“Weird hotel in a great location”

Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall
Ranked #49 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This Hilton is very conveniently located within walking distance of Quincy Market, Faneuil Hall and the Financial District. The lobby decor is nice. We had a suite that was... odd.

When we first went into the room all the curtains were closed and the AC was off so the room was totally dark as well as dank. Very creepy and not a great first impression. Once we fumbled for the lights and got the AC going it was OK and the mustiness was gone within about an hour. The decor has been updated but it still felt dated.

The sitting area of our "suite" only had two shallow stiff chairs that sat about two feet away from the walls. There was no sofa or love seat despite the vast amounts of empty space. Neither of the chairs were comfortable enough to sit in to dine, watch TV, use for a conference call, etc. That made the front room essentially useless. The bathroom was in between the bedroom and sitting room but because the door was set back where the shower and toilet were it made the vanity area feel like it was in the hallway.

The room itself seemed like it was carved out of an odd corner of the building. I really didn't like it - until the evening when we saw the view of the Custom House. Pretty spectacular. That made all the quirkiness worth it. Not sure it was worth the 65k Hilton points we burned to stay there but at least it was clean. I'd consider it again if the price was right but would skip the suite.

Room Tip: Avoid the suites but ask for a room with a view of the Custom House
2  Thank KJS35
There are newer reviews for Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall

Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is a nice hotel in a great location. The staff is very friendly, the rooms clean and well-appointed. The bathroom floor is so clean it's slippery. Every time I step on it I slide! I have almost fallen several times.

One thing to note-your wireless code will not work in the fitness center. Stop by the desk and get the correct code if you want wifi during your workout.

As with every Hilton property, I had to request firmer pillows, which they are happy to accommodate.

My only disappointment is that there is no in-room safe. This is something I rely on when I travel and I am disappointed when a hotel of this calibre fails to supply this small amenity that means so much for the safety of a guest's valuables. Especially in this age of expensive technology. I would think they would offer it just to protect themselves from accusations against their staff.

Also, when my husband made the reservation, he chose this property because the website said they have an airport shuttle. They do not offer this service. Mwhether he was mistaken or something changes, I have no idea. Not a deal breaker, just know this service is not offered here.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2013

The Hilton Boston Downtown is the type of property that is difficult to rate. On one hand, it’s attractive, comfortable, well-managed and features many amenities. On the other hand, it can be breathtakingly expensive, which makes it hard for you to feel you’re truly getting your money’s worth.

The hotel itself is conveniently located in the downtown financial district, close to numerous bars and restaurants, and not far from both Faneuil Hall and the Government Center. It doesn’t initially look like much from the outside, but once you’re met by one of the gregarious doormen and enter the building you’ll find a small but well-appointed lobby. The front desk staff is courteous and efficient; there is also a concierge located near the front desk.

My room was very spacious, with upscale furniture and fixtures, functional work area, large flat screen HDTV, comfortable beds, plenty of storage area and thick towels in the bathroom.

For those of you who are accustomed to staying at moderately-priced hotels with complimentary breakfast and free wifi, you’ll be probably shocked at the price you’ll have to pay for the continental breakfast buffet and the hotel Internet connection.

In all fairness, downtown Boston is much like Manhattan in that it’s really difficult to find any accommodations with reasonable prices, and there are other hotels nearby that are even more expensive. Given that fact and combining it with the hotel’s location and the caliber of its operation, I can recommend this property.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights this week. Like most of the other reviews everything was great. I just also wanted to mention that Cait at the front desk was exceptional. I had mentioned to her that we were celebrating my husband's 60th birthday and hopefully we could get a nice room. Not only did she do that she also had a little something sent to our room. What a nice added touch!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed 3 nights at this hotel in early September and enjoyed our stay. Our booking thru Hotels.com worked well and we had a very reasonable rate. We selected the hotel for its location, price, and brand recognition. The hotel is a typical Hilton, with the typical rooms, amenities, and services. Foremost this hotel is in a wonderful location for visiting Boston's downtown, wharf area, the North End and local historical sites. We easily walked to all our destinations from our hotel. There are a plethora of good restaurants within easy walking distance. As other reviewers have noted, the beds are very soft, the air conditioning is marginal and the breakfast buffet is typical Hilton expensive, but lacking the usual Hilton variety. The staff was attentive and helpful, especially the doormen who are ever present. Our room was very quiet (room 1403), and while it was rather small, it was clean and everything worked well. I highly recommend this hotel.

1  Thank Ronald K
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed in the Hilton Boston Downtown for two nights on my recent trip to Boston. I booked it due to its location, which truly is awesome - short walk to the North End, Faneuil Hall, water front, restaurants, etc. But for the price, I really expected more. Our room was tiny and in poor condition. There was water damage and what might have been mold along the wall near the bathroom, leaky faucet, toilet with issues, and the finishes were generally outdated. The staff was perfectly nice based on my limited interactions with them, but the room was just not what I'd expected for paying $200+ per night.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lauren M
Reviewed September 11, 2013

First time traveling to Boston and I was unsure of where to stay. This was a last minute pick and I am glad I made this choice. Although the rooms were small I did not spend much time in it.. Too much to do in this city. But the location was perfect. Short walking distance to Quincy Market and the Harbor.. The staff was very helpful, and always smiled. Would definitely go back to this hotel. And the Bed "Very" comfortable

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts