room and friendly service
  • Disliked — No food facilities
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
Swansea
Reviewed January 3, 2007

Having seen the sample photos on the website, I was expecting great things, and I wasn't disappointed.

The place isn't 5 star (and doesn't claim to be!), but it looked clean, comfortable and in a great location.

The Harborside lived up to my expectations, with friendly, helpful staff. The rooms were very homely, and the comfortable bed ensured I always had a good night's sleep. The bathroom was also more than adequate.

The location was so good that I spent the whole week without needing a cab (except to and from the airport).

All in all, I had excellent value for the money I spent, and I'd have no hesitation in staying in the Harborside again.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled solo
Illinois
Reviewed November 28, 2006

I stayed here for 2 nights in mid-Nov 2006. I chose the hotel partly based on the helpful reviews posted here; thanks to the reviewers for helping me make my choice!

Positives:
-- I had a huge room, beautifully decorated, with large bathroom.
-- I chose a room facing the interior atrium to avoid street noise and was very happy with that decision, as the room was very quiet both nights.
-- I requested and received early check-in, about 1 PM, without any problems whatsoever.
-- Hotel staff were helpful and friendly.
-- Service of the room was excellent; it was kept clean and serviced promptly each day.
-- This is a great location, convenient to the Quincy Market area (just a minute or so of walking). It is a short walk from the water taxi stop on Long Wharf and sits almost on top of the Aquarium (Blue Line) T stop. Numerous restaurants are nearby.
-- As a woman traveling alone, I felt safe walking around in the hotel neighborhood by myself at night.
-- The bed was extremely comfortable, and the reading lights were good.
-- There is a large, secured (locked) storage area for luggage, in case you need to arrive early or late.
-- There is free internet in the lobby.

Negatives:
-- The Aquarium T stop was closed for part of my stay (not the hotel's fault, of course!), but the Government Center and State stops are only about a 5-minute walk away as well. However, if it is critical for you to have the T stop right there, I would advise checking the MTBA website to see if any closures of the Aquarium stop are planned during your stay.

I was very pleased with this hotel and would happily stay here again. Thanks again to the earlier reviewers who helped me make the choice.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed November 19, 2006

I was in Boston for a weekend visit. to do some shopping. I travel quite a bit for pleasure and business. We were very disappointed with this hotel. It is in a good location, you can walk everywhere or take the T, but with that also comes the noise from VERY busy nightclubs on both sides of the hotel.

Our room looked nothing like the photos on the internet, we had a cityview room. There were very small windows with a ledge that hadn't been painted in years all the paint was chipped off on the floor. The bathroom was dirty, walls dirty, sink cracked, tub old. The floors were not clean, we pulled out the so called sofabed (it is a chair) and the sheets were dirty with crumbs etc. I called downstairs to get some clean sheets, they just dumped them on the bed when we were out, didn't even make the bed or take the dirty bedding away. It was just a very beat up room from the broken blinds, dirty curtains and smelled like stale smoke.

The photos on the internet showed large windows, nice large rooms and brick walls...ours looked NOTHING like the photos. Low ceilings, small, and very small windows.

It was loud at night with the nightclubs untill about 2am. If you want to stay somewhere relaxing and quiet this is not the hotel. I love to go out and we had a good dinner and drinks a couple doors down, the crowd at the bars next door were loud and rowdy.

I have stayed at hundreds of hotels all over the country and world, I will not return to this hotel even though it is a excellent location to see the city on foot! I will stay at the Marriott or another boutique hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirty rooms, false advertising on website.
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not expect much
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
jacksonville
Reviewed November 2, 2006

I had the pleasure of staying at this Beautiful hotel and was totally amazed at how well the rooms are layed out and the location of the Hotel to the many sights and sounds of Boston...Price wise it is almost 40% less than other hotels in the area...

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — not too much
  • Tips/Secrets — have fun and enjoy
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
Boston
Reviewed October 29, 2006

Prime location surrounded by retail, restaurants and tourist attractions.

Rooms are spacious and clean.

Staff very friendly and attentive.

We did some shopping and found this hotel to be about $100 less per night than the other hotels in the area.

We look forward to returning because we learned that the hotel is under going a complete make over. The new owners are going modern with the decor which will be finished next spring.

Overall an excellent experience.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple