“Great location but looks very neglected”
Review of The Midtown Hotel

The Midtown Hotel
Ranked #65 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed November 14, 2013

You will get scared at first, the building looks old and neglected but it is clean. Our room was an average size and comfortable.

Location is perfect. It is great for shopping, very close to Prudential Centre and other streets with shops and restaurants.

The concierge was very friendly and helpful! But the receptionist was very impatient.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Midtown Hotel

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I had read the previous reviews on this hotel being in a time warp but I have to say for what we wanted it was perfect. Check in went well our room overlooked the side road and it was a great size, nice big windows and we were not disturbed by any noises and trust me I am a light sleeper. Comfy bed, extra pillows and blankets, nice bathroom with fluffy towels and toiletries, TV, coffee maker, fridge and a microwave oven what more could you ask for. It was a great location for Prudential Centre, Copley Square and shopping and within walking distance of Bolyston Street for restaurants. the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful and I would definitely recommend and stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the side street
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is the noisiest place I have ever stayed and that's saying a lot! Upon check in I always ask for a quiet room since I'm in town to work, they put me in one of the noisiest rooms on the property I find out. Finally at 4am one morning I gave up, took out my earplugs and asked to be moved. The new room was better, but you can still hear ALL your neighbors come in and the guy three rooms down peeing. The staff was nice. The room was clean but very dated. They get points for having good tv's! No work out facility (this hotel predates fitness centers) and the air did not work in any capacity in the second room, luckily it was somewhat cool out. I rated them average based on their location and cleanliness. Anywhere else this is a $55 a night property. I would stay again if it just wasn't for all that noise....

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank summitsvs
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I just got back from a four night stay at the Midtown and I will definitely stay there again if I'm ever back in Boston (which I hope is very soon!). The staff was extremely friendly, hospitable, and eager to help! We arrived well before check-in but my friends and I were able to store our bags at the front desk free of charge. The front desk also printed off our boarding passes for our flight home! Oh, and I just remembered, we needed more hangers and they brought them right up! The rooms were HUGE, clean, and even had a window that opened...it's nice to have some fresh air every now and then. The rooms were not equipped with a microwave and fridge and the coffee maker produced some brown flakes when brewing only water for hot tea (yuck!)...that would be my only complaint. The location of the hotel was prime! Just a block away from Bolyston Street and the Prudential Center. There were also multiple T stops all around the hotel. Thanks for a great stay Midtown!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 6, 2013

When I arrived at the Midtown Hotel, my first impression was, “oh no, I landed in a cheap motel for $160 plus tax”. While spending 5 nights in the hotel, however, I realized that Midtown hotel was indeed a very practical & efficient place in a great location in Boston.

The hotel is rather flat because it has only two floors and is sprawled over almost a block. Once you enter the hotel you feel like being in a maze because corridors go all different directions and it takes a while to get your bearings. But, eventually you find your room.

Positive points:
The room was very comfortable, clean and one could control the temperature without any trouble, and everything functioned in the room. There was a machine for coffee & tea and a bucket for ice. The ice machine was not far from our room, which was #129. Although it was November, on the first day it was rather warm in Boston and no heating was needed. I heard someone even asking for a fan and he was promised that at the front desk. Room service was very efficient and anything you needed was readily provided by the staff. The hotel staff was extremely friendly, efficient and helpful every way they could such as printing your boarding passes, making reservations for the airport shuttle, giving directions etc. Since we were paying a discounted rate, $160 plus tax because of the American Public Health Conference, it was the cheapest hotel in that great location. The hotel was close to the T, the underground transport. I believe the bus was also nearby, but I never looked for it. Many great restaurants and bars were in walking distance and there was a big shopping area a block away where you could buy anything and also dine in many restaurants and also in a big food court. There were also many hotels around allowing you to take a shared shuttle to the airport and other shuttles that go to the conference center. There was also a nice walking path just around the corner that went along about 2 miles in a tree covered residential area that intersected many streets. The leaves were red and yellow making it a beautiful walk in the middle of the city. The hotel also had an outdoor pool, which I did not look for as it was winter. You could also find convenient stores such as Atlas convenience, and also CVS & Walgreens in the area. I was told that there was a Seven Eleven somewhere close by too, but I did not find it.

Somewhat negative points:
Since it was, apparently, an old hotel, the beds were not as firm as one would like. The carpets on the corridor were not the cleanest looking. There was no restaurant, breakfast or a bar to get a night cap. (These are, however, not real complaints because I was not bothered by any of them as nothing was very far away; there was a good diner for breakfast and the shopping center which had a food court). There was also no security box in the room, but I am sure some set up was there at the front desk.

So, all in all I found the Midtown hotel to be a great place to stay in Boston!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SunnyW358
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Very convenient to public transportation and within walking distance of many attractions. Room was spacious and beds were comfortable with four pillows each. Room was especially clean and maid service excellent. A good value.

Only negative, man in next room was constantly making phone calls talking loudly for hours at a time. Could hear his conversation clearly, and he could hear my dissatisfaction with his unnecessary noise which put an end to his talking.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Badger210
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Based on reviews, we weren't sure what to expect. This is what we found. A no frills hotel with a great price. We paid $158 with tax and AAA rate. Parking for 29 hours was only $22 and was very conveniently located under the hotel. The lobby was small and certainly not plush like a Marriott, but that was not what we were looking for. Our room was large, #167 and clean. Bathroom was very clean (we always check right away). As for noise...I always travel with ear plugs and never hear a thing. But while in our room before going to sleep, I never heard banging pipes. The location was wonderful with only a short walk to the Prudential Center, Copley Square, and Northeastern University. The staff was terrific being both friendly and helpful. We forgot to pack toothpaste and received a small tube from the hotel. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: #167 was large, clean and windows faced the parking lot, not Huntington Ave. You can hear a low hum...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family