“Central, Convenient & Helpful”

Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall
Ranked #49 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel when traveling around the States on a trip with friends and family. This hotel is very centrally located to Faneuil Hall and many of the attractions you would want to see in historic Boston. The hotel is very conveniently located to restaurants, the harbour and only a short taxi ride to Logan Airport. We travelled up via Amtrak from New York and the walk from the station was very easily done in 15 minutes.

The rooms are well appointed, but we did notice big variations in size of the rooms even though the same type of room was booked. So if your room is small, just ask. However there wasn't much of a view. We still found the rooms very comfortable, quiet and well cleaned. Also to note the staff were very helpful and I think my mum is now in love with the Valet for the way he whistles for the Taxi's.

Finally we loved the hotel restaurant. In the evenings there is VERY GOOD live music there. We would have been happy to pay to go and see these people, so we went for drinks both nights that we stayed there.

All in all, I do recommend this hotel. Very good if you are wanting to see historic Boston and sample some of Boston's famous Maine Lobster and Clam Chowder.

Room Tip: If your room is small, ask for a bigger one!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Twofriendsoftravel

Reviewed July 8, 2014

My husband, my father, my sister, my in-laws and other members of our wedding party and wedding guests from out of town, as well as myself began our stay at your hotel on Friday, June 27. We had also booked our rehearsal dinner through Brunna Henrique to be held in the Washington Room that night.

My husband and I were very excited to have blocked rooms at your hotel due to it being a beautiful hotel, with competitive, fair prices in close proximity to the State Room, our wedding venue. Our ideal wedding day ended with a walk back, circled by our loved ones, to our hotel in our favorite city in the world. We were even more thrilled when we heard my in-laws were going to book the rehearsal dinner there.

I must say we were very disappointed in our stay at this hotel. As someone who works in the hospitality industry I was surprised at the neglect of detail in our rehearsal dinner planning and the requests Brunna had asked for. I was also surprised as to the issues we had with the room reserved as the bridal suite.

Prior to arrival, as well as during the meal planning of the rehearsal dinner, myself and my father-in-law made sure to note that there were to be no raspberries or nuts anywhere at dinner as the Maid of Honor (my sister) is allergic to raspberries and the Best Man (my husband's best friend since childhood) is allergic to all nuts. We were horrified to learn that the dessert was covered in almonds that had not been removed before being set out with the other desserts. Thankfully the Best Man did not go into anaphylaxis shock! An apology was not issued to my in-laws when this was pointed out only the fact that they would not be charged for the warm Miller Lite beer that was overlooked on the BEO and not delivered to rehearsal dinner until after we arrived. My in-laws and I were both insulted by this. We thought this would be the last issue we had until the next day arrived.

During the day, while my bridesmaids, my mother-in-law and I were getting ready, the air conditioner began to malfunction and it became very warm in the sitting area of the suite. Maintenance did come and repair it, however the air-conditioner broke again in the bedroom over night when my husband and I returned from our wedding. We both woke up in a puddle of our own sweat very early in the morning.

Speaking of returning to our suite after the wedding, when we returned ready for bed we entered in to a dirty room. It was quite apparent the room was not attended to by housekeeping but someone had entered our room to leave Mr. and Mrs. bathrobes my mother and father-in-law had purchased as a surprise for us. Prior to arrival, as a request, I asked Brunna to make sure when we left at 4:30pm for pictures someone come clean the room. I also called down to the front desk and one of my bridesmaids stopped at the front desk making sure someone would be up to tidy up the room. I personally took off the do not disturb sign, leaving it on the table. I know that it wasn't on the door because had it been no one would have entered the room to leave the bathrobes. Mr husband and I went down to the front desk, in my wedding dress and my husband in his wedding suit. The overnight desk attendant said that we could not be moved because the hotel was sold out and no one was on to clean our room. I said that the room needs to be cleaned by someone then if we cannot be moved. An hour later, at 3am, my husband and I were finally allowed back into a cleaner room.

The next morning during checkout I spoke with Edison Griffin-Barth about our experience and displeasure at the Hilton. We felt our concerns were not heard and he had limited empathy. We felt extremely insulted we were only credited back our parking for two nights.

I do not normally like to complain but I felt with this many issues arising during one stay my voice needed to be heard.

I would like to mention this, the BEST encounters we had at your hotel was with Barry, your bellman, and one of the cooks at Nix's Mate. I regret that I forget his name but he wears a black hat with Boston written in white across it. Both of these gentlemen greeted every person with a smile, a "How are you today?" "Can I do anything for you?" "How's your stay going?" THAT is hospitality. Those are two key players who deserve recognition and two people your other employees can and should look to as an example.

1  Thank Meg B
Brian_D_Martens, Manager at Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Dear Meg B,

I am very sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are sorry we let the ball drop. We are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience, and we can assure you we have made immediate adjustments to prevent a reoccurrence. I am very grateful that we have been able to communicate directly with you to demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction. Our team is dedicated to ensuring all our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we hope you will consider giving us another chance.

Brian Martens
Hotel Manager
bmartens@hiltonbostondowntown.com

Reviewed July 8, 2014

I was slightly skeptical about this hotel after reading some of the reviews. I found the hotel to be clean, comfortable and welcoming. The staff was friendly and attentive. The hotel offers a 24 hour gym which was very big and offered a wide range of equipment. My room was comfortable with a more than adequate A/C system. While Quincy Market, Faneuil Hall and the North End are within walking distance just about every restaurant and coffee shop in the immediately 2 blocks of the hotel was closed on the weekend. For a full service hotel the breakfast was NO service. The hotel offers a continental breakfast buffet or a hot buffet for an additional cost. Everything is self serve including the coffee. In fact you can just walk in and sit down without even speaking to a "hostess" On one day I observed the "hostess" spending more time playing with her cell phone than doing anything else. I am not sure if they offer the option to order off a menu because I was never offered one.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank diamondHH
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed at this hotel June 21-23. It was in the perfect location for walking to Quincy Market, Faneuil Hall, the waterfront and just about everything else you would want to do. It was also just a block away from where you can catch the tourist trolleys that take you all over the city - I definitely recommend taking these. We got a deluxe room with a nice view after reading other reviews. I read that some rooms windows look out to walls of other buildings and we didn't want that. Room was a decent size for downtown hotel. The room had a king size bed with a desk and chair and a flat screen tv and plenty of room. It had two big windows looking down at the street. The air conditioning could have been better but we managed to keep it cool by keeping the drapes closed when we were gone in the day. The toilet and shower were in a room with a door and the sink was just outside the door and I like this layout. The shower head was huge and had great water pressure and soft water. The only negative was that we had a car and it cost a lot to park it. We found a garage a block or two away that was a little cheaper than the hotel parking but still very expensive. And we never used the car. The hotel had a restaurant and a gym which we never used. The gym was pretty nice - lots of machines and weights.This was my first time in Boston and it was such a fantastic city to visit. Its a big city with a small town feel, not what I expected at all. So much history and things to see and do. Next time I am in Boston I would definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Our deluxe room with a view was perfect
1  Thank Jennifer M
Reviewed July 7, 2014

If you are visiting Boston this location is wonderful. A few blocks one direction is Fanuel Hall, and a few in the other direction is the waterfront. You will also be within walking distance to the North End with lovely places to eat.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Beautiful hotel- spacious rooms, very clean and very convenient to just about anything in the Boston area. We walked to Faneuil Hall; the Aquarium; Little Italy; Chinatown and other surrounding points of interest.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We've stayed at this hotel both times we visited Boston. The location is fabulous and the employees really go out of their way to help you with whatever they can. John McKinnon was great with helping us with our room reservations and making sure everything was in place before we ever stepped foot into the hotel! There was never an issue with any of our stays and the valet/doormen are funny and extremely willing to help! Chris O'Brian was our favorite! We definitely plan on coming back and this is the hotel we'd choose every time. Couldn't ask for a better value and friendlier people.

• Stayed: July 2014