“No surprise”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Brussels, Belgium
“No surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

This Hilton has a very good central location. You can reach by foot the main points of interest of Boston.

For the rest, nothing particular to declare. The Hilton quality : professional staff, functional great rooms (one bedroom suite), ... Of course, no breakfast included. For free internet, you need to go in the lobby (it’s better than nothing).

In few words : quite good value for money, no surprise.

Breakfast tip : at 0,6 mile, the North Street Grill (229 North Street).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I had a great room and stay at this Hilton.

However, the thing that stood out to me the most was the service. As I was getting out of my cab, I noticed that my Blackberry was no longer in my pocket as the cab was driving off. However, Bobby (doorman) noticed my dillemma and literally ran the cab down 100 yards and got my Blackberry back. He said that he had seen that he just knew what the look on my face was about and he wanted to help. It's a great hotel run by service oriented employees in the heart of Boston.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Fryeburg Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

This hotel is not only beautiful but comfortable and all the employees are so nice and helpful. I had a great night stay. When I got there the valet man, Barry, was so kind to me and helped me with everything. Then I went across the street to the Vintage Lounge for dinner and drinks with my mother, it was delicious. We walked around downtown Boston chatting with everyone around, people were so nice. The mattresses and bedding were so comfy!! I def recommend this place!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Washington, DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

The hotel is very old and is not up to the standards of most Hilton hotels. The hallways had damaged wallpaper, my toilet did not work properly, the door to my room kept jamming, and there were other miscellaneous problems with the property and my room.

I was disappointed that diamond members don't get much perks here as I was not upgraded to a bigger room and there is no executive lounge onsite. The attached bar is pretty good and has many patrons on the weekends, but I found the staff to be unfriendly and inattentive both during drink service and at breakfast.

The location is okay but if you are staying in Boston on vacation, I would think the Backbay area would be much more desirable than the financial district. Finally when leaving, the poor doorman had a heck of time getting a cab for us at 8am on a Sunday morning (not sure if this normally is a problem).

Niagara Falls, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Hotel was under construction when we were there on Easter weekend so our view was plastic tarp and scaffolding. Restaurant was terrible for breakfast - service and food. All other staff were great! Location is terrific and great pubs and restaurants in walking distance.

Would stay again based on location and see if things are better with construction finished.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian_D_Martens, Manager at Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for commenting on your stay. Our exterior project, which is resetting the bricks on our 1928 landmark building (the first Art Deco building in Boston) is 95% complete. Going forward, there will never be a white plastic tarp covering any windows as you experieinced back in April. Also, our brand new restaurant, which opened about that time, has made major strides. We are quite proud of the menu and team. I'm excited to share your other compliment with the staff. We hope we will see you again soon.
Pacific Palisades, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is a great location near the Harbor and within easy walking to almost everything. The room was a bit small and the bed was saggy on one side. The bathroom was average size, and one of the faucets constantly leaked. We did like the view. Room 1418 has a connecting door to the next room so we could hear our neighbors talking. Fortunately it was only occupied for one of the nights we were there. There was road work on the Broad Street side of the Hilton so it was noisy especially in the morning.

Room Tip: Room 1418 is good because of the view looking East. The latch on one of the windows doesn't clo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I'm glad to hear that our team provided excellent service during check-in and that the hotel's locaiton perfectly met your needs. I'm sorry and concerned about the condition items you mention about your room. Thank you sincerely for bringing them to our attention so we may immediately address each item.
Eastern Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Price/location: We chose this hotel because we were going on a nighttime harbor cruise with friends and wanted to be within close walking distance of the wharf. We also didn't want to spend the outrageous waterfront hotel prices. We were fairly happy with the price we got (we used a AAA discount) compared to some other hotels we were considering, although for the price we thought it was very average. We were less than a 5 minute walk from the harbor, maybe 10 minutes to Faneuil Hall, so the location was super-convenient. However, the neighborhood was not very nice. Not sketchy or anything, but not very nice. We parked at the garage at 1 International Place, it cost us $9/day on the weekend, which was a way better deal than many of the other garages in the area, and walked over to the hotel (again, less than 5 minutes away).

Room: Our room was on the 6th floor and faced the interior courtyard full of air conditioning units, not a pretty view but it was MUCH quieter there than on the street side - on our way home the street was full of drunk people making tons of noise. So, it was a trade-off. You'll probably want to keep your curtains closed for privacy, since people on higher floors can see right into your room if the lights are on. The room was clean BUT there was a huge stain on the carpet, the lampshades were all cracked, one of our lamps didn't work, and I would not use the mugs provided with the coffee maker because it looked like they were just rinsed out in the sink after the last person used them (one actually still smelled of coffee). The towels were good, the toiletries were good, the water pressure was not. The bed was pretty comfortable.

Service: The person at the front desk was very friendly to us at check-in. We called down to request a sewing kit to fix my dress before we went out, but waited so long for it that we ended up leaving without it (it was delivered some time after we had already left). The waitstaff in the restaurant was friendly, although at one point I had waited so long for a refill on my coffee that I was just about ready to drink the creamer, I was so thirsty.

Food: We ate breakfast in the restaurant, and were very happy with it - I read some reviews that criticized the breakfast but we really enjoyed ours. We ordered off the menu and everything was hot and very tasty, and the fruit at the buffet looked very fresh. The food was definitely the highlight of our stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your detailed comments. I'm glad to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your breakfast in our new restaurant, the room cleanliness, and the service from our front desk team. I sincerely appreciate the additional points which are very valuable in our efforts to continuously improve. We hope we will have the opportunity to be of service to you again soon.