“Conveniently-named XV Beacon”

Ranked #11 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Bay Area, CA
“Conveniently-named XV Beacon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2007

Stayed at the XV Beacon in August 07 for business. Found the location to be lovely & the car service to the office each morning was a very nice touch. (Rode the T back in the evenings, kind of fun!)

I stayed on the 10th floor. The room was modern, with nice touches, but cramped and very very dark. The lighting was permanently set at "mood." (hint, the light "buttons" actually have teeny tiny dimmer switches on the sides). Also the shower was freezing for the first two days! Apparently they were having some plumbing problems, but yikes! Invigorating to say the least. The "rain" shower heads were great (they put out a ton of water!) and the shampoos/lotions were top notch.

Someone else mentioned that the TV was in an awkward place... now it's not a huge deal, but it is a little weird that the TV is blocked by the bedposts from every angle. Also, I found that the volume on the TV was bizarre... setting "2" was barely audible and setting "3" was too loud. Just strange.

Room service is extra-pricey, but not an issue if work is paying! I don't like the name of the restaurant (why must I be reminded of the last words of the animal that I'm about to eat?) but it was pretty yummy and FAST.

Overall, it was a lovely experience, not perfect, but great for a business traveler.

• Liked — Car service, fancy lotions
  • Disliked — Dark & somewhat small room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank pixiecat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2007

My husband has been staying at XV Beacon since the hotel opened and has stayed there at least 100 times. I have had the chance to stay there about 30 times. We find the service to excellent and have never had an issue with either our booking or accommodations. Here are some further details on the hotel:

1. The hotel is perfectly located for either business travelers or tourists. It is within walking distance to the public garden, Newbury St, Fanueil Hall and the financial district. For those who do not wish to walk, the house car will bring you to most areas in Boston and drivers are courteous and friendly.
2. The hotel is a boutique style hotel, which we prefer, it is not as large as the Ritz Carlton Boston (I have stayed at both the old and new Ritz in Boston) but I find the quaintness of XV Beacon to be more pleasant.
3. Room Service is excellent. Food is usually delivered within 30 mins of ordering and breakfast orders arrive on time when previously scheduled. They will also try to accommodate special requests, for example making a strawberry sundae.
4. Rooms are tastefully decorated and comfortable even if on the smaller side. Housecleaning has never been an issue.
5. Bathrooms are nice and all rooms have a separate area for dressing and grooming which is next to the room containing shower, tub and toilet. The showers do present an interesting problem of leaking water on to the floor and not draining very well. This is an issue that the hotel should spend some time to correct.
6. There is very little turnover of staff, which is a sign of good management. There are a number of people who have been there for a while and they always remember who we are and greet us by name when we arrive.

XV Beacon is our little gem in Boston.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrea L
Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2007

My husband and I arrived bleary eyed from a trans country flight about 1:00AM. Before we left LAX, we phoned to arrange transportation from the airport to the hotel--nevertheless, the clerk at reception seemed surprised that we were checking in. As we were the only ones checking in, we were surprised at the indifferent, unprofessional, almost insulting behaviour. No help was provided for our bags entering the hotel and when we asked that they be sent up to our room, it was half an hour before they arrived at the room. Again, there were no other guests checking in. For $400+ a night, we really expected a little nicer appointed room. It was small, dark and cramped. The hotel is so close to the adjacent building that you can read the titles on the books in the office across from our room. (505). At night, the curtains have to be drawn because the florescent lighting next door is so bright. The room had a hideous, 4-postered bed, which was actually just 4 bed rails fashioned into a 4-postered bed, which served no purpose except to obscure the view of the ancient, 27 inch TV mounted high near the ceiling like in a hospital room. The bed was lumpy and sloppily made. Although 24 hour room service is advertised, repeated calls went unanswered. My husband finally had to go back down to the front desk to place a food order for a sandwhich. The cell phone reception in this purportedly business friendly hotel was horrible. We left our room at 11:00AM the next morning and asked for our room to be made up. At 1:30 PM when we returned it was still in the process of being cleaned. When we returned later that afternoon, the Sunday paper we had been reading had been discarded! It was still Sunday !!! The hotel car which is meant to be a convenience for guests does not pick up guests at the airport!! And for this price the hotel doesn't even provide a few bottles of complimentary bottled water in the room. Lots of other hotels to choose from in this price range, so don't bother with this one...

• Liked — Nice pens
  • Disliked — Too many things to pick just one.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank DeemarieSingapore
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2007

My husband and I stayed here the weekend of July 27-30. Right after I booked this hotel, I learned that it was one of Travel & Leisure's Top 100 Continental U.S. hotels (#59). That made me really excited to stay there and have this experience. I don't really get what T&L was thinking when they put this on their list. There has got to be another hotel out there that is more deserving of this ranking.

The lobby and rooms do have beautiful finishes (i.e., crown moldings, gorgeous furniture) and the hotel has a really luxurious feel throughout. It is in a great location and you can easily walk to most of the amazing restaurants, shops and tourist sights in Boston.

The service was not what I'd expect from a luxury hotel. Some of the staff were really nice and truly wanted to make the experience great. But some (especially one of the front desk attendants) had that annoying "you are so not worthy to be staying at my hotel" attitude that I've experienced in some other trendy hotels (e.g. Gansevoort in NYC). I was rudely put on hold once when trying to call the front desk ("Can you hold? We are SO busy right now" and put me on hold before I could even answer). When we tried to use the free car service that everyone raved about on this site, they told us it was booked for that time but the doorman could hail a cab for us. Thanks. We asked to use the car to the airport and there was a $35 charge - not horrible but just unexpected since they told us at check-in there was a complimentary car available to us considering the airport is a 10 minute drive). Also, the fitness center is really, really small.

We had drinks at the restaurant each night (it's now called Mooo, not the Federalist, which to be honest I think is a gross and unappetizing name for a steakhouse). The bartenders were very nice and friendly.

Overall, it was a good experience and a nice hotel. I don't think I'd stay again though. If you are looking for the service, luxury and consistency that should come with this price range, stick with the Four Seasons or the Ritz.

• Liked — Great location, beautiful finishes/furniture, very pretty
  • Disliked — Snobby attitude, fitness center way too small, small bathrooms
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lmk2006
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2007

My partner, my best Friend and I needed a bit of spoiling and booked into the XV on Beacon whilst attending the Barbra Striesand concert.

We are in the hospitality industry and are normally very critical of establishments that we stay in. I guess we have an eye. Couldnt fault the hotel at all and all in all had one of the most memorable weekends of my life.

Brads Rasberry Martini's are still talked about and all in all from reservation to departure the hotel exceeded our expectations. So if you fancy a spoiling this is the place

• Liked — The unintrusive Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank MartiniBoy
Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Fifteen Beacon on our wedding night. When we arrived to get into our room that afternoon, the room was not ready and we had to wait nearly 40 min to get in. This normally wouldn't be a huge problem, but I needed to get ready...for our wedding! I ended up having to rush which wasn't a nice experience. The complimentary chauffeur service was great - we arrived at the church in a fancy mercedes for free!

Other problems - the shower did not drain and leaked all over the bathroom floor. The LCD in the bathroom didn't work. The fireplace also didn't work and we had to have someone come down and turn it on for us. The snacks in the mini fridge were very old and stale - at checkout we asked them to waive the snack costs and they nicely did so.

The positives? The rooftop garden was lovely and the breakfast the next day was very tasty. As I mentioned earlier, the complimentary chauffeur service was great as well. The rooms and hotel decor were very nice, but in general this hotel is not worth the high costs.

Stayed July 2006
2 Thank moriahc
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2007

My husband and I stayed for the weekend of the 23rd of May to celebrate my birthday and after checking in effortlessly the manager sent a complimentary bottle of bubbly and chocolate covered strawberries to our room. The studio suite was lovely and cosy, the sheets were soft and fine and the bathroom toiletries (the mirrored lip gloss was a lovely touch) and thick bathrobes were gorgeous. The complimentary Lexus parked out the front of the hotel was also great (the chauffeur was so nice and recommended the Metropolis in the South End for brunch). Thank you Beacon XV for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple