“Great location, and very good value”
Review of Harborside Inn

Harborside Inn
Ranked #50 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Swansea
“Great location, and very good value”
Reviewed January 3, 2007

Having seen the sample photos on the website, I was expecting great things, and I wasn't disappointed.

The place isn't 5 star (and doesn't claim to be!), but it looked clean, comfortable and in a great location.

The Harborside lived up to my expectations, with friendly, helpful staff. The rooms were very homely, and the comfortable bed ensured I always had a good night's sleep. The bathroom was also more than adequate.

The location was so good that I spent the whole week without needing a cab (except to and from the airport).

All in all, I had excellent value for the money I spent, and I'd have no hesitation in staying in the Harborside again.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled solo
8 Thank MabGlyndwr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Illinois
Reviewed November 28, 2006

I stayed here for 2 nights in mid-Nov 2006. I chose the hotel partly based on the helpful reviews posted here; thanks to the reviewers for helping me make my choice!

Positives:
-- I had a huge room, beautifully decorated, with large bathroom.
-- I chose a room facing the interior atrium to avoid street noise and was very happy with that decision, as the room was very quiet both nights.
-- I requested and received early check-in, about 1 PM, without any problems whatsoever.
-- Hotel staff were helpful and friendly.
-- Service of the room was excellent; it was kept clean and serviced promptly each day.
-- This is a great location, convenient to the Quincy Market area (just a minute or so of walking). It is a short walk from the water taxi stop on Long Wharf and sits almost on top of the Aquarium (Blue Line) T stop. Numerous restaurants are nearby.
-- As a woman traveling alone, I felt safe walking around in the hotel neighborhood by myself at night.
-- The bed was extremely comfortable, and the reading lights were good.
-- There is a large, secured (locked) storage area for luggage, in case you need to arrive early or late.
-- There is free internet in the lobby.

Negatives:
-- The Aquarium T stop was closed for part of my stay (not the hotel's fault, of course!), but the Government Center and State stops are only about a 5-minute walk away as well. However, if it is critical for you to have the T stop right there, I would advise checking the MTBA website to see if any closures of the Aquarium stop are planned during your stay.

I was very pleased with this hotel and would happily stay here again. Thanks again to the earlier reviewers who helped me make the choice.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
11 Thank velevele
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed November 19, 2006

I was in Boston for a weekend visit. to do some shopping. I travel quite a bit for pleasure and business. We were very disappointed with this hotel. It is in a good location, you can walk everywhere or take the T, but with that also comes the noise from VERY busy nightclubs on both sides of the hotel.

Our room looked nothing like the photos on the internet, we had a cityview room. There were very small windows with a ledge that hadn't been painted in years all the paint was chipped off on the floor. The bathroom was dirty, walls dirty, sink cracked, tub old. The floors were not clean, we pulled out the so called sofabed (it is a chair) and the sheets were dirty with crumbs etc. I called downstairs to get some clean sheets, they just dumped them on the bed when we were out, didn't even make the bed or take the dirty bedding away. It was just a very beat up room from the broken blinds, dirty curtains and smelled like stale smoke.

The photos on the internet showed large windows, nice large rooms and brick walls...ours looked NOTHING like the photos. Low ceilings, small, and very small windows.

It was loud at night with the nightclubs untill about 2am. If you want to stay somewhere relaxing and quiet this is not the hotel. I love to go out and we had a good dinner and drinks a couple doors down, the crowd at the bars next door were loud and rowdy.

I have stayed at hundreds of hotels all over the country and world, I will not return to this hotel even though it is a excellent location to see the city on foot! I will stay at the Marriott or another boutique hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirty rooms, false advertising on website.
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not expect much
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
1 Thank NMF
jacksonville
Reviewed November 2, 2006

I had the pleasure of staying at this Beautiful hotel and was totally amazed at how well the rooms are layed out and the location of the Hotel to the many sights and sounds of Boston...Price wise it is almost 40% less than other hotels in the area...

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — not too much
  • Tips/Secrets — have fun and enjoy
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank josephmichael
Boston
Reviewed October 29, 2006

Prime location surrounded by retail, restaurants and tourist attractions.

Rooms are spacious and clean.

Staff very friendly and attentive.

We did some shopping and found this hotel to be about $100 less per night than the other hotels in the area.

We look forward to returning because we learned that the hotel is under going a complete make over. The new owners are going modern with the decor which will be finished next spring.

Overall an excellent experience.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Melanie_Day
Lockhart Texas
Reviewed October 17, 2006

I stayed at the Harborside Inn for two nights. The location is perfect for seeing Boston. The rooms were big, and I think they are all suites. That is what I had. I am sold on the hotel. I have stayed at some of the other major hotels in downtown Boston, and this is by far a great place to stay. The small, cozy atmosphere of the lobby is welcoming. Best of all, the customer service was Excellent. The manager was on duty most of our stay and his positive attitude made our trip. Traveling all over the country, it is hard to get good customer service, but he was one of the best. What else is there to say, it was great!!!

• Liked — customer service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank sloanmalone
Manchester, UK
Reviewed October 14, 2006

I spent a long time searching for hotels in Boston and this one just scraped in under our budget however now I have stayed there I think I may have actually paid more.
As soon as you walk in through the front door this hotel oozes character - literally 30 second walk from Quincy market so location also couldnt be better for the tourist. Front desk extremely friendly and efficient.
This hotel has option of atrium or city view rooms and in hindsight I may have payed the additional for a city view for a little extra light however the atrium was fine for us.
The whole hotel including our room was clean and tidy and everything we wanted.

• Liked — Location and Character
  • Tips/Secrets — The hotel does do car parking for nominal fee but tell them when you book you need it
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple