“Wonderful experience”

Seaport Boston Hotel
Ranked #5 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 8, 2007

I have visited Seaport Hotel on many occaisions for business lunches and meetings, and have always been impressed with the service and attentiveness of the staff.
When I had to spend an overnight in Boston, I did not hesitate to make my reservation at Seaport. I was pleased, but not surprised, to discover that the impeccable service I had grown so fond of at the bar and the restaurant extended to the entire hotel. From the doorman to the concierge to the staff at the fitness center, everyone was genuine and courteous. And the gracious woman at the giftshop was nothing but pleasant after I unknowingly had her stay open an extra 10 minutes as I purchased a few items that I had forgotten.

The fitness center was one of the nicest I have ever experienced and was a far cry from the 3-treadmill, outdated fitness centers I have seen at other hotels. And the locker room was just as impressive. I did not get to experience a spa-treatment, but it is certainly on my to-do list.

Another thing that shouldn't go unnoticed is the hotel's committment to being environmentally conscious. This includes encouraging guests to recycle and providing them with the means to do so as well as giving the option to reuse towels and linens- which is a conservation measure that really adds up. The subject of the environment is important to me, and I was thrilled when I saw the hotel's dedication to the environment.

Lasty the guests rooms were cozy and vibrant, and the views of the waterfront and the city could not be beat!

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Seaport, and recommend it to anyone who is planning on staying in Boston. And if you live in Boston, I suggest that you at least experience the hotel restaurant and bar or treat yourself to a facial!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank KayeBoston
Write a ReviewReviews (5,005)

Reviewed February 27, 2007

WOW what a disappointment. We stayed here a couple of weeks ago. After returning home, I thought about the poor service we had received and emailed the hotel about it. I was immediately sent back a generic email acknowledging their receipt of my email, and told I would receive a response within 24 hours. 4 days later when I still hadn’t heard back, I called the hotel. I was assured by a very nice man at the front desk that my concerns would be addressed. He confirmed my contact information. Now 12 days later I STILL haven’t received the courtesy of a response and apparently never will. WOW, still can’t believe this. For a new upper class hotel to act with this extraordinary lack of professionalism is a total mind blower. They do not give a rat’s butt about my experience, and don’t mind that I know this- the message cannot be clearer. (And if I now receive a response to this review from the hotel, I'll be even madder that this is what it took for them to take notice.)

We stayed here on a Friday night. This is an 18 story hotel which is very nicely appointed. It has what I'm sure is a very nice restaurant (though too expensive for us), a nice bar with couches & comfy chairs, a top notch very large full service gym, and an indoor heated pool. What could be the problem, you say?

1) The "no tipping" policy sounds good when you check in. We discovered soon however, why it isn’t. Absolutely everything you buy and do and eat has an automatic 18% charge tacked onto it. Friday night we went to the hotel's bar. We ordered a margarita, and a gin & tonic, and were served quickly. We asked for a menu and while going over same, I began to realize that my drink was not a gin & tonic but a RUM & tonic- absolutely no question about it. Still, not wanting to make a fuss, I said nothing at first. Meanwhile, I noticed that everyone around us had been served with the standard bowl of peanuts that bars serve, except us, but I thought, no matter, our order will be taken and we'll be eating soon. (We were pretty hungry.) We decided on items from the menu, and put ours down on the counter and waited. The bartender, the same one who had given us our menus, walked over and left our check, then walked away without a word. We sat there, confused. No one approached us to take our order or at least offer us the peanut bowl. Meanwhile I had my rum and tonic in front of me. I flagged down another bartender and told her about the mistake with my drink and that I didn’t want it, and asked her to remove it from the bill. She apologized and did so, and when I looked at the new bill, it contained not only the $10 charge for my companion's drink (yes $10 for a margarita), but also the hotel's 18% "service charge".

So for unacceptably poor service, for which I wouldn't have left a tip, the staff still got their full tip. Again – I emailed the hotel with this story, and they never responded. Maybe this particular incident wasn’t a huge deal, but by first telling me I would hear back in 24 hours and then not responding to even my follow up request for a response, it became a big deal to us. What this hotel does not understand is that the whole IDEA behind tipping is that it hopefully encourages good service. If you received good service, you tip, if you didn't, you don't, yet this place forces you to, regardless.

2) Location- I can’t stress this enough to those who are unfamiliar with Boston: this hotel is in a VERY odd, largely empty area of Boston down by the fish piers. Trust me, there ain't much going on here, folks. Also, the area is positively brimming with parking lots, yet they still charges you $28 dollars a day for parking yourself in their garage! You are at least 7 very large virtually empty city blocks away from anything a tourist or even business traveler would want to visit or see, such as Faneuil Hall or the Freedom Trail or downtown, etc. You are near some seafood restaurants, the Institute of Contemporary Art, and Dunkin Donuts across the road. That's it.

Granted, the newish "T" line, the Silver line, is across the street, so you can hop on the train/bus to get into town, but otherwise this is a dead, empty area of the city.

3) Our room was quite small - literally smaller than rooms I've stayed in at the Motel 6. Nice bathroom, nice fluffy feather pillows, nice down comforter. But the tv wasn’t what one would expect in a hotel of this class – for example you literally had to walk up to turn it off and on (the remote only worked to change channels). Perhaps a small thing, but things add up at this place.

4) Noise: While there is virtually no noise from outside the hotel, we were treated several times to the sounds of our neighbors urinating, which was clear as a bell for some reason, and mind you, not something we heard from inside our bathroom which would have been understandable, but from the main room. I have no idea why this is, other than paper thin walls, apparently. Also, the toilet flush is extremely strong. Not a bad thing I guess, but what that means is, each and every time any of your neighbors (above below or next to you) flush, you hear it, all night.

5) Overly pricey hotel restaurant. For example, $14 waffles. To be fair, we didn’t eat there so I can’t vouch for whether it might be worth the price.

6) And finally, the pool is a quite small for a hotel of this size and both times we attempted to use it, it was full with literally a dozen kids splashing around, tossing balls around & running all over the place. It was like being at a daycare center. There was no physical room to swim, so were unable to. A surprising finding for what is supposed to be a business hotel.

We looked forward to staying here, but were disappointed on so many levels, particularly the hotel's refusal to even attempt to address or respond to our complaint, that we certainly never will again.

• Stayed: February 2007
5  Thank bboinnng
SeaportGM, Vice President, General Manager at Seaport Boston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2007

When I first read this review, I must admit I was angry. Not at this guest for writing but because this person attempted to communicate his dissatisfaction with his experience and we failed to show empathy while responding to completion. This is extremely unlike this hotel and the team members who work here. I am very proud of the service that is provided here and the consistently high levels of performance that one can read about in most of the TripAdvisor reviews and elsewhere.

On reading this we immediately launched an internal investigation. We were able to identify who received the e-mail complaint about the Aura Lounge service and I now understand the fumbled communications. I wrote to bboinnng and apologized profusely. We recognize that we did not meet Mr. bboinnng's standards of service in this case, and we compounded that by not responding promptly and fully. We apologize for those failures, and we have used this situation as a learning experience to drive our efforts of continuous improvement.

Seaport is a no-tipping environment and our service levels are exceptionally high. In my years at the property, I have known of one protest to the automatic service charge that was voiced over the principle, and the service charge was immediately removed from the bill. It is more common that guests voice their concern that they are not allowed to tip.

Reviewed February 19, 2007

I stayed at the Seaport Hotel/Boston over President's Day weekend. The hotel, while nicely appointed and comfortable, featured walls that weren't as insulated as I think they should be.

I was sitting at the desk working on my laptop and was interrupted shall we say by the very clear sound of someone using the facilities either upstairs or next door. I heard everything, and I mean, EVERYTHING coming from the bathroom. The Seaport should have put more money into constructing the rooms with soundproofing, not only for the outside walls, but additionally for the inside ones as well.

While I would recommend this hotel for a business traveler or tourists, they should be cautioned as to the noise that may eminate from the next room.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank dorchesterdd
Reviewed January 24, 2007

I've stayed at the Seaport several times over the last few years. I travel to Boston frequently, and the Seaport is one of the few hotels I've chosen to stay at more than once.

While the hotel is a bit farther removed from the heart of the city, it's by no means out of the way, and the level of service more than makes up for a few extra blocks walking.

The staff is extremely helpful and dedicated to making guests feel not just welcomed, but special. Especially notable given the all-inclusive, no tipping policy at the hotel. There's also appears to be a very low staff turnover rate, and it's been great to be welcomed by the same friendly faces each trip. It feels more like visiting an old friend than staying in a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed December 21, 2006

I am so disappointed to have to write this review. I love this hotel and its service inclusive policy and so much of what it tries to achieve. Unfortunately on my last trip here a number of things left a bad taste in the mouth.

Good points first of all
- no tipping
- the best hotel gym I have ever been in (and I have seen a lot)
- free internet in the room
- great food in the bar and friendly bar staff
- good enviromental policy

Bad points
- our 4am alarm clock did not materialise meaning that we were almost late for our flight.
- the taxi they called was 'jumped' by another taxi who then tried to con us by not turning on the meter. The bellhop placed our luggage in the 'wrong' taxi and we felt forced to go with the wrong one - he didn't seem to care that this taxi had appeared from nowhere.
- there are no breakfast items on the in-room menu before 6am

I suppose the big question is would I stay here again? The answer is an unequivocal 'yes' but I don't think of the hotel as fondly as I once did.

Stayed: December 2006
1  Thank N5girl
Reviewed December 11, 2006

Very impressed with the Seaport. A lot of little touches that make it great - the doorbells, with do not disturb feature, the gym was great and the room service was also very good but expensive.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank offroadbiker
Reviewed November 9, 2006

My husband and I have stayed at the Seaport twice in the last 6 months. Service is excellent (right from when your cab pulls up to the hotel), the rooms are spacious, comfortable and clean (and some have awesome views of the harbor) and the atmosphere is one that makes you feel right at home. All the service people were friendly, efficient and responsive. The hotel's no-tipping policy is a very nice touch -- more hotels should do this! The restaurant and bar have good food and are convenient. The quick walk , adjacent subway stop or free shuttle to downtown make it a nice base from which to see Boston. It is a little removed from the busy, noisy downtown, which for us is a positive. There are some great restaurants in walking distance and you can catch a ferry to Provincetown across the street. We fell in love with Boston and the hotel was part of the reason why.

• Stayed: October 2006