“We love the Cusom House”

Marriott Vacation Club Pulse at Custom House, Boston
Ranked #1 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Port Saint Joe, Florida, United States
“We love the Cusom House”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

This is one of our favorite Marriott's to stay at. As a Boston native (north shoe) I may be biased but I think this particular Marriott is top notch. We stay there every September for two weeks and we own four weeks there. When I ended up in the hospital with pneumonia last Fall the staff of Marriott sent me a lovely bouquet of flowers and a get well card. Pretty darned hard to beat that!,
Marcia and Curtis Low

Room Tip: Try for a high floor!,
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Korean first
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed May 12, 2013

You can not beat the location, and the staff was fantastic. I hope to return to Boston soon and will not stay anywhere else. While the finishing touches could use some updating (bathrooms primarily), this is the best combination of location and value anywhere in Boston. The suite style allows for more room to spread out - ideal for families traveling with children.

Room Tip: If you want any sleep at all, be sure to get a room on an upper floor. The bar/street noise late at...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Many thanks to the staff of The Custom House Boston during our stay the week of the marathon in April 2013. The hotel is impressive to begin with and ideally located for sightseeing. Because of the restrictions during the awful events surrounding the terrorism bombings, the Custom House provided free food in their lounge. Staff at the front desk were extremely helpful & friendly. I especially recall: Cathleen, Eric, & Jason...thanks you. Also I forgot some belongings after departing and they were kindly mailed back to me. I give you all an A rating and would love to come back again!

Room Tip: of course the higher rooms have a great city view & if you're lucky a sea view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

We spent three nights here on a mini vacation. On Saturday night there was a lot of street noise (we were only on the 4th floor and this is an old building that wasn't built with soundproofing). I don't mean the usual hum of traffic, people, etc. I mean drunk people screaming at the top of their lungs and motorcycles gunning their engines. Fortunately the bars close pretty early, so it was quieter after 1:00 AM. On Sunday night there was some noise but not as bad as Saturday night. Monday night was pretty quiet. The noise alone wouldn't be enough to keep me from staying here again and although this hotel is in a fabulous location I think I'd chose a different hotel to stay in next time.

The size and shape of the building (and it is a fantastic building, historically speaking) make for a weird layout of the rooms. The living area (sofa, chairs, TV, dining table and chairs, mini fridge, microwave, and bar sink) is large and relatively comfortable. The bedroom is oddly shaped (to get to one side of the bed you have to squeeze between the end of the bed and the closet) and the lighting is poor due to the positioning of the window. The bed and linens are comfortable but it's odd that a king-size bed has standard size pillows.

The bathroom sink has a very small countertop around it and this is the only place you can put your toiletries. There is not enough room for two people's toiletries. It would have been easy to put up a shelf in the bathroom for toiletries but they didn't. The toilet paper holder was peeling and stained and the when you put the bath mat (a towel) on the floor it is very slippery. Shower pressure is good, plenty of hot water and adequate towels.

The room is oddly decorated - draperies and carpeting that are designed for an older building, but modern cabinetry. Somehow the decor falls flat.

We appreciated the free washers and dryers and the small complimentary box of laundry detergent (enough for one load). The game room is OK but the real winner is the observation deck. Make sure you go outside and look around. We didn't have much experience with the staff so can't comment on that. If you want a comfortable hotel in a good location you'll be happy here. If you are overly concerned with decor, amenities, room layout, etc., or you will be bothered by weekend noise you might want to go elsewhere. Do bear in mind that I'm comparing this to a full-service Marriott hotel, not to a vacation share property, as we are not share owners.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Petawawa, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Love the hotel, was very close to most things we wanted to see, Got to go see my Bruins play against Ottawa and beat them 2- 1. They went on to win the Stanley cup later on in the spring. Went to see the green monster but could not get tickets as this weekend was their home opener. Even the celtics were in town but just got in our hotel. The city reminds me of Halifax a lot with his commons and some hill by the water. Went to Cheers of course

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed April 29, 2013

First of all, I just want to say how great the staff are here. The welcome I received was so genuinely friendly, as opposed too the customer-service-by-numbers you get in most hotels, it was a real surprise and pleasure and got my stay off to a really good start.

This hotel is in what was the old Customs House, and it is magnificent - a beautiful building with a domed roof. The 26th floor viewing deck is really incredible.

The rooms are rather old fashioned - it's not one of Marriott's most modern hotels - and the decor in my room was a little tired, but the size more than made up for it. The bedroom was very large, and I had a separate living room, with sofa and dining table, a mini kitchen with fridge, sink, microwave and coffee machine. There are two TVs in the suite - one in the bedroom and one in the living room. The bathroom is small, but has a bath and a shower. There is also an iron and ironing board inside the room, and plenty of storage space. The room was immaculately clean.

The hotel has some very handy facilities, such as a number of free washers and dryers (they even leave detergent in your room) and a decent games room with free air hockey, a pool table, chess table and even a Nintendo Wii. And as mentioned, there is the amazing viewing deck on the 26th floor, which is just terrific. In-room wifi is free.

Location wise, this is really close to some of the key sights in Boston - the State House and Faneuil Hall, for example - and you're a $12-$14 cab ride from the shopping/dining district of Boylston Street and Newbury Street. Boston Common and the Theatre District are probably around 15 minutes walk away. There are shops and restaurants close to the hotel as well, plenty of bars, and there is a Metro station right outside the hotel.

I have read the other views about this being a noisy hotel - not in my experience. I was on the first floor, and thought it was going to be dreadful as I seemed to see a pub everywhere I looked, but I really didn't experience any noise other than the odd rumbling of a Metro train. I did think the room perhaps lacked a little privacy, though, as people could see you from the street - albeit if they are looking up - and so I had the blinds closed most of the time. So, if you can, definitely ask for a room on a high floor.

There are a few Marriott hotels in Boston and this is the least modern, but it's certainly the most unique, and is definitely worth your consideration. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We arrived in Boston on the afternoon of 19th Arpil 2013. This unfortunately coincided with the shut down of the city following the awful events of the Monday and previous night. We decided to hire a car and head straight for the Cape Cod even though we had a week long time share exchange. We finally arrived on the Monday at lunchtime and our room was on the 17th floor of this magnificent historic building - the first floor above the ballustrudes and aged copper work. Given the work to preserve this historic monument I wasn't purturbed by the wooden sash windows, one of which we left open most of our stay, and nor did I ever feel my sleep was disturbed by the noise. The room was well appointed and the king size bed made for a very good night's sleep. We also had a roll away bed for the third member of our group which was a bit of a squeeze so we had to put it away each night. The kitchen was ideal for breakfasts although we did use the buffet service in the old counting room which offered very fresh good value food each day.

If you're visiting this hotel as part of a vacation I would strongly recommend you tour the building and read up on some of it's history being originally part of Long Wharf. The view from the balcony on the 27th floor is impressive, as is the internals of the clock, the stonework, the counting room and the central part of the original building.

The guys on reception were incredibly helpful from start to finish and the two guys who did the period music show were absolutely brilliant - I would recommend an hour on the evening to watch the guys.

All in this was a fabulous vacation. Thanks to Marriott and the people of Boston. Be Strong!

Room Tip: High floor for sure - or politely ask the numerous Irish bars to close at 10pm. But hey why do that...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family