“Nice hotel, location not ideal for a vacation”

Seaport Boston Hotel
Ranked #5 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 31, 2004

First off I must state that I do not travel often, and thus do not stay in hotels very often. I chose the Seaport because after reading various reviews for other Boston hotels, some of which weren't great, I chose Seaport for the good reviews I had read about it, and because the price wasn't too over the top.

I'll start with what I liked about the hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and they answered every question I had to my satisfaction. Check in and out were quick, baggage was delivered to the room promptly, and picked up within 5 minutes of my call to the front desk upon departure. They even gave my 1 year old daughter a little teddy bear while we were checking in. They supplied us with brochures and driving directions for things my family wanted to do outside of the city. As far as staff goes, I would rate the Seaport top notch.

The computers in the lobby with high speed net access were nice when I wanted to check my email. The free USA Today paper weekday mornings was a nice surprise that I did not know about.

About the room. It was very clean, but other than that was nothing special. There were enough draws and closet space for 2 adults and 1 child for our 5 day stay. Upon arrival, the crib, refrigerator, and microwave we requested were already there in the room. The view from the room was nothing amazing. Very deceiving is the main picture that most travel sites use for the Seaport. It looks as if the building is free standing on the water with nothing around it. Well either that picture is old or has been edited, because there are buildings as tall or taller on either side of it, which cuts down on the view dramatically. The bed in the room was also rather uncomfortable. The bathroom was nice with the marble tile and counters, but the water pressure for taking a shower was awful. The toilet was also very noisy when flushing, which wasn't fun with a baby sleeping in the room if you know what I mean!

We did not use the gym or the pool at all, so I cannot really review them. I had wanted to use the pool, but again the pictures you see online are a bit deceiving, as the pool is much smaller that it appears, so with all the kids in there I decided against it.

The restaurant sure smelled great every time we walked past it. I heard good things about it, so we decided to have breakfast there one morning. The food was nothing special, all the basics, pancakes, eggs, bacon, cereal, etc. For $42 for that, for 2 people, needless to say it was the first and last time we ate there.

Parking for the hotel is in a public lot below the building. It is $25 a day for self park, or $35 for valet. I opted for self park, which was fine, but depending on the time you go to park, you may have a decent walk to an elevator since it fills up at times. There are outdoor lots right down the block that signs said were $7 or $8, so they might be worth looking into to save some money.

There is a lot of construction going on in Boston right now, and a LOT of it is in the area around the Seaport. While they claim the hotel is in walking distance of things like the aquarium and Quincy Market, unless you feel like walking past noisy and dusty areas, you wont be walking too many places around the hotel. All is not lost though, since free shuttles run all day from just outside the hotel into a few spots more centrally located in the city, up until midnight. They don't run on weekends though which kinda stinks.

Overall I guess I would recommend the hotel. It was a pleasant stay other than the few minor gripes I listed. The surroundings are basically out of the hotel's control, but it would be nice if they informed of such things.

5  Thank rayjj71
Write a ReviewReviews (5,005)

HUNKER, PA
Reviewed August 24, 2004

My husband, son, and I went to Boston the first week of August, 2004. We were very impressed with this hotel. The staff was courtious and very helpful. The location was close enough to the Boston Aquarium and Quincy Market that we were able to walk from there to the hotel. The rooms were very nice and quiet. The lap pool was a pleasant way to relax and cool off. My son, age 10, thought the pool was the best part. There was a variety of restaurants within walking distance, many of them right on the water. If we return to Boston, we would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member