“For the Price - Not worth it!!!”

Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall
Ranked #50 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, United States
“For the Price - Not worth it!!!”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

The carpet was spotted and groungy looking. The furnishings appeared worn. The smell was less than "clean." The bathroom wall tile was cracked around the tub/shower. Discoloration seemed to be occuring in between the shower tile, as well.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

3 Thank Nathan M
Brian_D_Martens, Manager at Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us. We appreciate your honest input and apologize you were disappointed in the comfort and appointment of your guestroom. While your room should always be clean and well maintained, we are in the middle of major project to change the carpeting and add other improvements to all our guestrooms. We will use your comments to guide us as revisit all our rooms prior to year end. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to quality hospitality.
bmartens@hiltonbostondowntown.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Korean first
London, UK
Reviewed October 31, 2013

First up, I'm going to caveat this review. I travel A LOT for work, mostly to the Middle East where the hotel rooms are all new and absolutely huge. This has totally warped my views of hotels, but there you go! Also, on this occasion I booked my hotel room on air miles. This pretty much always means you get one of the smaller/less good rooms. I was free, so I can't complain too much, but it does mean I can't vouch for the kind of room I might have got if I'd booked through my corporate travel agent!

OK. On to the real stuff.

I had a room with one king bed, and it wasn't big at all - I was glad it was just me! I suspect the twin rooms are much bigger, just to fit the beds in if nothing else. The wardrobe door was rather shabby, and had holes in where it'd been opened into the security lock of the door to the room. Not particularly what I'd expect from a Hilton - I'd normally expect them to be more on top of the maintenance. But otherwise the room was in good condition, the air con worked (and even showed C as well as F - BRILLIANT for those of us of the metric persuasion), and the bathroom was nice and clean with enough amenities (although shower gel would have been nice - I'm not really a soap girl for some reason). My room was in one of the indentations you can see on the front of the hotel, so it didn't get a lot of daylight. But really I was only using it to sleep in, so that wasn't particularly an issue.

The only staff I really interacted with was the doorman who sorts out taxis, and he was great. Managed to find me a big cab at 8am on a Saturday and knew exactly where I wanted to go from my flaky description!

The big selling point of this hotel for me was the location - close to the blue line for easy access to the airport (2 stops from Aquarium), close to lots of other T lines, close to Quincy Market for lots of food options in a solo traveller-friendly environment, close to the Freedom Trail for sightseeing. It's also a nice quiet area as it's predominantly businesses which makes things nice and relaxed in the evening and at weekends.

I'd stay again just for the location, but would definitely book a twin room to get the room size.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I'm delighted that your room was comfortable and our doorman was able to expertly get you to your destination in the city. Thank you for the honest feedback on the room condition. We sincerley appreciate the reminder to be more vigilant correcting issues caused when furnishings in the room collide. We look forward to your next trip to Boston.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed here for three nights just this past week and got off to a rough start but doorman made up for it. First off, front desk clerk was clueless and not professional. I called the night before to ask for an early check in as my flight landed at 11AM. I was told they would see what they could do but it wasn't guaranteed. When I arrived I was told that an oversized room (which I had reserved) wasn't ready but I could downgrade to be put into a room immediately. This is the first time I have ever, ever been asked if I wanted to downgrade - I mean really, I'm going to pay more for a lesser room?!?!?! C'mon! So I told the clerk I would wait but I left my number to have her call me when a room was ready. I never got a call and when I went back to the hotel after lunch my room was ready - she just forgot to call me.

Anyway, the hotel is in a great location, the room was nicely appointed, great towels and pillows, nice big TV, really comfortable bed, nice amenities. However, it's loud. You can hear all the street traffic and I was on the 11th floor. Sirens, trucks, dumpsters being emptied, everything. If you are a light sleeper you're not going to get a good nights sleep here at all. Also, the "high speed" wireless internet was anything but. Don't expect great wireless - if you have to get any sort of work done that requires a dependable connection you'll be sitting at the desk using the wired connection.

Finally the last issue is it takes FOREVER to get a car out of valet. it tells you right on the ticket allow for at least 30 minutes but quite honestly it was closer to 40 minutes.

On the bright side, the doorman (wish I could remember his name) was the bright spot of the stay. Super informative, polite, funny, just a great guy all around.

Room Tip: According to the doorman choose a room that faces Broad street
1 Thank Elizabeth P
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to comment on your stay. Thank you for the wonderful comment on our doorman - we will be sure to share this with the entire team. I appreciate the honest feedback regarding the service and amenities. I'm very sorry for your experience at the front desk, and we will review with our team how we clearly missed an opportunity to get your stay off to a better start. I am surprised to hear noise was such a concern on the 11th floor - I do wonder if we we had a problem with the window seals in your room and we will check that right away. We also did significantly upgrade our wireless Internet just days after your stay. We more than doubled the number of access points serving our guest rooms (and they are a newer generation) and increased our bandwidth tenfold. I'm sorry we didn't have that in place during your stay, but hope we will get the chance to share it with on your next trip to Boston.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My two important factors for a business trip are a quiet room and good Wi-Fi. The room was big and the condition was good, not great and it definitely could use some updating since it's a bit dark and dated. The room service food tasted great, although I can never understand the service charges in hotels ($8 here, $4 other places, $12 somewhere else). My interaction with the staff was mixed - I called to ask for a toothbrush and toothpaste, but no one brought anything up on the first call. The second call, someone came up in 5 minutes with toothpaste and a regular toothbrush, which is a rarity.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Started badly with the woman at reception rattling off instructions like a machine and us a number, no friendliness at all. At other times staff were more pleasant though.
The room was old but very comfortable with lovely pillows and the bathroom pleasant with fluffy towels but the phone didn't work and when mentioned they said that often happened. The air conditioning was noisy also.

The bar area was so noisy and crowded one could not hear anyone speak.

I was on an upmarket tour and the breakfast and choices here was very average, the worst on the whole 2week tour. The way it was laid out along the bar caused huge queues and the lady doing omelettes was very sour. The coffee was cold and when politely asking for a hot replacement was given one very ungraciously.

Obviously the location is fantastic and it seems tours use this hotel so it is often full so I suppose they don't need to bother to fix anything. However I will be very wary of staying at another Hilton.

Room Tip: There are no views from any room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank franky126
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to comment on your stay. I'm very disheartened to hear about your experience at the front desk. I will send you a direct message in the hopes of getting more information. I'm sorry to hear about your impression of the hotel and hope we can correspond more. We do certainly take a great deal of pride in our hotel and are continually investing in improvements. In the last few months of 2013 alone, we will complete a brand new fitness center, a completely new wireless Internet infrastructure, and make significant improvements in all our rooms including new carpet, furnishings and in-room safes. We do hope we can continue to be your hotel of choice in Boston.
Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We chose to stay here as we didn't feel like having the long commute home after the Bruins game. We arrived right around check-in time, and was greated by a not very personable front desk. No mention of any amenities or the like. She didn't even state the room number, just gave us our room keys and said we're on the 5th floor. I realize that we're staying here only for a night, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't receive the same service and respect as individuals staying here for business or for a longer stay.

The 5th floor was desolate. For a hotel that we kept hearing was booked up for the weekend, there certainly was nobody on this floor. The room was nice, but not spectacular. As I had seen in many of the reviews, the room was small with little space between all of the furniture. One of the redeeming factors was the giant TV at the end of the bed, which was perfect to catch the ending of the Red Sox game on after the Bruins.

Some of the wallpaper was starting to peel behind the entry door. The bathroom was missing the lock from the doorknob, and even more, there were two different knobs on the door... just a bit odd. The only other piece that was off about the room was that the showerhead was pulled a good 2-3 inches out of the wall, so you could essentially see in the wall behind it.

This certainly wasn't a cheap stay, even with a AAA discount. But for lack of cheaper/nice hotels in the area, I probably would stay here again if only for convenience to TD Garden, the T, and the quietness of the area since it is the start of the financial district. Part of this also is my preference for Hilton brand; however, with that being said I can't say I would recommend this hotel to friends, family, or colleagues.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NeviTales
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I’ve been sleeping in Hiltons for longer than I remember. Lately, I can no longer bring myself to like the big “H” no matter what part of the country it is in. Take the Boston Hilton Downtown Faneuil Hall: worn off towels and carpets, one bathrobe in a room for two, no comfortable table for two people to sit and exchange ideas or play cards or whatever. Minimalist décor, not a sign of something to write with by the phones in the corridor, Reception Desk “in training”, small rooms, bed facing toilet, this is just the short list of my dislikes. I recently red that Hilton is abandoning room service, go figure! And what’s with the $15/day for Internet: I could never figure this out: sleep in any lower end Hilton property, like Hampton Inn and get free breakfast and Internet access at a fraction of the price in a Hilton or Double tree. At $400+, lowest cost of admission in Hilton, one expects more. Time to permanently change my sleeping preferences.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room looking at the interior yard
2 Thank Oliver S