“Understated Elegance”
Review of XV Beacon

XV Beacon
Ranked #20 of 86 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed May 24, 2010

Tucked away at the top of Beacon Hill, surrounded by tiny streets and buildings, the Hotel Beacon XV is a gem. It's a historic building, kept in great shape - the lobby is small, but charming, and the elevator is a real classic. The staff is excellent - accommodating, discrete, helpful, polite. I was traveling alone, and made to feel totally welcome both in the hotel and in the restaurant. My room wasn't grand, but had everything i needed, great linens, beautiful bathroom, desk with good lighting, mini- bar (only used the ice bucket, but ice arrived promptly when i called) and a good reading chair. The view was non existent, but the room was so comfortable it didn't matter. Great artwork and a bowl of fresh green apples in the hall. I used my Am Ex platinum card, which gave me an upgrade (didn't happen, they were booked - Celtics were in town) and a credit for dinner and breakfast. Moo, their restaurant, was great. Had a terrific lunch of arugula salad, lobster roll and 2 glasses of wine which pretty much burned thru my $85 dinner credit, but that's ok - it was delicious! Room service breakfast the next day was just as good - fresh made pastries, not the kind frozen or from a box. Fresh fruit, coffee, juice and delivered exactly on time. Concierge was helpful in making arrangements, and the town car was a treat to take me to my meeting. All in all an excellent stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank ruthanne17
Write a ReviewReviews (1,150)

Reviewed May 11, 2010

My boyfreind and I stayed for one night during the weekend. We did have reservations at the Top of the Hub, we ended up canceling them, because the hotel was so nice. The resterant that is connected to the hotel is called "Mooo" . We got room service and orderd from Mooo. We both had the filet, witch was excellent! We had the studio suite, witch consisted of a fire place, serieo (with sround sound), TV/DVD player in the bathroom, a rain shower head, a tub with jets, and a IPOD dock. It was on the side of beacon street, so the view was nice. The staff was so plesent... i would go back with out a doubt, Its the pefect setting if your looking for romance.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lobean
Reviewed April 15, 2010

I am in line with other reviews of this property. Attentive service; very nice rooms and decor; excellent location just off Boston Commons right by the state capital building. The rooms are like apartments; I had a corner studio. Other smaller rooms were perfectly adequate. What you aren't getting here are rooms with great views (and the view from the rooftop isn't much to see either) but the window and indoor lighting is decent, gym is a bit sparse (cardio machines plus some small free weights), and the elevators are slow so you often have to wait for them awhile. Dining room for dinner was rather good if you go for steakhouse fare (i wasn't thrilled with the menu but it was fine); breakfast service was a bit off as the servers didn't speak English well and had difficulty understanding what I wanted when I went off the center line. Rooms offered good value for money; the Amex platinum program is especially good value but you should know that "dinner for two" as an amenity really means an $85 food and beverage credit which will serve dinner for one in their restaurant. I would return and recommend highly this hotel as good value especially considering the negative reviews that others are getting in somewhat similar price point territory such as the Langham and the Taj.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank 649ic
Reviewed April 10, 2010

The service was impressive as soon as I walked in to the beautifully renovated hotel on the top of Beacon Hill. Mitch greeted me at the front desk and soon after Jonathan, the hotel's concierge was already asking me if I needed a dinner reservation for the evening. Instead of having to visit the cash machine, I was immediately cash advanced to pay the valet. The ride to the room was short on the classic rod iron that was pleasantly rejuvenated with a glass enclosure; whomever designed this hotel had a ton of class.

I stayed in a studio which I recommend that had high ceilings, three feet tall mouldings, a fireplace that you could turn on from the comfort of your own bed, and a mini bar that might rival that of the restaurant bar, Mooo.., downstairs. From the second I arrived, I had needed several things and there was not a request they could not have granted. My good friend came over with a newly bottled bottle of his Diabolique Tequila, a Boston great. We ordered cocktail shakers, mint, pineapple, crushed ice, and muddlers; no problem Mr. Bloomer. Cell phone charger? No problem...Bandaid and neosporin? No Problem...When leaving I was dashed to the airport in no time in the complimentary car service by Lexus having wished goodbyes by the whole staff. If you happen to come to Boston and would like a luxurious boutique hotel, make your next stay at XV Beacon. Don't forget to stop by the Rooftop deck and the fitness room. I didn't have the time to make it.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank boston2NYC1
Reviewed March 29, 2010

My cousin and I were going to the jay z concert at the garden, so we decided to splurge on a nice hotel to spend the night. It was raining as we pulled up our car to the curb and immediately were warmly greeted by the doorman who didnt hesitate to cover us with umbrellas as he escorted us inside. We were then greeted by a very friendly concierge and asked if we were in need of a complimentary towncar any time during our stay. We said yes and asked where we were heading. We told them a concert and a car would be waiting for us when we were ready. We headed up to the room, and our bags soon followed. Upon entering, you feel as though you are in a posh manhattan apartment and NOT a hotel room! the decor is fabulous and immediately we felt pampered. waiting for us was a plate of cheese, crackers, and chocolate covered strawberries (which was very fresh), along with a fully stocked fridge and snack draw with everything imaginable that you could want. As we were getting ready for the night, my cousin realized she forgot her heels in the car and went down to the lobby to retrieve her car to get them. the conceirge told us that there was no need and he would send someone to get the heels for her out of the car. Ten minutes later he showed up at our door with the shoes. we headed downstairs to take the towncar to the concert. the driver opened the door for us and said that he had jay z playing in the car for us! EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank stefwlthanf
Reviewed March 20, 2010

We chose to celebrate our wedding at XV Beacon over St. Patrick's Day...and they did not disappoint.
Upon arrival we were upgraded to a spacious studio room with a view of Beacon Street. Our room was appointed with a fireplace and premium wine bar...not many hotels have half bottles of Sauternes and Opus One available. Our room had surround sound speakers throughout the studio, dimming ceiling lighting and an evening turn down service with printed placards of the next days weather forecast. The bathroom was well done - a vessel sink with elegant English bath fixtures. The rain shower was amazing! We also had free in-room wi-fi for the duration of our stay. The hotel also boasts a beautiful roof top deck with amazing views of the city and the Charles River.
The hotel is perfectly located...it is within walking distance of Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market, Newbury Street, and Boston Common. On a pretty evening , it is even a nice walk to the North End for a great meal. A luxury car is also available for transportation throughout your stay.
The best part was the gracious staff. They were very friendly, easy to talk to, and very accomodating. We even saw our concierge, Michael, out in the North End one evening and he made a point of saying hello...and making sure we had directions to our restaurant!
We felt right at home and we will return to our new home time and time again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2010

My husband and I travelled from Brookline to Boston (about 5 minutes by car) to spend our wedding anniversary at XV Beacon and dine at Moo. To say that is was perfect is an understatement! We were very impressed at the service and attention that the staff provided. I am interior designer and I was drooling over the decor, sexy, masculine and understated. The restaurant was amazing, I am still craving those truffle fries! Really it couldn't have been better! I cannot wait to go again, hopefully for a longer stay;)

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple