“Location Can't be beat!”
Review of Harborside Inn

Harborside Inn
Ranked #51 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Boston
“Location Can't be beat!”
Reviewed October 29, 2006

Prime location surrounded by retail, restaurants and tourist attractions.

Rooms are spacious and clean.

Staff very friendly and attentive.

We did some shopping and found this hotel to be about $100 less per night than the other hotels in the area.

We look forward to returning because we learned that the hotel is under going a complete make over. The new owners are going modern with the decor which will be finished next spring.

Overall an excellent experience.

• Liked — Location and price
3 Thank Melanie_Day

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lockhart Texas
Reviewed October 17, 2006

I stayed at the Harborside Inn for two nights. The location is perfect for seeing Boston. The rooms were big, and I think they are all suites. That is what I had. I am sold on the hotel. I have stayed at some of the other major hotels in downtown Boston, and this is by far a great place to stay. The small, cozy atmosphere of the lobby is welcoming. Best of all, the customer service was Excellent. The manager was on duty most of our stay and his positive attitude made our trip. Traveling all over the country, it is hard to get good customer service, but he was one of the best. What else is there to say, it was great!!!

• Liked — customer service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank sloanmalone
Manchester, UK
Reviewed October 14, 2006

I spent a long time searching for hotels in Boston and this one just scraped in under our budget however now I have stayed there I think I may have actually paid more.
As soon as you walk in through the front door this hotel oozes character - literally 30 second walk from Quincy market so location also couldnt be better for the tourist. Front desk extremely friendly and efficient.
This hotel has option of atrium or city view rooms and in hindsight I may have payed the additional for a city view for a little extra light however the atrium was fine for us.
The whole hotel including our room was clean and tidy and everything we wanted.

• Liked — Location and Character
  • Tips/Secrets — The hotel does do car parking for nominal fee but tell them when you book you need it
2 Thank andy1881
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 27, 2006

People take the time to write negative reviews but seldom write positive ones. I knew when we got home I had to write one. I only hope after reading my review, and even other reviews, people will make the right decision and give this place a chance. I am not one to typically go out of my way to even write such a thing as this hotel testimonial; but I felt compelled enough to do so after the great experience we had there. I recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone; and I promise you, you will not be disappointed!

Location: The heart of Boston is definitely beating here! I have never been to a city that takes its history so proudly and eloquently. It was very impressive! Quincy Market, or as the locals call it, Faneuil Hall (Took me all day to figure out that they are one in the same) is about 100 yards from the front step of the hotel. And the “T” (subway) is also right outside. Don’t get me wrong, at night it did feel like the wildside came out of some people, and with a bar/club to the left of the hotel, it did pick up and my thoughts were “Oh great, we are never going to get to sleep”. I even went to the front desk and asked if this was going to go on all night and he said we should be ok when we go to our room. Going up in the elevator I cringed at what I assumed was going to be a long night. I eat my words now; we had one of the best nights sleep in a long time.

The Hotel: I had my husband (of two days) make our reservations, sight unseen, because the “price and location” were right where we wanted to be. His pick was right on the money yet again…the first was having me as his new bride! Coming from a small town in the Midwest, and knowing everyone in town, I did not know what to expect in Boston.

If I could have wrapped up Calvin and taken him home with me, I certainly would have! His true smile and charm every time we went to the front desk asking where and what to do in Boston, made us realize that we had made the right choice in hotels, even after reading some of the less positive reviews.

We end our Honeymoon with a big hug from Calvin and knowing that Boston will aways be part of our lives...

Courtney and Matt

• Liked — Calvin, Location, Quality
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring walking shoes. Ask questions
10 Thank IJC
NY, NY
Reviewed September 20, 2006

I recently stayed at the Harborside Inn for a wedding. My husband and I along with several friends all booked rooms for 2 nights and lasted 1 night! I am not sure were to begin. I hope you continue to read and take this review very seriously, because I would hate for you to have the same experience if it could be avoided.
This "Inn" is nothing like what it looks like online... It was the worst! Dirty is an understatement.... My friend had crumbs in her bed (and they weren't hers because we were frightened to eat or touch anything in this room). The whole building smelled, my room smelled so bad we actually changed rooms. Getting drunk helped all of us return to our rooms the first night, but we all had the same experience..... a night of scratchy sheets, air shutting off in the middle of the night (FYI there are no windows so NO air!), and the fear of bed bugs!!!! If this isn't bad enough I will end with this important fact.... a few of us wouldn't sit when going to the bathroom!
You can stay in a room with windows, however, reviews that we read said to avoid doing this because it is really noisy at night (there is a bar next door). The staff is unkind and not helpful. The nicest part was that we weren't penalized for canceling the 2nd night and got our money back without a fight!
I too have read negative reviews of places and decided to go ahead with it anyway and it has been great. I know the pictures on line look wonderful, but please believe me this place is scary bad! We ended up sharing a room the 2nd night with our friends at the Marriot and it was a wonderful experience.

• Liked — Leaving!
  • Disliked — Having to stay!
  • Tips/Secrets — AVOID AT ALL COST!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
7 Thank schnel
markhagopian9, Owner at Harborside Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2006
Exagerated innacurate review.

One thing I do belive is that this guest was admittingly drunk.

Also they admit to being afraid to eat, touch things and afraid of imaginary bugs?????

Facts:
We look exactly like the pictures on line.

Are sheets are 250 thread count linen. Not scratchy
We have windows in all our rooms.

I'm very sorry this person did not have a good experience at our hotel but reviews of this exagerated nature are not helpful to any one except maybe to entertain themselves and their friends .

Please don't believe this review.

Middlebury, Vermont
Reviewed September 14, 2006

My wife and I had intended to spend a romantic weekend at the Harborside Inn in Boston recently. We had reason to have high expectations since a previous stay last June had been very pleasant. However, that experience was not repeated.
We checked in, changed, and set out for a night on the town, returning to the hotel at about 1:15 a.m. The first surprize was that all of the bars in the neighborhood were overflowing with raucous, screaming college students. (This hadn't been the case at all in June.) The front step of the hotel was covered in vomit. We tried to enter the hotel to escape the very unpleasant street scene, but found the door to be locked. Just then we were approached by a young man who identified himself as the hotel night clerk who informed us that he had come outside to clean up the vomit but had forgotten his keys! We asked him what we should do - wait for him to get the door open, or go find another hotel. He replied "I really don't know what to tell you" and walked away.
After standing outside for almost an hour weighing our options (we had no reservation anywhere else, and all our luggage was locked inside along with our car keys), we were finally let back into the hotel by another guest who had been awakened by the impromtu street party and come downstairs to investigate.
The next morning we checked out, determined to find a different hotel and salvage the weekend. I told the desk clerk about our ordeal and asked what sort of compensation the hotel would provide. She pled ignorance of the whole affair, and took down all my contact information, saying that the hotel would be in touch.
I waited a week. No calls, no emails, no apologies. Finally, I called the hotel and asked the manager why they hadn't contacted me and what sort of compensation they would provide. The best excuse he could come up with was that they had lost my contact information! (They had managed to bill me, however.) Eventually, he promised to provide a full refund and hung up. Still no apology. Someone needs to remind these folks that being in the 'hospitality business' occasionally requires genuine hospitality.

6 Thank meandma
This is an unfair innacurate Review.

Please don't believe it!

There are 2 side 2 every story and I need to tell you that this just is not true as it is told.

This guest is obviosly very upset and is going to great lengths to punish our hotel.

After a 5 minute incident of a door being locked this guest decided they wanted a free night.

We all profusley apologized for the problem and thats the truth.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2006

This hotel is just OK

As everyone has noted noise is a big big problem. Although it is a downtown hotel beside lots of night clubs so be warned!

The free internet allows virtually nothing through the filters, I needed to download some documents and could not get access. We picked the hotel because of the location, but the internet was a major deciding factor as well.

The car park is very far from the hotel, about 5 mins walk, which with bags was tough. There is no place to stop and unload in the very busy street outside

I liked the hotel itself. It was clear and very quaint in its own way.

The front desk staff could not have been more helpful.

I would recommend the hotel but be warned of the noise!!

• Liked — the quaintness
  • Disliked — the nosie
  • Tips/Secrets — none