“Handy place to stay”

Ranked #48 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Lancashire UK
“Handy place to stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2007

Stayed here for 2 nights in October 2007, we had an atrium room and all was fine. The hotel is situated in a good location which is handy for most attractions in downtown Boston.
The room was comfortable and clean, staff on the front desk were very helpful, internet access in the lobby was a useful resource as was the coffee that was availble 24hrs a day.
overall tthe stay was a good experience and would recommend this hotel in the future.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed October 2007
1 Thank Chucky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2007

We had 3 rooms for the weekend of 11/2. The location is absolutely perfect. Rooms were recently remodeled and look nothing like the photos on the site. They look more South Beach. They are very nicely appointed, with king beds, flat screen tv and stereo system.
We had interior rooms on the 4th floor. Saturday morning we heard jackhammers for a few minutes, but otherwise the rooms were very quiet.
The toilet in my room wasn't properly anchored and leaked slowly onto the floor. We reported it several times but it was never addressed. I presume it was a leftover item from the remodel. We simply placed extra towels on the floor and it wasn't a big deal. The other couples had no issues with their rooms and all were very pleased.
Other than the hotel seeming slightly understaffed, I see no reason for the poor reviews I read prior to my visit. As a Marriott Platinum member, I tend to be expect a decent level of accomodations. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed November 2007
2 Thank Maui4meFlorida
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2007

My husband and I stayed 4 nights here last week and were pleasantly surprised after reading all the reviews here. I will admit that there is some street noise if you have a city view room but we really enjoyed being able to open the windows and sit and look out at the city so it was ok for us. The hotel is a little mix matched in their decor and the lobby needs updating but all in all it was good. Although I was looking forward to staying in the older rooms, we checked in early and got one of the newly renovated rooms. As someone said earlier, everything was new and freshly done. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was large (which I really liked). The HD TV and sound system were my husband's favorite part of the stay, they even have a speaker in the bathroom! The 24hr computer access was really helpful and I can't say enough good things about the staff, especially Robert and Anthony, who went out of their way to assist us with every request! The location is really within walking distance of all the major tourist attractions and if not the T is right outside the door. We even rode the T to the airport @ 5:30 am and it was so much easier than getting a cab.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to others and if I'm ever in Boston again, I'll stay here.

• Liked — Front Desk service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Central Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2007

I booked a two night stay before reading reviews on this site, so was quite alarmed by reports of noise and building work. I called back to request a quiet room as a result of this. I had an atrium room, and it was absolutely fine - no noise problems at all. Other than that the location is fab (two stops on the T from the airport is great for the weary traveller arriving in Boston) and I thought the staff could not have been more helpful - among my requests were the locations of a hairdresser, a pharmacy, and the desk clerk even patiently explained the rules of baseball to this overseas visitor. Computer access was also handy - all in all, an ideal stopover. The slight downside was the atrium room was a bit gloomy - the windows looked into the central trium, so low daylight levels and you couldn't check the weather, but I think the reports of noise seem to mainly involve street view rooms, so perhaps that's the compromise. I would stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Reduced daylight in room
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
Santa Barbara, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2007

The Harborside Inn was overall an odd hotel in a good location. The Aquarium stop on the Blue Line is literally directly outside the entrance to the hotel. It is also a short walk from Fanueil Hall and other tourist sites. The rooms are (very) recently refurbished and everything has an overall new, unused feel and smell to it. The bath and bed linens were clean and fresh, and the new carpet springy and soothing under the feet. The in-room thermostat seemed to work quite well also. My newly tiled and outfitted bathroom was so new the tiles still had mason’s dust on them. This is where the pros end, as there were a number of things wrong with the Harborside. For one, the rooms are quite austere: no writing desk, no hotel literature (not even the State-required emergency exit routes or rate information on the door), the fan in the bathroom didn’t work (in spite of a separate switch), there was spotty hot water, no stopper for the sink and, in spite of extensive shelving, no extra blankets, pillows, or laundry bags. Maids’ carts, and dirty linens were abandoned throughout the hallways for my whole 24-hour stay. My room had strangely inappropriate stereo components more suitable for a bachelor pad than a hotel room (huge flat screen TV, VHS/DVD player, etc.) The promised free WiFi was very flaky and quite inadequate – and no Ethernet LAN connections were offered in the room. Finally, the entire hotel appears to either be in the midst of remodeling or has just remodeled. My freshly cut key didn’t work in the door and I needed to try two more keys until one worked. For $230 it seemed a bit over priced compared to other choices in town. I give it two stars.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — The austerity
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2007

This hotel may not have the amenities that a large hotel chain would have but it is comfortable & convenient. The rooms are very simple but the bed was very comfortable and the decor is pleasant. The street noise can be loud on weekends but we slept with a fan on (found in the closet ) and could not hear a thing. The hotel staff was very friendly, down-to-earth and extremely helpful. The location cannot be beat. There is so much within walking distance. You can walk to Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market, the New England Aquarium, the beginning stop of the Old Town Trolley (which is also the start of the Ghosts & Graveyards tour), and you are steps away from the Freedom trail as well as a few blocks from the North End, Paul Revere's home and the Boston Common. The location is amazing. If you do need to take a cab somewhere, they are easy to flag down right in front of the hotel.

During our visit we also stayed at one of the high end hotels on the waterfront because it was connected to the conference we were attending in Boston. Contrary to what other reviews may say, not all locations are close to sights in Boston. We had absolutely nothing around us by the waterfront. The area we were in was like a concrete jungle; no greenery, no historic sights, no fun. Though we had more amenities in our hotel (like a flat screen TV) we missed the location of the Harborside Inn.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No restaurants/room service in the hotel
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2007

We just got back from a trip to Boston and we stayed at the Harborside for 3 nights and really enjoyed it.

The location is really good, central, with easy access to the main attractions.

We stayed 2 nights in a city view room which was small but definitely big enough for 2 people. The bed was comfortable and the room had real character, I particularly liked the exposed brickwork. The bathroom was a bit of a let down- it had everything you need but I felt it was in need of modernisation.

We returned to the Harborside for our last night in Boston after travelling around and stayed in an atrium view room. The room had clearly recently been decorated, the bathroom was excellent and the room was huge as was the bed and TV. We actually paid less for this room which we couldn’t really understand as, although it had less character than the city view room, we felt it was of higher standard.

Boston is an expensive city for accommodation but for the money I think the Harborside is a great choice. We stayed at the Radisson on our first night and although that had a great room and probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, it lacked character and was expensive. The Harborside is more cost effective and has a welcoming ambience and is far from a faceless hotel that's part of a big chain.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple