“Service levels great, but it's time to refresh the soft goods”

Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall
Ranked #49 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Miami, Florida
“Service levels great, but it's time to refresh the soft goods”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Back again this year, just in time for the blizzard. Front Desk and hotel staff great!!! Carpet in the rooms looking worn. Otherwise they finished the outside building maintenance since last year. The ugly self serve coffee bar monstrosity off the Front Desk seems to be dieing off quietly. The "new" restaurant.... Nix Mate. Oh well, another disappointing Hilton F&B attempt at breakfast. The cold line was just that. half frozen bagels, ice cold pastries, and the vat of fruit cocktail, unceremoniously strewn on a banquet table in an alcove. The up-charges for anything else was higher than the quality they delivered. The non seasoned made to order omelet was dwarfed on a naked 8 inch cold plate. See my reviews on Rosemont and San Fran about their breakfast successes, it's possible. As for Boston there is always hope for next year...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Korean first
Boston
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed at the Hilton Boston Financial District for two nights in February. Check in agent was very friendly and engaging. Hotel has a nice lobby and a beautiful library. On my way to the room, saw a couple of room attendants who greeted me with a smile and asked if I needed any assistance. The room was very large and clean. The location of this hotel could not be any better - it is within walking distance to all major attractions in the city. The restaurant, Nix's Mate has a great menu - I had salmon over white beans which was delicious. Would highly recommend this property.

1 Thank EdddieEddie
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I checked in the hotel on 02/05 at about 5pm. On checking in I found the room to be unsually cold..I crancked up the thermostat from 70 to 75 degrees, still no change.. Cranked it up to 90 degrees.. No effect. I made 2 calls to the front desk and after an hour and and half the techinician came and tried to fix the issue. I waited for a couple of more hours and called for help again. Finally at about 10.30 pm I was moved to a new new on the 15th floor. It was slightly warmer but to my surprise the thermostat in that room was turned up all the way to 90 degrees also. I felt the room getting colder and colder all the night. I was honestlt too tired and feed up complaining.

Couple of other points of concern:

When I was checking in I requested the front desk if they had a room with a king bed.. I had originally booked a room with 2 queens. The person at the front desk declined my request on grounds that the hotel was completely booked and room rooms very available. The surprising part was when I was moved the room at 10.30.. I was shown two rooms to choose from by the hotel staff and both were with King Beds.. Not sure if I was being lied upon check in.. BTW I am also a Hilton Honors Gold Member which does get me upgrades if rooms are available..

The Icing on the cake: Since i had to leave early I did not get an opportunity to convey my frustrations of the night before to anyone at the hotel. After my meeting at noon, I decided to call the manager of the hotel and express my issues. I was surely connected to him, but his voicemail said the he was out of office till December 29th.. I think the problem is top down.. The manger has not changed his out of office voicemail for a month and a half.... Get your act togther.. I did that at my job I would be fired by now..

I have a lot of pleasant experiences staying at Hilton properties across the country and would not prevent from staying in future,, I guess this was sour grape from the bunch..

1 Thank Nirmalya M
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

This property was a great value. Staff very helpful. Neighborhood looks a bit undesirable, but it was fine. It is just a short walk to Boston Common. Easy to get to Copley Mall via subway or taxi. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013
arcadia, california, usa
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The staff was extremely helpful from the bellman who greeted us at the door during very cold weather, to the front desk and wait staff. To a person, all were positive in accommodating our needs. We found the concierge services of great assistance as we were touring. The room was well equipped and clean. The bed could have been a bit firmer, but all in all, we found this to be a very good experience. We would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends.

Room Tip: As we left and returned, we had two rooms at the higher levels which contributed to the ambience of...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I have family in the Boston area and I love going to the North End when I visit before heading south. I've stayed there over 10 times over the last 6 years and most recently in December before seeing family just south. I've alternated between this hotel and the Marriott Long Warf and I prefer this hotel. The rooms are compact but well equiped with all the modern needs. It's always immaculate. The conceirge has always been great and they always remember the name of the barber I usually go to in the North End before visiting family. I would highly recommend this hotel if you need to stay in Boston. And, it's an easy walk to the great food in the North End and places to eat.

Details: Terrazo tile bathrooms, nice towels (please put a towel hook on the back of the bathroom door!!), nice toiletries, beds and pillows are great. Again, the rooms are a little small, but they have everything you'll need.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on floor 4 or above. The ones facing broad street have a nice view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed in a suite in this hotel while on a trip to the area to visit relatives during the Christmas Holidays. As a Hilton Gold member, we often stay in Hilton or sister-branded hotels. This one, however, doesn't rise to the standards of a Hilton Hotel. We had to ask for a change in rooms when one of the (noisy, single pane) windows would not close and so admitted unchecked street noise and cold, wet winter weather into the suite. We had a maid enter our room without knocking at 8 a.m. one morning, saying she was 'just checking' (what, we would like to know?). The two-room suite inexplicably had the desk located in the bedroom, so when I had to rise early to attend to business while trying not to disturb my sleeping wife, I had to balance my papers and laptop on the coffee table from the sofa in the suite's sitting room. The buffet breakfast was very poor (it is better at sister Hampton Inns or Hilton Inns), so we threw away our coupons after day one and went to a place across the street to get breakfast burritos. We enjoyed downtown Boston and nearby attractions and restaurants, but we will not return to this particular Hilton (ex-Wyndham) Hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure the windows actually latch to shut out noise and weather...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple