“Very Average - Nice Lobby, Lobby Bar, and Staff”

Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall
Ranked #48 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 29, 2012

This hotel is very average in all aspects and below average in room quality. It is saved by the restaurant bar and the staff.

The staff were very pleasant and do a great job. From check in to the front door I always felt they were working hard to help me enjoy a trip to Boston.I give the staff a solid 4 star rating. The restaurant in the lobby was great. It was a solid place with great food, great staff, and even better prices for a hotel bar(5.50 for a beer).

The room was nice, standard 3 star with issues that would have turned anything more than a two night stay into a nightmare. See below:

1. Shower in 1 bedroom suite did not drain, simply nothing. I tried and it was obvious it was not a setting on the drain but a clog.
2. Kitchen sink in the room also did not drain whatsoever.
3. Coffee maker made one cup of coffee and then stopped working.
4. Room furnishings were really at or below a 3 star chain.
5: Doors, carpet, walls, all show extreme wear.(Please see pictures of "Wong: The Asian Brad Pitt" which was still stuck to the back of our bedroom door. Apparently a bachelor party was held in the room?

That being said the hotel tries and its solid for a few nights. I wouldn't recommend this for anyone but a single/couple of easy travelers who will be in and out. If i was a competitor hotel id pick off the staff here and really put Hilton in a bind.

Room Tip: High floor anything under 10 would probably be loud.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,070)

Reviewed December 28, 2012

My experience at the hotel was made much better, because of Barry, the Concierge. Very professional, but most importantly KNOWLEDGEABLE. He knew where to eat;where to go.
If i could rate him it would be 10 with 9 being the highest. Excellent model for all concierges (doormen)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 23, 2012

When I booked it I told the agent we had two teens. We got to our room and the beds were tiny. We ordered a roll away bed for our son and they charged us an extra $30. After staying at Hyatts for so long I'm surprised at the charge. Not impressed with hotel overall. The location was the only good thing.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I am a Hilton Gold Member and almost always stay in a Hilton when travelling for business.

Pluses to this hotel: Great location in heart of financial district so didn't need a cab to get to my meetings. Walking distance to the Wharf and Quincy Square. Because of my HHoners status, i was upgraded to a one bedroom suite, which was very clean and well furnished, and spacious. Staff were very helpful and friendly.

The negative: I couldn't sleep. I was on 8th floor on the Broad street side. There is a nightclub directly across the street that was active until 2:00 in the morning on both Sunday and Monday night with people outside talking and sometimes yelling. There is also a nightclub in the bottom of the Hilton directly below my room. The windows in the building are not soundproof so I could actually here loud conversations from the street. Windows also had cold air coming through them, although the HVAC system in this room kept the room at a comfortable temp, and was almost silent. I guess that is a positive as I have had some pretty loud HVAC systems in other Hiltons.

BEWARE: The garbage disposal trucks run at 2:00 in the morning on Monday nights. And because the windows are not very soudproof, they will wake you up.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We were in town for a party and as Hilton Gold members, were upgraded to a suite. We have stayed here before and were much happier with the larger room. The decor was a bit strange, though, basically the entire (very spacious) suite was completely bare except for three small pieces of art (one very small mixed media piece-probably no bigger than 10 x 15-in the living room, and two average-maybe 12 x 20-black and white photos in the living room.) It was strange to be in two very large rooms with so much beige wall space. It just felt unfinished. Lots of nice windows and several that opened, though. Lots of space to get ready for the party and two very nice mirrors.

We did opt for the continental breakfast (there was also an option to take Hilton Honors points instead of the breakfast) in the hotel restaurant the next day, and it was not great. I just wanted a bowl of cereal but the milk dispensers gave me a big bowl of warm milk. I went back for a small croissant (which was below average) and some fruit (which was ok, nothing special). In retrospect, we should have taken the points and spent $10 on breakfast at Bruegger's.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband, children and I went to the Celtics game, November 23rd. We chose Hilton again becuase of our experience the previous year when we went to TD Garden to see Disney on Ice. From easy check in/out, to the hotel's cleaniness to Eddie, The Bellman. I should also mention the price was very affordable. Did I mention how great Eddie was. Very attentive to our needs, but yet seemed natural and effortless to keep a great attitude. Great family hotel! We will be back

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 11, 2012

A good hotel for the money,location is good. The staff is terrific weary helpful and pleasant. The room we got was nice, clean larger then we expected. I can with out hesitation recommend this hotel to others, based on my experience.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple