“Couldn't believe my ears” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Harborside Inn

Harborside Inn
Ranked #49 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Montclair
“Couldn't believe my ears”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2007

Let me start out with the positives. The hotel is nice, great location, free internet access & coffee in the main lobby, room was clean and modern, but bare. More like a one night stay kind of place, which was exactly what it was for us. It wasn't till we were asleep that we realized how thin the walls actually were. In the middle of the night a women was being beaten by a man somewhere in the hotel and the whole fight echoed throughout the hotel. My fiance and I were horrified! It lasted for about half an hour to forty five minutes before we called the front desk and they informed us the cops had already been called and were on there way. The cops came in about 10 minutes and silence returned. However after hearing such a horrible event sleep did not come easily. I'm certain it was a rare situation but I don't know if I would ever stay there again.

• Liked — Free internet access
  • Disliked — The paper thin walls.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jacklynl29

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Stratford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2007

We overall had a good experience. The room we had was newly renovated, so really clean and modern, but it did not have brick walls or hardwood floors :( We opted for a city view room and I would recommend paying the extra $ for it ... the atrium rooms looked on to the centre of the hotel (elevators) I would not have been comfortable and having a window that can open is nice. Nice flat screen TV, DVD player and good stereo (with speakers in the washroom) Agree with the other comments on the noise levels, the night we didn't go out we were awoken at 2:00am with hoots and hollering, doors opening and closing (I think they could relieve this maybe by putting some weather stripping around the doors or a better closer - it's loud) The front desk served its purpose but didn't find them overly helpful (there was a help wanted sign in the window) The best part of the hotel is the Location, you can't beat it ... it took us less then 10min. from the Airport (incl. shuttle) and subway stop is right outside the door (so you can get pretty much anywhere in the city), Quincy Markey is also right at its door step, we could see the Aquarium from our room too. We had great plans to tour the city but didn't really get out of the neighbourhood. Next visit to Boston we will probably stay in a different part since we explored this area already.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise levels
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank getawayplans
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2007

I also was put in a room that looked nothing like the pictures on the website (no exposed brick walls, no hardwood floors, etc.) After check in, I went to take a shower, but there was NO hot water. I let the front desk know and they said they would re-set the breaker & I should try again in 15 min. After coming back from dinner, (1 1/2 hrs later) I tried to take a bath, and could only get a 1/2 a bathtub full of warm water.
The bed only had a sheet, cotton blanket, and what appeared to be a duvet cover w/o a comforter inside. I had to request another blanket from the front desk, as it was a cold night. I went to bed early, but awoke at 11 pm to the sound of people talking in the hallways & doors slamming shut...this lasted off and on until around 4 am. Again, I awoke around 8 am to the sound of housekeeping talking & opening and closing doors in the hallway.
The only thing this hotel has going for it is the location. I checked out a day early & stayed a few blocks away for around $90 more, and it was WELL worth it (*note that they have a very strict policy on checking out early & according to all of the front desk people I talked to, the "owner" would not budge on that.) I ended up paying for a night that I didn't stay there, but it was worth it to me, as I don't well on a couple of hours of sleep.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank tltPDX
NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2007

My girlfriend and I wanted to stay at a hotel
that was more personal then the large chain ones. We found Harborside Inn on the internet. The room was not at all like what was on their web site. The web has pictures of hardwood floors and brick wall in the room we slelected. Upon arrival we found out the Inn was still under construction and the room was not at all what we see on line. The location of the Inn is perfect. The employees were very nice and helpful. The room was very clean but had very poor lighting. The price was fair.

We would stay there again but this time we will have a more detailed talk the the front desk.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank Lowrider99
Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2007

On our first visit to Boston, we wanted to have a location that was convenient and not too expensive. We selected the Harborside Inn located near Fanieul Hall. It looked like a great location and the price was very reasonable -- we paid about $159 per night (plus tax).

First, I should mention that the location is excellent. 2 minute walk to Faniuel Hall/Quincey Market, Boston Aquarium nearby (which we didn't visit), subway stop (The "T") literally right outside of the hotel (Aquarium stop) and a convenience store at the corner. Many sights were easily a 15 minute walk and anything further, we just hopped on the T. It was great.

The Harborside Inn offers 24 hour complimentary coffee & tea. They have 2 computers in their lobby with internet access hooked up to a printer and this was compimentary to hotel guests -- we found this very useful. The staff was extremely pleasant.

On the flipside, it's just an average hotel. The rooms were clean but small. The exposed brick and hardwood floors gave it a nice feel but they only had cheap miniblinds on the windows with no curtains. Although our room faced other rooms, I felt uncomfortable without curtains, that maybe people could see in. Also, although it was not a big deal, I noticed that the wall was partially unpainted and the bathroom & room door were not painted well (you could see white through the one coat of paint they put on). I know those are little things and honestly, not that important to me anyway (we were not in the room much) but the guest rooms have potential to be really nice and those things just made it seem a little sloppy. They were obviously remodeling becuase there was some work being done around the hotel so maybe they haven't gotten to the guest rooms yet.

Important note: There is no restaurant or room service at the hotel. This wasn't an issue for us since there is a convenince store nearby and also Quincey Market is very close and walkable for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Lastly, I think I read this in a review for this hotel before but I completely forgot about it until we arrived and it's really important. If you decide to stay at this hotel, be sure to ask for a quiet room on the upper floors in the back of the hotel. This is really important becuase there is a nightclub right next door. The first night, we did hear some music but we were so exhausted that I fell asleep anyway.

I would stay at this hotel again -- the price was right, rooms were clean, staff friendly and the location excellent. If you prefer a full service Marriott type hotel, this is not the place for you.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No restaurant, nightclub next door
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travelgirl89
Boston!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2007

Right from check-in, I knew this would be a great stay at a great hotel! The front desk clerk was extremely kind, funny, and very knowledgeable. Just from being in the lobby for a few minutes and seeing the interaction of the staff with the guests, they seem to do anything and everything to help you if you need it!

They were out of the room I had booked (city view) but upgraded us to a room with a bigger bed in it (not a problem for us at all!!) It was definitely newly renovated.. and it was absolutely GORGEOUS! We couldn't believe how nice it was, the bed was wicked comfortable, the tv was amazing.. overall, it was just a great experience.. I cannot wait to stay here again!!

• Liked — Location, and the gorgeous newly renovated room!!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank Scooby3482
Charlotte
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2007

My business colleague and I stayed at the Harborside Inn in early November. From Check-in until Check-out everything exceeded out expectations. The desk staff was very knowledgeable about the area and very helpful. The location couldn't have been better....close to fanieul? hall, the aquarium/waterfront, and also just steps away from the North End. The room was very clean and the mattresses are the most comfortable I've ever slept on. Harborside Inn is the place to stay when visiting Boston.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business