“Great location boutique hotel”
Review of XV Beacon

XV Beacon
Ranked #15 of 85 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Very good location easy access to all sites in city. Hotel staff great, make use of hotel cars saves on taxis.Moo restaurant in hotel brilliant although not the cheapest but you get what you pay for as they say. Hotel rooms a little on the dark side more lighting might be useful but not too much else to complain about.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Jim L
Write a ReviewReviews (1,144)

Reviewed May 16, 2013

This is a charming property strategically located on Beacon Hill near the T, many great restaurants, and Faneuil Hall. Given the amount of money we spent on these accommodations, I feel that the door staff was rather inattentive: they seemed to be inside texting and yakking, or outside looking in the opposite direction. It's not that I'm such a frail-flower, but the doors in this hotel are extremely heavy and the assistance not only would have been nice, but should be expected. On mornings that I went to the gym, I watched the doorman sitting at the concierge desk while I manhandled the doors. (Maybe he figured that since I was going to the gym anyway, I might as well get started on my upper-body workout by doing some door sets.)

Connecting to the in-house wifi soon became a daily (sometimes twice daily) annoying ritual. (Come on guys, this Internet-thing isn't a fad: let's get it together!) There was way too-much furniture in our room. Once we got rid of a bunch of chairs and tables, there was plenty of space. The concierge was very accommodating, emptying the mini-bar for us so we could use the frig, getting us contoured pillows, and making sure our shipped bicycles were picked-up/delivered by FedEx.

We were able to use the gym next door, but at this price-point, the hotel should have an arrangement with the gym so no additional fees are incurred by the guests. (If we had had to pay the required $15 daily charge to use the gym, I would have really felt ripped-off.)

The fruit bowls on each floor was a nice touch, but they seemed to be replenished infrequently.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask to have surplus furniture removed from your room, or to have the mini-bar...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2013

The BAD - Connectivity to e-mail and the net with computers, ipads and phones required entering new passwords pretty much everyday. While it isn't a deal breaker the digital security seemed amateurish for a property so near MIT. The facade was getting a face-lift so there was scaffolding around the front door. That may be the reason only a couple of the doormen stuck to their post and got the heavy door open consistently. Others spent more time inside the lobby chatting than getting their work done. One bad thing was the quantity of furniture in the room. It was so crowded that we asked to get some removed during our stay. After that happened, we had a great spacious room. Finally, we never met the manager. We make it a habit to get to know them during our travels but never made contact at XV Beacon. We expect more of a management presence at high end properties.
The GOOD - Transportation! Great house car service that was a Godsend for my arthritic sister. The drivers made a real difference in getting her around. Great location near the T stops for Gov. Center and Park St. Housekeeping! got our schedule and did the cleaning and turn down service at good times. The doormen/bellmen were very good, too. Food! Besides great walking distance restaurants there is a convenience store and a CVS nearby for snack items and drinks. Breakfasts at The Paramount on Charles St. are inexpensive and delicious. The Starbucks at Gov. Center is good, too and opens at 5:30.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CanyonCondor
Reviewed May 8, 2013

After combing through reviews and traveler photos of XV Beacon it reminded me of NYC's, Surrey hotel so I was compelled to book a room to see if it measured up.
The lobby while small, was chic with a fireplace, sitting area and concierge readily available to help with any request. Steven checked me in and his professional but unpretentious and inviting demeanor was especially appreciated. Impeccably clean with rich tones and a blend of contemporary yet classic furnishings made me feel right at home.

The room was about 600-650 sq ft and boasted an electric fireplace and flat screen which articulated for viewing either in the sitting area or in bed. Bathroom was laid in Cararra marble and rainfall shower with jacuzzi tub. From the towels, chairs, linens, XV Beacon didn't miss a step. It's beautiful, luxurious furnishings, exceptional service encourages me to return. The only blemish for an otherwise fantastic stay was my dinner at their only restaurant, Mooo. I had both dinner and breakfast at Mooo. My experience at dinner was disappointing. The food was fresh, beautifully prepared and consistent however the service was below average. I was forgotten about after checking in for my dinner reservation and that turned out to be the theme of my dinner service with a dash of uptightness. I also had breakfast at Mooo. The food quality and presentation is on par with their dinner service, however, the servers at breakfast were inviting, kind and attentive. A stark contrast to my service at dinner.

XV Beacon did not disappoint. It's beautiful…from it's luxurious furnishings and inviting staff, I am encouraged to return…I just will be sure not to sit in that waiter's section again;)

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a view albeit small slice, of Boston Commons.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Lots of room details in other reviews, so I won't repeat here.
Briefly, the more expensive corner rooms are especially spacious with large windows on 2 walls.
Even numbered rooms face the street and have a bit more light. Rooms ending in '06 (e.g., 706) are the desirable corner rooms. Location is perfect for walking and only a block from the T.

I've stayed at most of the high end hotels in boston (Ritz, Four Seasons, etc) and much prefer the rooms here over the standard hotel fare.

The restaurant here is good, but not memorable.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms face the street. Rooms ending in '06 are corner rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank windance
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My wfe and I stayed 4 nights here and were blown away this hotel. The staff are fantastic and make you feel at home. Staying here is like staying with a good friend. The location is fantastic, just down from the Capital building and Boston Commons and so central that everything is within walking distance. Anyone staying here will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gary B
Reviewed April 24, 2013

It's rare these days to find staff who you feel are genuinely interested in how you're going, how they can help, what sights to see and so on...often you feel like such suggestions are either an obligation in their job role or it's to reinforce you giving them a tip. Not so here, all the staff were warm, helpful and generally lovely - from the drivers of the luxury Lexus house cars to reception, concierge and cleaners. The rooms were modern with flat screen TV, stereo, iPod docks, towel heater, Internet and all of the mod-cons but in a heritage style with dark wood, four poster bed and elegant furniture. Just the one area for improvement- king size beds would be great in all rooms to match the 5 star luxury everywhere else in this fantastic hotel.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple