“The Midtown in the middle of town!”
Review of The Midtown Hotel

The Midtown Hotel
Ranked #65 of 86 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I'll be honest, we arrived at the hotel after a long flight and a chaotic couple of days prior (having just got married) and I was exhausted. It could have been a cardboard box for all I cared! However, on first sight I was a bit worried as the Midtown did look pretty dated, even from the outside so I wondered how it was going to be when we got inside.

I needn't have worried. Yes, the hotel is tired and the decor a little bit dated but the staff were friendly, efficient and helpful and our room was absolutely huge! We were given a suite which we actually really didn't need as we were only there for two nights but that meant we had a massive bed, a seating area and even a dining area with a fridge and microwave. All areas of the room were clean and well looked after, the bedding was clean and the bed was exceptionally comfortable, so much so I had one of the best nights sleep that first night!

Location wise, the hotel is excellently appointed, just a short walk from lots of eateries and not too far from the main part of the city. If I visit Boston again I would seriously consider staying at the Midtown again. Absolutely no complaints, it is purely the dated decor that stops me awarding it an excellent rating but if you can look past that then I'm sure you'll have a very pleasant stay here.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,898)

Reviewed September 27, 2013

An excellent choice in terms of location, and room size. Our "family" included my husband and myself, a great-nephew and a dog. All of us liked the hotel. We appreciated the safe parking as well as the nearby places to eat. The rooms are big and comfortable--not modern or fancy but this is a great price for this part of Boston; two couples could be very comfortable in the shared room.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Positive points - clean, quiet, good location with the ability to walk to the centre
Negatives - paying for parking, no fridge, no free wifi, staff were not friendly, no real customer service, very transactional

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Big suites!

5 min walk into city of Boston.

Very helpful staff.

No restaurant - although this shouldn't be a problem as theres loads of eateries nearby. Thorntons on Huntington Ave is great for breakfast.

Overall, made a great start to the honeymoon.

Would stay again.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I am a budget traveler through and through. I never write scathing reviews and tolerate almost anything! But this hotel (REALLY A MOTEL) is from the distant past and has not modernized. I stayed one brief night and here's what happened:

They call a bellboy to go "check" if a room is clean and empty. They have no other way of knowing (?!). And they checked me into a room.

Fifteen minutes after I checked in, with keys and everything, paperwork filed, a guy comes in again to "check" if my room is clean and empty. It's not! I'm in it!

Okay all is fine until 3am when the fire alarm goes off and they insist on evacuating everyone for half an hr. I finally get back to sleep when at 9am I am awoken by the maid walking in, without knocking. At this point, I had the door double locked and had a DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door.

She apologized and said "Oh I'm sorry they told me you were leaving." It's 9am on a sunday and check out is at noon and the right response to a do not disturb sign is to just barge in w/o knocking?

Then I go to check out and the guy cannot find my reservation...says I wasn't checked in properly or something. I relay to him how I was walked in on twice in a 16 hr period combined with a fire alarm. I prepaid so I wasn't expecting a discount or anything, just a genuine apology. He seemed to not even care or realize how completely absurd an experience this is.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank jondysse l
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed in this hotel as part of a package so out of choice I would have preferred a better hotel and paid a little more, however saying that the rooms were clean and comfortable. A little along the lines of a Holiday Inn, basic but you get what you pay for. We had a continental Breakfast included which was absolutely fine with plenty of choice help yourself buffet. A great location for putting a good pair of shoes on and walking around the city to see everything. Would recommend if you are on a budget, but personally wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Great location that was not too complicated to reach by car. When arriving the first sign is at the end of the hotel but the entrance is by the second sign, further up the road.
Appreciated being able to park and just catch public transport or walk.
The Prudential Centre a few minutes up the road had a great foodcourt and lots of restaurants and free wifi.
The corridors are enormous and it takes a while to find the quickest route to your room.
Room was fine with 2 queen beds and small shower and toilet with separate basin.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple