“Loved the XV Beacon!”

Ranked #10 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Calgary, Canada
“Loved the XV Beacon!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2007

We arrived in the late evening to our studio suite to have a bottle of Champagne on water - must have been there all day. It was a sweet gesture though, as we were celebrating our 10th Anniversary.

Everyone was very friendly and always welcomed us back or expresssed interest in how our day was. There were a few men who worked the concierge desk, but all were fairly helpful with restaurant suggestions! The sedan service is definitely an added bonus, however I always felt guilty when asking for use of it. Like I was made to feel that I didn't deserve it, or that there were more important people to use it.

The location is fantastic.....so close to all the downtown attractions.....thus we sorta forgot about the waterfront, north end and such. Oh well, next time!

I enjoyed the quaint feeling I got from the front door men in their fedoras, the lift, doorbells to the room and the flowers on the window ledge.

I loved the hotel....but I am a bit torn as I don't think that it was worth every penny I spent. We did have a great experience, but honestly I have stayed in a lot of swanky hotels, with a much smaller price tag.

• Liked — Location,Location, Location!
  • Disliked — The price!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank purplecat22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Katie in Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2007

My husband and I just visited the XV Beacon Hotel this Memorial Day weekend, and we were VERY pleased with the experience. The location is perfect, within walking distance to the Boston Commons, Quincy Market, the Public Gardens, even Fenway Park if you're willing to put your walking shoes on. The service was friendly and professional, without the pretentiousness of some luxury hotels. The decor was modern and sleak, just our style. We were offered an upgrade upon arrival to a studio room because the hotel was not full, and the room was delightful. It was spacious, bright with amazing windows, a nice view of Beacon Street. There was a stereo in the room with speakers throughout so the music was lovely. The TV was a little small and rather far from the bed, but oh well, no room's perfect. The bathroom was spacious and beautiful, all marble with nice dark wood accents. They use high-end bath products which was a nice touch. There was limited drawer space which, combined with the small-ish TV, were the only drawbacks. Overall, we were very pleased with the room.

We ate breakfast in the Federalist, which was SO delicious. We didn't get a chance to eat dinner there, but would have if we hadn't had reservations elsewhere. We had drinks one night at the bar and that experience was great, excellent selection of spirits. While talking with the restaurant staff we were told that the restaurant will undergo extensive renovations this summer to appeal to a more young, modern crowd, which while understandable, is an unfortunate reality since the current environment is gorgeous and classy. We tried to reserve the complimentary car service, but were unable due to previous bookings, so I would recommend that if you want to take advantage of the car service, book early and don't wait til last minute. We were pleasantly surprised though to learn that because we valeted a Lexus, we did not incur a parking fee. Kinda made up for the car service being unavailable.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. My husband and I are rather particular about hotels and were so happy we chose the XV Beacon.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — honestly nothing important enough to list
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Katie C
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The first room we were booked into on the 2nd floor was very noisy due to positioning of an exterior air-con unit right outside the window. After a couple of calls to reception, we were shown two rooms on different floors, which although slightly smaller, were progressively quieter - we settled for one on the 7th floor. The reception desk (in particular Josh) were friendly and understanding throughout this process.
Our room was very luxurious and comfortable - as you would expect from this type of hotel. Room service was fairly quick (about 30mins) and tasty - although the room really wasn't big enough for the enormous wheely trolley it came served on.
We also ate in the restaurant, the Fed, which was also good quality food - the winelist is impressive and extensive.
One draw-back if you like to relax somewhere other than your room, is the lack of "public space" at the hotel - there is only a small area in the lobby. There is a roof garden, but it was closed during our stay.
Overall, I would recommend the VX Beacon and would stay there again.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — Lack of public space
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jenster001
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2007

XV Beacon is AMAZING! The service is outstanding! We went for a weekend getaway and told the reservationist that it was a special weekend for us. We received champagne and strawberries, as well as a note from the general manager!

Also, there is complimentary Lexus sedan that took us to dinner at Mistral. We looked fabulous driving around in the Lexus!

If you want a special hotel where you feel like you are staying in a high end Boston Brownstone, this is the place!!! You will not want to go HOME!

• Liked — Love the Boston feel!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank hotellova
Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2007

We were on a business/leisure trip. It was a high star rating and deserved it. Around the corner from Boston Common, Fanueiul Hall, etc. Easy to get to city centre. The hotel breakfast was fantastic, if expensive. Every dish was amazing. When in Boston city, the Mapparium is worth a visit, along with the top of the Prudential building, to get a great idea of where everything is. There are some great museums to visit.

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MaryCork
Wellesley, Ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2007

My husband surprised me for our 10th anniversary with a night in this hotel. It was as incredible as all the travel guides say it is. We had a studio unit on the 4th floor with a gas fireplace and a view of Beacon Street and the Boston Common. The furnishings were excellent, very tasteful - modern but very comfortable. The little touches were great too from the perfectly aligned 3 paperclips on the desk to the bath amenities (all from Fresh, which I use at home too!) to the little TV in the bathroom. They gave us a bottle of champagne since it was our anniversary, a very nice touch. The hotel also provides a car and driver for guests to use - a nice service but you do need to "book in advance" when you arrive so that it will be available when you want it. The lobby is dimly lit, which I liked but some people might not - it is a boutique hotel so the lobby area is small.

We did not eat dinner at the restaurant but did order room service for breakfast - eggs, hash browns, and sausage and bacon for my husband, Everything was well-cooked and nicely presented. Nothing out of the ordinary however.

The staff were all friendly and helpful. When we left, I realized that I had left my gloves in the lobby, A quick phone call to the concierge was all it took to get them to send them to us at home - even wrapped the gloves!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Boston who doesn't want a huge hotel like the Ritz or Four Seasons. In addition to great service, it has a great location right near the Boston Common and Beacon Hill.

• Liked — The helpful staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank banana0711
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2006

My husband and I went to the XV Beacon Hotel for our first wedding anniversary, and I can't express enough what a throughly enjoyable and welcoming experience it was. From the moment we walked into the hotel until the moment we left, the service was top notch and every little detail was attended to. Every hotel staff member wished us a happy anniversary daily, we had champagne and strawberries upon arrival, the room was very comfortable and romantic with a great working fireplace, and the concierge Jonathan was so accomodating with booking us restaurants, live music shows, tours, spa treatments, etc. The Federalist was much better than expected as well -- probably our best meal in Boston. The neighborhood also can't be beat -- so charming! The price is definitely worth it -- if you want service, this is the place to stay. We travel often around the world and my husband is in the hospitality business, and XV Beacon is without question one of the best hotels we have ever had the pleasure of visiting.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple