“Business Travel”

Seaport Boston Hotel
Ranked #5 of 85 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 7, 2005

I had fairly low expectations of this hotel based on some of the previous reviews. I was pleasantly surprised by the friendly staff and the good service I received throughout my stay. My check-in was a breeze and I was given a corner room with a nice view of the harbor. While the room itself was fairly bland, it was comfortable, clean and overall pleasing to my very particular taste.

I agree that the location is not ideal for a tourist, but for a business traveler, the location is quite good. Overall, I had a good experience.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
8  Thank Grommit7
Write a ReviewReviews (4,990)

Bowling Green, Kentucky
Reviewed July 6, 2005

Just stayed one night - nice hotel, great location to the wharf. We did the dinner cruise on Spirit of Boston - just had to walk over and get on the boat. Would definitely stay here again. Comfortable bed too.

• Stayed: July 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 7, 2005

My fiance surprised me on our anniversary weekend (memorial day weekend) with a little getaway into Boston (our neighboring city and where in fact, we had both gone to college) since we were too busy with work to manage a more distant trip.

I'd like to preface this by saying that given that since this was a complete surprise to me, I had zero expectations. I will be very frank - I have stayed in many hotels ranging from a Four Seasons to a Super 8; as well as many hotels in Boston. The #1 criteria for me are these: a.) Cleanliness and b.) Customer Service and c.) Value. If you're paying for grade A service, you are entitled to receive it, if you are paying for B service, don't expect A service.

At best, I'd say our room was small, though it was clean. I was surprised at the rates we were charged for standard size room. The bed covering seemed cheap, and bed itself was uncomfortable to merely sit on. Aside from that, it was about the size and aesthetic of a dorm room with carpeting.

Location - For people visiting, I would strongly suggest you stay closer to the city as this hotel is really meant for business purposes. The area completely shuts down at night and there is nothing to see once you take a stroll through the deserted courtyard. An empty wharf, a shut down warehouse and what appeared to be a seafood restaurant somewhere down the way.

All in all, we spent about 1/2 an hour in the room, surveying the contents and trying to make do with what was available to us. After seeing the completely deserted restaurant, and realized there really were not any available areas for even a quick snack we decided to try elsewhere.

What made me give this review a 'Terrible' as opposed to an Okay or even a Neutral, was the attitude the Manager downstairs dispensed to us after we had very amicably explained our situation. We were not expecting a 100% full refund. That would have been nice, and in my mind, probably the best customer service they could have provided -- but CERTAINLY not the argument of "you are from the area, you should know better." Instead of walking away from the situation with both parties satisfied, the manager on duty chose to charge us $50, openly claiming we had dirtied the room after we offered for them to come up and please look at the room we were given [for condition and quality], claim that our complaint or reason for leaving was bogus all in somewhat of a distasteful manner. I think, the charge may have been fair, I expected better manners, customer service and poise from a hotel that praises themselves in the regard in which they do on their website and I'm completely dissapointed that we have extended ourselves to what we thought was an A/B Hotel and was met with D or Failing service and paid for it. I only hope that sharing my experience will help the hotel reform their management or deter some visitors from wasting their time.

If you are a visitor to Boston, I have always, always had great luck with the Marriot Copley. You can easily find your way to the waterfront via cab or T and the rooms are easily 2x-3x the size with 3x the quality of what you are getting.

• Stayed: May 2005
18  Thank ROAMEStudios
Reviewed June 2, 2005

My fiance and I decided to stay in boston for the weekend. I read good things about the Seaport Hotel and they were running a promo so I booked us there. We had a "harbor-view" room, which was not harbor view. It faced another building and if you really turned your head you could look at the harbor. Do not be fooled by the pictures of the rooms, it doesn't look like that. The comforter on the bed looked like it was from the 1970's and it felt disgusting. The room was dark and drab. Incredibly plain.

We decided we'd try to make a go of it and went out to look around. There is nothing around the hotel. The pool is just a lap pool, not very relaxing and no hot tub in there. We decided we were just going to leave, it was not at all what we were expecting. We went to complain after an hour of being there and the hotel manager was completely unreceptive to my feedback. He said he has never heard a complaint before... (not exactly superb customer service). He informed me I was from Acton, MA, i should know what this hotel is like. Bottomline, he refused to let us leave without a $50 payment for "room cleaning". Well, I hope the $50 is worth all the bad reviews my fiance and I are posting. I don't think I have ever been so unsatisfied in my life.

• Stayed: May 2005
9  Thank cascadejim
Reviewed February 28, 2005

We had a great stay at this hotel. The staff is exceptional and the hotel is beautiful! You do not have to tip... in fact they will not accept tips. The front desk has the best recommendations for food. The bathroom was beautiful and the beds are comfortable. We would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: February 2005, traveled on business
10  Thank Florida.Girl.2006
Newport News, VA
Reviewed February 3, 2005

We had a great trip with our pup to Boston. The staff was terrific and we felt exceptionally welcome. The indoor pool was great, but it is a small lap pool and they should have a kiddie area. The indoor gym was good too.
The weather was terrible one day and my husband and I enjoyed having a casual dinner in the bar area watching the boats and the airplanes take off from Logan.
Yes, the location isn't prime b/c you have to schlep to the subway. It is close to the children's museum.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 31, 2004

ROOMS: Average. Nothing great, not luxury if that's what you are expecting. Feels very business class, in other words, beige and cream interior, ship theme art, blonde wood furniture that has an IKEA feel to it. Again, nothing great. I only paid a special rate of $99 so to me, it was fine. If I had paid normal rates I would have been disappointed. Bathrooms are great, I liked the city, the marble and granite, the water pressure in the shower was good. The tubs are not deep though, so don't expect a long comfortable soak. Mattress and Pillows are great. TV movies are $10.95, not worth it.
ROOM TIP:Ask for upper floor harborside because most city side views give you a view of a large building.
GYM: Nice. Clean. Small hallway shape. Rude receptionist, acted like I was bothering her by asking where cardio machines were located (my first time). Mostly men on business trips trying to maintain 55+ yr old bodies. Not an eye candy gym. Clean though, nice clean locker room.
RECEPTION/CONCIERGE: Friendly, Informative, Professional. Best part of experience.
LOCATION: BAD unless you are attending conference at the World Trade Center, which is attached. City is so close, but yet so far, no public transportation so you either walk 30 minutes to attractions or you call a cab because they don't stay in the area for long. Only good walking distance resturant is Anthony's Pier = seafood is great.
ROOM SERVICE: Room service is $26 for a 10" cheese pizza (after fees and tax) so call Domino's - they deliver right to your room. Resturant in the hotel lacks ambiance. Food is overpriced but okay to the palette. Gift shop, lobby, bar, lobby, bake shop are all very nice but very "business" class feeling - nothing really special or exclusive.
CLEANLINESS: Five Stars. No hairs in tub or on floor or sink which is rare in frequently visited hotels. The room sparkled, which to me, matters immensely.
Would I stay again? Yes if I were attending a trade show, NO if I were there to hang out in Boston because the location totally -----.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member