“It was fine, great location”
Review of Harborside Inn

Harborside Inn
Ranked #54 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed August 29, 2006

We spent one night at the Haborside Inn Boston in the beginning of August. After booking the room I read some
very negative reviews on TripAdvisor and considered cancelling the reservation. But then I thought, it's just one night, how bad
can it be? I was pleasantly surprised. I was on the lookout
for dirt, and it was clean. Bed was comfortable, the room was
cute. It wasn't noisy at all. It wasn't a fabulous hotel, but it
was absolutely fine. Nothing to complain about, and the location was great!

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank JenniferNH
Write a ReviewReviews (1,498)

Reviewed July 26, 2006

As other reviewers have noted, this hotel is in a great location. You can park your car at the Harbor Garage and not use it again until you leave. Walk to Quincy Market, walk the Freedom Trail, walk to whale watch, ferries and the aquarium, or take the T anywhere else. The Aquarium T stop is right outside the front door. There's also a Dunkin Donuts and a 7-11 within a block either direction for coffee or anything you forgot to pack. We also found the staff to be very courteous and helpful. The rooms are nicely decorated -- not upscale, more B&B than hotel. I would stay here again, but only if I was able to book and guarantee a particular room -- that would be any even numbered room, preferably on a higher floor. Although MA state law now requires that all hotel rooms are non-smoking, we were given a room that used to be smoking and absolutely reeked. We asked to be moved, and they moved us to an atrium room on the 2nd floor. Sounds good. Take a shower, go to bed around 11, juuust start to fall asleep....and the club next door starts up. I have never in my life heard music played at such a volume. The walls were vibrating. It was as if the DJ was inside my head. Lots of poster have menioned this problem with rooms facing State Street. But this was an atrium room that shared a wall with the club. Don't get this room (#225). The music didn't stop until after 2 am. Needless to say, we requested to be moved and complained to the manager the next day. He was very apologetic and moved us to a quiet room on the 6th floor, and comped our parking for the pain and suffering we'd endured. The parking is expensive! $30 per day for the Harbor Garage. Normally, the hotel charges you half that rate. Also, there were several mosquitos in our room -- I killed three in one night -- and a family of ants that only made an appearance when food was about. Other than the noise and the bugs, decent price, great location.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank pkstrand
Reviewed July 21, 2006

My wife and I stayed there for three nights in mid-May. The price was $189 per night, which for Boston is reasonable. Comfortable, attractive room. Great location. The Aquarium subway station is 20 paces outside the front door. Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market are almost as close. An Irish pub, the Black Rose, is across the street. The food was tasty and the price won't give you indigestion.

Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank FresnoDon
Reviewed June 29, 2006

We returned today from a 4 day stay at the Harborside Inn in the downtown area of Boston and had a very pleasant stay. Location, location, location says it all. It was close to everything! The T aquarium stop right across the street, Quincy market literally 1 block away , the waterfront , and wonderful restaurants in the North end area .
Our room was an atrium room and it was clean and comfortable. I had no problem what so ever connecting with the high speed internet . The room was always cleaned when we got back from a long day of sight seeing and the temperature comfortable. In the lobby they have available coffee and hot water for tea. It was nice just to be able to go down to the lobby and go back to the room without going outside. The staff at the front desk was very knowledgable and were helpful! They even helped me fix a minor suitcase problem! For 2 gals touring Boston for the first time it was a great vacation. They have all the visitors pamphlets in the lobby to help you plan your day. I would stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank Kvegas
A TripAdvisor Member
Denver, CO.
Reviewed June 23, 2006

Pros:
-Location to Quincy Market; shopping; good food; harbor pier
-Wireless Internet access
-Great location to Boston's T (Blue line) with only 2 stops away from the Airport
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cons:
-Air Conditioner barely worked (not even sure it was A/C); asked for someone to look at it...never notified that anything was checked and/or fixed
-Lack of power outlets close to work space
-Free Internet; however massive internet filtering except for web traffic (higher ports are blocked); sorry business travelers may have difficulty getting to Corporate network; Instant Messaging is blocked
-Recommend NOT taking outside rooms...too much noise. Some genius decided that revving his Harley @ 2am was funny and necessary. Delivery truck backup signals, etc.
-Customer service could have been a little better.
-Insect problem in my room
-Bed was hard as a stone tablet. This hotel desperately needs to update the bedding; furniture; decor...
-Furniture, specifically a chair, was falling apart
-Window coverings were old and falling apart
-Windows were thin and had packing tape around the bottom rim...I can only assume as to what that is for!?!?
-Regular turnkey locks!?!? Com'n that isn't very secure!!! Regular bolt lock for second lock? If you have valuables...consider looking elsewhere.
-Cost was high considering what I got...it was inflated due to the business conference.

I considered several options for places to stay in Boston however specifically the location and Internet access. I thought that would trump everything else...I was wrong. Look realistically at all your options and what is most important to you on a trip and decide based off of that...I should have chosen sleep!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 22, 2006

We loved the location of the hotel,one block from the waterfront ,one block from Fanuli(sp?) hall and the T-stop was right outsid the door.The room was exatly as pictured online and we booked an atrium room based on reviews complaining about the noise in street facing rooms.We did not hear any noise,even on a Saturday night and we were there 6 nights.The room was clean and nicely decorated and a nice size.Now for the bad stuff.
The bathtub drain did not work and therefore I had to shower and missed taking my bath.
The bed was the worst bed I ever slept in,in hotel ! It sagged in the middle and we rolled toward each other.Since the room was so quiet we did not want to chance another room so we asked for more pillows and made them into a feather bed of sorts.The staff did not go out of their way to be friendly but hey,maybe thats part of life in the big city.I'd recommend the room we stayed in #436 but make sure they have put in a new bed!

• Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 11, 2006

I have never been compelled to leave a review for a hotel but just had to, in this case.

We stayed for the nights of May 3rd and 4th of 2006, and expected a lovely, clean, and comfortable hotel, based on reviews. The outside of the hotel is beautiful, as is the lobby, but upon arrival to our room, we found several hairs on the shelf under the mirror in the bathroom, as well as the same colored hairs in our bed, and all over the carpet. It was so disgusting. I have never stayed in a hotel that was so filthy. My father's room wasn't much better...his carpet was also very dirty and covered in hairs/etc. Also, the A/C was not cooling the rooms properly and both rooms were warm throughout the night.

The hotel staff were very friendly, though - no complaints about them - and the location couldn't have been better, close to the water/aquarium, loads of fabulous restaurants, and super shopping. Just don't stay at this hotel if you're at all squeamish about things like finding 'other people's hair' in your bed! I have never stayed in a filthier place!!

Stayed: May 2006