Marriott Vacation Club Pulse at Custom House, Boston
$239
$261
Hilton.com
  • Room Service
Omni Parker House(Boston)(Great Value!)
$199
$338
$296
Fairmont.com
  • Room Service
Boston Marriott Copley Place(Boston)(Great Value!)
$215
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
The Westin Boston Waterfront(Boston)(Great Value!)
$257
$239
  • Restaurant
Sheraton Boston Hotel(Boston)(Great Value!)
$311
$229
Sheraton.com
Lenox Hotel(Boston)
$354
$311
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsobservation deckcounting roomtime sharehistoric buildingquincy marketfaneuil hallthe north endliving roomblack rosefreedom traildining tableaquarium stopsmall kitchenettemini kitchenlaundry facilitieslong wharfblue line
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We recently returned from 10 days at Custom House, and it was an incredible vacation!! The rooms are more like small apartments with a king size bedroom, living room, dining area, kitchenette, and bath. High ceilings and many large windows make the rooms seem even larger! Located in the heart of Boston, it is not only extremely clean and comfortable, but very well situated to access so much of what Boston has to offer. Everyone from the front desk staff, to concierge, to housekeeping & maintenance go out of their way to be helpful and make your stay enjoyable.

When I was beginning to write my review, I noticed a "1 star" review that quite surprised me! Since we were at the hotel at approximately the same time as "Ben W - Not Family Friendly", I found it amazing that he used that description for his stay. Are there bars in the area? Yes, it is a large city where most hotels will have bars around them, plus you are bound to have some noise in an urban location. But I would hardly call it a "Carnival/Riot"! I am awake many nights because of medical reasons that have nothing to do with where I sleep. Any noise that occurs happens between approximately 2:00 and 2:15 a.m. and DOES NOT go on for hours. My husband slept through it with no problem, and on the nights that I WAS asleep at that time, I was not awakened by the happenings in the area. (And when I DO sleep, I AM a light sleeper!) If you and your family require COMPLETE quiet, my recommendation would be to stay at a country inn, not a big city hotel. I think the old adage "can't please all of the people all of the time" fits this person. I would certainly not allow this person's view to keep you from visiting Custom House. You would be missing out on a historical treasure AND a TOP NOTCH hotel! We keep coming back because we love not only the vibrant Boston lifestyle, but also all of the staff who go out of their way to keep you happy!

There are many wonderful restaurants, theaters, and historical places within walking distance and if you feel the need to shop, check out the Prudential Center shops and Copley Place stores. Faneuil Hall across the street also has many different styles of food and shopping, and is a favorite with children. There are street performers there, as well as additional entertainment each night at the Hotel in the Counting Room. The harbor is just across the way, with many water tours, ferries to other areas like Provincetown and Salem, and if you are brave enough, "Codzilla", a water thrill ride for the adventurous!

All in all, 10 days was still not enough time to see and do everything! The time seemed to fly by, so it looks like we will have to go back again...sooner rather than later! And where will we stay? Custom House, of course! It feels like a "home away from home."

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LovesBostonCapeCod
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Pros:
Absolutely gorgeous
Awesome location on Freedom Trail and across the street from Quincy market
Nice little kitchenette
Super comfy king size bed
Friendly and professional staff
Incredible views from the observation deck

Cons:
We were on the first floor and it was pretty noisy
An extra $40 a day for valet...really?!!??..that is a bit much considering the cost of the room.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband I went to Boston in February 2013 planning to stay for one week at the Custom House. It was easy enough to get there from the airport on the blue line. We also took the subway to the Garden for a Celtics game; again very easy to get there. We loved the location of the hotel - close to the market, Freedom Trail, harbor, etc. We did not experience any of the loud noise from bars that other people have spoken about and we were on the 9th floor. We unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) :) were there during the big storm of 2013 - we had to stay two extra nights at the Custom House - the staff was wonderful in accommodating us. We were prepared to change rooms but it was unnecessary so we extended our stay in the same room. I enjoyed watching the storm blow in and we spent our time in the Counting Room, Clock Tower and roaming around the market area in the snow (we are from South Texas - we don't see snow very often!). I loved the hot apple cider available in the lobby every afternoon after being outside in the cold all day. Overall, it was a wonderful experience and we would stay at the Custom House again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank vlinton
Willie N, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse at Custom House, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you for your complimentary review of Custom House! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, especially during one of our biggest snow storms in recent winters. Our historic building is lovely and does lend itself to exploration; it has many wonderful stories to tell regarding its place in the early history of our nation. We are thrilled that you took the time to enjoy it as well as the beautiful snow covered streets surrounding our property during that time. Our entire staff looks forward to extending a warm welcome to you on your next visit to Boston.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We decided to go to Boston at the last minute and I found the Custom House on-line. The location is great for shopping and eating and not to mention the Freedom Trail. Staff at the hotel is friendly and helpful with recommendations for activities, shopping, and restaurants. We stayed in a king suite and that worked for our family. We wanted a better water view, so a high floor would be great

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mattywhale
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My family traveled to Boston in mid-July. The facility itself is fantastic. Marriott did a great job on it, the rooms are great, and very clean.

However, the location is near several bars, where even from the ninth floor my family was woken up, and kept up, two of the three nights were were there. One a Saturday night, and the other a Monday night. By kept up, I mean by shouting, fights, screaming, from 12:30-3 on the Saturday night.

The Front Desk employees know all about these problems and say that there is nothing they can do. Management, both at the hotel and the corporation that owns it (which is not Marriott) could have cared less. They told me that my anger was "misdirected" and that I needed to take it up with the City of Boston. However, I have trusted Marriott to give me consistent service and a place to sleep. Marriott never told me I would not be able to sleep. So, both nights I paid $449 to watch a Carnival/Riot from my hotel room window for severa hours. If this hotel cannot get the City of Boston to make its downtown family friendly, then it should not be marketing itself as a family friendly environment.

When I complained, all the corporation (again, NOT Marriott, offered me 5000 frequent stayer points, which is worth $5 I think. Not a good deal.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family