Marriott Vacation Club Pulse at Custom House, Boston
Ranked #1 of 86 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed May 25, 2010

We stayed at this property this past weekend. We found the service very good and the rooms very spacious and clean. The hotel is in a fantastic location for touring Boston. The hotel offiered free wireless and had a nice fitness centre. Our only issue was the nighttime street level noise from the many local pubs in the area, for this reason I had to score sleep quality a 3/5. Overall, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 17, 2010

Very comfortable. Room had a separate living area and tiny bathroom. Comfortable beds. We were on the 17th floor and the view was spectacular. Kitchen nook with basic necessities. Plenty of restaurants in walking distance and bars too. Loved the North End with all the great Italian restaurants.

Reviewed May 13, 2010

My husband and I have stayed in over 12 different hotels in Boston over the last 5 years. This time we were there for my daughter's graduation. The location is perfect for just about anything you could want to do in Boston. The hotel is located maybe 20 steps from a T station, half a block from Faneuil Hall, a block from the water and walking distance to TD northgarden. Out of all the places we have stayed this would probably be the top 1 or 2 for location. The room size is another reason to stay here. There is a separate bedroom and living room with a sofa bed- perfect for families. There is a small convenience store across the street or for more selection for a longer stay take the T to Shaws.
Now for what bothered me and a reason why I wouldn't stay here again is how noisy some of the rooms are. I expressed my concerns about being on a low floor upon arrival (the hotel is located across the street from a couple bars). We were told our room on the first floor had soundproofing. It does but that doesn't help with car horns, people yelling and music from the bars. After the first (sleepless) night I asked a couple times if there were any rooms on a higher floor. We were told there was not. I asked if we could switch to the Marriott a block away and were told we couldn't. By 1 in the morning I was ready to pack up and go to another hotel. I tried once more at the front desk and miraculously a room appeared on the 9th floor- a gorgeous, quiet room. I think the hotel should offer the lower rooms at a slightly less price than the higher rooms. For some people noise isn't an issue and yet I would have gladly paid more for that quiet 9th floor room.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2010

The Marriot Custom House is a wonderful place to stay. My parents own at the Custom House who rent out a few weeks out of the year just to come into Boston. They live about an hour of the city. I stayed here for the night back in February for a Girls Night Out. I got an owner's discount and it was extremely affordable for "Boston" Standards. The Custom House is in a prime location. The Blue Line is right outside the entrance. Fanueil Hall is right there. Fanueil Hall has some fun shops and restaurants. The resort is only a short walk over to the North End (Amazing Italian Food Places + Desserts). I recommend Mike's Pastry! Their Cannolis/Ricottas Cakes are delicious.

As for the resort itself, the staff is also so gracious and accomodating. I requested a (cot) for my friends. They brought one up for us no problem. They usually have cookies or drinks in the lobby for when you check in. The villas are Suite Style/1 bedrooms with a Small Mini Kitchen. I recommend a higher up room because the nightlife can get pretty rowdy. There are tons of bars and restaurants within walking distance of the Resort. This Resort is more geared towards the touring the city. They do have some programs for kids but it's not the type of place to stay in for the day. If you want to use the pool, you'll have to go across the street to the "Marriot Long Wharf". The best rooms are the "L Shaped Rooms". When you come out of the elevators, they are on the last door on your left. If you can request a room before you come, I recommend that.

If you have a later flight etc, you can leave your baggage with the front desk and they'll tag/lock it up for you. You can come back anytime to come grab it.

Valet Parking is kinda of expensive, I believe it's $30 or $40 something a day.
Public Transportation is a lot easier and cheaper to get around! You can purchase a Charlie Card for any domination and it will take you all over the city.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 22, 2010

I can't say enough great things about the Marriott Custom House. I qualified to run the Boston Marathon and had decided to bring my family with me for the weekend. All 5 of us fit great in their one bedroom one bath unit. We stocked the minifridge with drinks and snacks from the convenience market just next door. There is a pay-as-you eat continental breakfast that was great for the mornings. And reasonably priced! The location is ideal...just outside the Aquarium T stop and next to Fanuiel Hall. Check out the concierge...they were great at restaurant recommendations. Most of all, VERY accomodating to the kids! 20th floor playroom, 24th floor game room and 26th floor observation deck!!! So great...looking forward to staying here again next year!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2010

An executive summary- a fantastic building and staff that made for a great stay!

As a life-long resident of Boston who has never stayed overnight at a hotel in my own city, I decided to change that and spend a weekend downtown, treating a long-time friend who was visiting Boston. My friend used to live in the area, & has always loved the historic Custom House Tower, so staying at this Marriott seemed perfect.

It was- the building is beautifully restored, the suites are spacious, and the view from our 8th floor room facing the harbor was fantastic. Also, one of the best features is the open air observation deck on the 26th floor- I remember visiting it as a teenager, and it still has the best views of the city, which was great to have only an elevator ride away.

But despite all of the great things about this historic gem, frankly the most memorable part of the visit was the staff- they truly shine! Everyone was great, and you get the distinct feeling that they are a small family that all enjoy working with each other, and extend that warmth to you, welcoming you to their home if you will.

And I would like to mention two staff especially- Yvon, a really helpful staff person who helped us figure out to work the DVD late one night, and whom we ended up having a nice chat with. But if there is one person who is really BORN to her job, it is Karen Connors, the Concierge when we were there. She clearly loves her job, KNOWS her job, and makes you feel like a long lost friend about 5 minutes after meeting her...... and who also has a great sense of humor..... spend some time with her and you'll see what I mean!

Even though I only live 6 miles away, I can tell you that after all of the above experiences, I will definitely come back in the future.

- Charlie Vasiliades

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 12, 2010

We booked here for a three day stay after reading reviews on TripAdvisor. I had never stayed at a Marriott vacation property before, so probably some of the good features of this stay are common, but they suited us.

The hotel is located in the old Customs House, which includes an impressive rotunda and tall tower. Marriott has managed to fit the rooms in around the original features, and our one bedroom "villa" was set around the rotunda. As a result, we had a double height (or maybe, triple!) ceiling with the bedroom set in a loft up a proper staircase. The king size bed was very comfortably, as was the queen sofa bed in the downstairs living area which my daughter slept on. The decor generally was ok - very standard and Marriott, but all decent quality.

The room has a kitchenette which was nicely equipped with a microwave, toaster, coffee maker, blender, dishes and a small fridge. There is a small convenience store across the street, so we were easily able to buy milk, cereal, etc. The living area, which was a bit on the small side, had a comfortable pull out couch, an arm chair and a round dining table with four chairs. The room had a nice entry hallway and very good closet space. The bathroom was standard but large, with nice quality bath products. The towels could have been more generous, but were fine. The room was also equipped with an iron and ironing board, as well as a laundry basket. The latter came in handy, as there is a free laundry room (three each of washers and driers) in the small but nice game room at the top of the tower.

In addition to the game room, the hotel has a breakfast room/bar, a small but nicely equipped gym and a small play area for young children. There are loads of activities in the hotel, including lectures, concerts and movies, and we were provided with an impressive schedule on check in. We didn't take advantage of any of these, though.

The hotel is located very centrally, next to Faneuil Hall and the Aquarium, and easily walkable to other shopping and sites. It's also near a good subway line and taxis were readily available. We found the staff friendly and helpful. Guests have pool access at the Marriott Harbor across the street, but we didn't use this either.

All in all, this is a fantastic place in Boston if you're not looking for 5 star luxury. It was very clean and comfortable, and is an ideal hotel either for families travelling on holiday or for business travelers with a longer stay. I tend to be a Four Seasons type of traveller, but for this holiday, the extra room and facilities really made this a better choice, and I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family