“Funky, retro fantastic”
Review of XV Beacon

XV Beacon
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed November 6, 2010

A smart modern hotel, newly refurbished and in great location. This was my first trip to Boston and a stay at Beacon XV did not disappoint. Only 15 minutes from the airport, the hotel was perfectly located in the centre of Boston but on a quiet side street so no traffic noise. Plenty of nearby restaurants, bars and pubs meant you didnt need to go far for food or refreshment.
We stayed in one of the 'standard' rooms, which by any stretch of the imagine I would not consider to be standard. The room was huge, with a huge TV on the wall and an integrated sound system, a fantastic built in gas fire which was really romantic. Also we had free internet connection for our stay. The beds were incredibly comfortable, and apart from the inevitable jet lag, we had 4 very good nights of sleep. I would definately stay at beacon XV again (my next trip to boston is early next year).

The hotel also offers a complimentary car service around central boston which is a great bonus.

Overall Beacon XV gave us everything we needed for a short city break, and we definately return. We loved it.

The Mooo restaurant is a must, I can recommend the brunch on a sunday, steak & eggs, wow.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrBenjamin

Reviewed November 4, 2010

I stayed at XV Beacon for a week in June for business. Location was excellent for business or pleasure. It was not a far walk from a lot of the sights of Boston. Charles Street was pretty close and the cemeteries and other sights (like Fanueil Hall) were not as far as you'd think. I liked this location a lot better than my previous visit which was to the Copley Square area. I was concerned that it would be far from the T, but it wasn't far at all. I took it almost every morning to the Silver Line to the Seaport World Convention Center without any issues.

The hotel valet was pretty good about getting me a cab when I needed one. The hotel advertises use of a car, but every single time I asked I was told it was booked. I thought this was lame. Also, the restaurant in the hotel ("Moo") was overpriced and underwhelming. Not recommended. Other complaints: the hot tub on the roof is not kept hot (more like lukewarm) and so needs advance notice to be heated and there was a billing error on checkout (something double-billed) which was eventually rectified. One other niggle was that someone kept changing the radio station on the sound system in my room! Sounds minor, but we were annoyed by this! Otherwise, though, my stay was great!

My room was a corner room which was decorated in a sleek modern manner. It had a jacuzzi bath tub and a heated towel bar (which I actually took advantage of to dry my socks which I washed in the sink). It had a great bed and a nice surround system. It had a lot of windows, but the view was non-descript - mostly views into neighboring office buildings. I thought that it was a pretty good value for a hotel with a luxury boutique feel. I felt fortunate to book here versus the Hyatt, Marriott, etc. or even the Ritz-Carlton which was holding a special at the time which would have made it cheaper. I base my rating mostly on the location and the decor/amenities in the room, which were top quality. I will stay here again when in Boston.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2010

Staying at XV Beacon is a joy. This boutique hotel, with only 6 rooms per floor, is more like staying in an elegant turn of the century private residence than a hotel. Attention to detail reigns supreme. The rooms are very quiet and the bedding (Frette, of course) is among the most comfortable I have experienced. The bathrooms are well appointed and the rain shower head is outstanding. Each room has a gas fireplace, which was an unexpected and most welcome luxury. Guests have access to a complimentary Lexus sedan service, which is quite a plus and a money saver as well. The hotel restaurant is Mooo, so one doesn't have to go far for an excellent dining experience. Last, but certainly not least, the hotel staff is very professional, thoughtful and attentive. The only thing that we did not like about Beacon XV, was having to leave and go back to the real world....

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2010

This place was amazing!! The wonderful staff made my engagement weekend absolutely perfect!!

Reviewed October 24, 2010

And exceeded all our expectations! This is an exceptional hotel in a great location; beautifully and tastefully appointed with no expense spared on anything (gorgeous furnishings, amazing bed, Frette linens, stereo system, uber stocked mini bar); fantastic service, including a private car ready to drive one to/from shopping, to/from restaurants, and concierge service; adjoining restaurant and bar. They made us feel like royalty.

Reviewed October 21, 2010

This is a lovely well located hotel with really nice staff and a free Lexus to run you around.However, we were put in a courtyard facing room which picked up a jet engine style air conditioning exhaust system outside. For the first time in 35 years of travelling I asked to move at 1.30 in the morning.

I have had a run of decent hotels, either brand new or those operating in renovated altered buildings in recent months where the air conditioning has been loud and not "tuned" properly.At the end of the day a hotel has to provide a good bed and a quite environment or else it fails.

1  Thank jolly999
Reviewed October 17, 2010

On all levels this hotel was absolutely worth it!
Great location, beautiful building, excellent service, spacious, tastefull and very comfortable room! The room was particularly enjoyable: well furnished and lit, high-quality finishes, gas-fireplace, superb sound-system, great bathroom, fresh flowers, good cosmetic products, excellent mini-bar...

Definitely the high-end but by no means snobbish place to stay!

Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family