“What's with all the NOISE!?”
Review of The Midtown Hotel

The Midtown Hotel
Ranked #65 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed April 22, 2007

Just thought I'd give a summary of the recent stay my wife and I had in the Midtown Hotel, Boston.

Initial impressions of the place were good. Ron at the reception desk was very friendly, and our check-in was handled in a matter of seconds. An equally affable porter offered to take our bags to the room, which was number 172.

The room was huge; two double beds, a desk, small table and seating area, plus a good sized bathroom with bath and shower. The facilities were good too - nice TV with plenty of channels, and a funky little cafetiere for making fresh coffee. Everything was very clean, though the decor was slightly dated, and the bathroom suite showed some signs of age. I'm not one to pick at such things, however, so all in all we were happy.

Being somewhat jet-lagged, we decided a short nap was in order. Sadly, I didn't get a wink of sleep. No sooner had we settled down, we were subjected to an ongoing cacophony of slamming, shouting, and what sounded like the practising of an inexperienced drummer. The noise irritated me somewhat, but given that this was still only late afternoon, I wasn’t too bothered.

Our siesta having been abandoned, we decided to explore a little. The location of the hotel was very good. The immense Prudential shopping centre was just a couple minutes walk away, and had a subway stop to get wherever we should want. Massachusetts Avenue, with its assorted shops and restaurants, was only a few minutes walk in the opposite direction.

So, having been fed and watered, we returned to the hotel for a well-deserved (and by then long overdue) night’s sleep. Unfortunately, once again I found sleep hard to come by. It seems that the noise of the Midtown hotel persists at all hours of day and night. Doors slamming, voices shouting, and a variety of crashes, bangs and wallops - all conspired to rob me of a restful slumber. After two such disturbed nights, we did complain to reception, who said they could only help us if we were able to tell them which rooms, specifically, the noises were coming from. Not wanting to wander around the hotel in our pyjamas in search of the parties responsible, we decided just to grin and bear it. In time, we got used to the constant racket, but felt annoyed that we’d ever had to.

In summary, I was a bit disappointed by the Midtown. The room was large, comfortable, and reasonably well-equipped, while the location was very good. However, the ongoing noise of the place – and the staff’s apparent unwillingness to help – put me off, and means that if I do ever return to Boston, it is unlikely I will rest my head at the Midtown.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank scottish_sightseer

Reviewed February 16, 2007

Excellent location, spacious room and it appears the hotel is under a refurb so the summer might be a great time to go. Staff were friendly and the price was reasonable considering you are in the same vicinity as the Hilton and the Sheraton. Very close to the Cheesecake Factory which is great but not if you're watching the waistline.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BigJaydog
Reviewed January 8, 2007

My girlfriend and i stayed at this Hotel at the beginning of December while doing some Christmas shopping. I had never been to Boston before and did not realise how local and compact it was. The Midtown Hotel is the ideal location to base yourself from and it is definately value for money. We walked everywhere and were just across the street from the famous cheesecake factory restaurant which we couldn't fault.

The rooms were modern and very clean. My only worry was the connecting door to another room but thats my only bad point.

The staff at the desk were very helpful and we booked our bus to Wrythem village from here. We were collected from the door and dropped back in the evening.

I would have no problems in recommending this Hotel to anyone. Boston is a great city with great bars and restaurants and great shopping.

Will definately go back.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank soarfoot
Reviewed November 21, 2006

My Husband and I stayed at the Midtown for 3 nights Nov 16-19th. The room was dated but who cares we only slept there. The location was fantastic. We walked to the Prudential T stop and took it everywhere. Since the weather co-operated we could walk the freedom trail and more. The staff at the hotel were very helpful and friendly. By the way the meter taxi from the airport was $28 dollars (it included tolls). I would recommend this hotel to couples who want to see the sights of Boston without the high cost of the hotel. If we had our kids we may of went more upscale for the pool. Overall it was a good experience for the money.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank skylady
Reviewed November 14, 2006

My girlfriend and I stayed here for four nights from November 9th, and found the hotel to be very central to everything. The staff were very very friendly, and nothing was too much bother. The room we had was huge, two double beds, tv, en-suite bathroom, ground floor and lovely and warm. Our room was to the back of the hotel. We did not need car parking. We got a taxi from the airport and we asked if it was a set fare, but the guy running the taxi stance said no, it was metered. We got in and the taxi driver talked all the way, asking us where we came from etc, and we then noticed the meter was not on, so we just left it. He asked us to telephone on the day we were leaving and he would come for us. We asked the price and he said $28.00, so we gave him $40, a tip of $12, as he was so nice. When we were leaving we did not bother to phone him as we thought we would just hail a taxi outside, so we did just that only to find out this taxi had the meter on and it came to $20.40 even although we were stuck in traffic (5pm)!!! The guy coming had conned us and into the bargain we had given him the extra. If you are getting a taxi from the airport, check that the meter is on and dont be conned.
Anyway, back to the hotel, the Prudential centre is 2 minutes from the hotel, and it had lots of shops, food terrace, restaurants etc. The Cheesecake Factory is also in this builiding and for anyone not from the US, they have gorgeous cheesecakes, but they also do delicous food and cocktails. Open from 11.30 am until 11.30pm S-T, and 12.30 on a Friday and Saturday. We ate here twice. The portions are huge, and 1 piece of cheesecake is enough for two, and if you leave any food they automatically ask if you want to have it wrapped!!!
I also bought a $10 phone card and I used it in the hotel room, which is great, and they only charge 50cents for letting you use the phone. My card let me have four conversations on land lines in the UK, from 20-30 minutes EACH, then a mobile in the UK for 20 minutes, and I still had time left on the card when I left!!!
We like our breakfasts so we found the Marriott Hotel on the same side as the hotel further up the road (about 5 minutes walk) go up the escalator and you will see the breakfast room, they do a menu, or we had the buffet breakfast which was marvellous for the money. First day we had, oatmeal (like porridge), FRESH orange juice, coffee or tea, french toast with strawberries, pineapple and oranges, and maple syrup, and a blueberry muffin. There is LOTS to choose from. We thought the buffet was $18.95, but when the waitress saw we did not have anything cooked (sausage, bacon etc), she said it was only $13.95. Great value for money. You can eat as much as you like. We also had a meal at Legal Seafood in the Prudential Centre, but I would suggest booking on a Friday or saturday, which the hotel did for us.
If you want shopping in one place with lots of bargains in the stores, we got the T to Kendal (about 10 minutes over the Charles river) $1.25 each way, and then there is a courtesy bus at the bus stop 4 times an hour, to take you to the Galleria (5 minutes), open until 9.30pm. Shops include, Macys, Saks, Old Navy, Sears, Best Buy, Ann Taylor, Benetton, H&M, Victoria's Secret, Abercrombie & Fitch, Banana Republic, Timberland, Book shops, Toy shops, Banks,Shoe shops, in fact they have everything. They also have a food terrace, which had every kind of fast food. The Cheesecake factory is here also. the reason we went here was for Old Navy as this is the only one in Boston. I would definately stay at the Midtown again.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends
8  Thank Scottishperson
Reviewed November 6, 2006

Just stayed at this hotel with a couple of girlfriends for the weekend. Toured around boston.
The midtown is a great location, one block from the T (Subway) or else u can walk 2 blocks down and one block over to the PRUDENTIAL CENTER which is a mall and a T station underneath.
Hotel was clean and felt safe. Parking is cheap (you have to pay for parking all over boston!!) duck tours takes off from THE PRUDENTAL center, so we were able 2 get there early and catch the 2nd tour out (cause they sell out very fast).
There is no frills in this hotel, good price, good location, clean.
Internet you have to pay for :(

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank junesun911
Reviewed November 5, 2006

The Hotel is situated just where you want a Hotel to be! The sights and centre of Boston are but moments away.
We stayed at the Hotel last week and were very, very comfortable there. The staff were all friendly and efficient, our room was clean and comfortable, and if you require assisatnce then nothing is too much trouble.
Next time we are in Boston, then we shall be staying here.

A & Y Johnson