“Great just not perfect”

Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall
Ranked #49 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 25, 2012

good location. 10-15min walk to conv center or World Trade Center.
10 min walk to children's museum if with kids.

Great HH gold benefits. We were given a suite. I overheard a platinum getting a 2 br suite.
Slow elevators for some reason, housekeeping who was knocking to clean the room at 9:45am during my checkout day, I was on a conf call, so my colleagues on the call was making fun of me (who was the lady knocking on your door?) I had 2pm late checkout. I figure why would you want to clean my room the morning of my checkout day?

Room was very cold as it is an old building with central air and heat was not yet on. Best solution was turn off air and wait, or they will bring a space heater. We did not need space heater, but it was 60-65 in the room for sure.

No lounge, breakfast in Nix Mate restaurant. Not really good offering. The little Hilton in Providence provides much better breakfast for example.

Oh, typical Boston, it was expensive... $295+tax +$41 valet only parking with in/out privileges...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed October 23, 2012

This hotel is in a great location. Really near the heart of Boston’s downtown. We stayed in their king suite over the three day weekend. The king suite was roomy, clean, and well maintained.
The nice points of this place:
1. Great Location: It is in the middle of everything. So you can walk to just about anything and the fantastic service! The hotel was only a short walk from the Boston Aquarium and Faneuil Hall, which has a variety of places to eat and shopping. Easy access to the T stop from government center.
2. Quincy market, Boston harbor, and great restaurants are within walking distance. AND it's very quiet in the night despite of its great location!
3. Several pubs and places to eat around within a block of the hotel which is always nice. This was nice since we got in late, and still had plenty of available places to eat after a flight.
4. The manager went out of his way to help make our stay comfortable.
5. The staff was very friendly and helpful.
6. The rooms were clean.
7. The bed was comfortable, as were the pillows.
8. Breakfast at Nix’s Mate was good and the scrambled eggs with potatoes were nice. However, the breakfast did fill up fast and there were frequent lines and longer waits when we chanced too late.
9. They have roll away bed available for children.
The Cons:
1. No swimming pool.
2. No room refrigerator, just a unit that keeps things chilled.
3. The bathroom grout could have been a bit cleaner.

Room Tip: I would suggest asking for an upgrade to a King suite or something similar. The rooms are a nice siz...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Brian_D_Martens, Manager at Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your feedback. We are delighted to share your positive comments on our team members with them. We are also glad to hear that our comfortable room and our location near Boston Harbor, Faneuil Hall and transportation helped you enjoy Boston. We also value the suggestions you made as we continually strive to improve, and we hope we will see you again soon.
Brian Martens
Director of Operations

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I usually stay at the Omni Parker House or the Ames when visiting central Boston. However, being a Hilton Hhonors Gold Member, I thought that I would give this Hilton a try and spent two nights in a King suite.

The good:

1. The staff were very friendly and helpful.
2. The rooms were clean.
3. The bed was comfortable, as were the pillows.
4. Location. Like the Parker House and the Ames, the Hilton is centrally located.

The bad:

1. No in room safes. For a Hilton, this is totally unacceptable. When I called down to ask where the in-room safe was, I was told that there weren't any because "there wasn't room for them". No room for them? Please .... my suite was quite large and there were at least half a dozen places where they could have installed an in-room safe.

2. The building is art deco and you get the feeling that they have tried to buy art deco style furniture for the rooms. In my opinion, it hasn't worked too well and the rooms appeared a bit cold.

3. I'm not a lush, but it's convenient to have a minibar in your room. It's certainly something that I would expect in a downtown Hilton. However, there wasn't one. Instead, there was a dirty looking empty fridge in the TV console, which wasn't working and which had a tired sticker on it saying something to the effect that it was more of a "chiller" and would not refrigerate properly.

4. Although Nix's Mate downstairs is a hip and cool looking bar/restaurant with decent food, it didn't seem right that this was the only offering in a downtown Hilton. It would have been nice to have had a slightly quieter (Nix Mate was very loud on the Saturday night), more dressy, place to eat as well.

I'm a fan of the Hilton chains, but this is one Hilton that I will probably not stay at again. For the money, it doesn't come close to comparing with the Omni Parkerhouse or the Ames in downtown Boston

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us in Boston. We appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were disappointed with the amenities in your guest room. We greatly value your feedback as a frequent traveler and we will take your suggestions for an in-room safe and a quieter dining option into consideration as we continually work to improve our on-property experience. We are glad to hear you found our location convenient and our staff friendly and hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.
Brian Martens
Director of Operations

Reviewed October 19, 2012

We drove into Boston on a New England sight seeing vacation. We did not need our car in Boston since this hotel is within a 10 minute walk to many of the sights. We paid $41/night for valet or they will recommend some nearby garages for self parking at $20/night. The included breakfast is a continental breakfast of fruit and bagels/muffins. The hotel staff service was very professional and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Karen Z
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Perfect hotel for visiting Boston since it's in the middle of everything. It was only a short 5 min walk from the water-taxi drop off at Boston Harbor. Also it's only a couple blocks from Faneuil Hall which is the heart of the Boston historic area, and also the marketplace with hundreds of shops and restaurants. We shared a suite with two other couples for the weekend, and it worked out great. There were 2 double beds, and a sleeper sofa.
Staff was excellent with great directions from the doormen, and the concierge letting us stow our bags after checkout, since we had a late flight.
Also, there are several great restaurants and pubs within a block of the hotel wich is always nice. One even had $1 oysters. yummy

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel for the fourth year running. Great place close to everything you want from downtown Boston.
I recommend speaking to jolene the concierge. Very helpful and made the trip worthwhile.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My friend and I stayed in their king suite over the weekend. Room was spacious (with nice sitting area) and clean. Our king size bed and pillows were super comfortable. We were especially impressed by their excellent service. Front desk and manager were super helpful and friendly. Fast room service. Each time we interacted with the staff they always had something wonderful to offer. The location of the hotel is perfect for tourists; Quincy market, Boston harbor, and great restaurants are within walking distance. AND it's very quiet in the night despite of its great location! My friend and I was very happy about our experience there and would stay in downtown Hilton again next time in Boston!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends