“Not bad, but not great, either...”

Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall
Ranked #49 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Manchester
“Not bad, but not great, either...”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I have to say that whilst there are some very nice things to say about this hotel, I also have a few gripes about my stay.

I found the staff, on the whole, to be helpful and friendly. Check in was a little perfunctory, but they were very busy, and desk staff at other times couldn't have been more helpful. Still, nonetheless, it's the little things that count.

The decor is fine and the old deco style a welcome change.

The room I had was a nice, spacious corner room with windows on two sides, giving a nicely different feel than the more typical clone-stamp box that you can get in downtown hotels sometime. I suspect that this is to do with the fact that the hotel is a conversion from an old deco building and, also, that as a Diamond HH member, I got a "space" upgrade (no executive floor).

On the whole, the room had all of the facilities I needed, although a refrigerator would have been a nice extra to have had. There was a space in a cupboard where it looks like one had been, at some time, but it was no longer.

The room was quiet, in the main, but there was a lot of intrusive noise from the corridor at times and, then, in the morning, there were workmen out on scaffolding outside the room, chatting and working with machine tools. Not so quiet, then. A lie in was out of the question, noise-wise.

I was not told this at check in.

For the time being, guests should be aware of renovation works on one side of the building and that this means you will have intrusive noise at work times. Not good.

Decor in the room was welcoming but the carpet wasn't in the greatest of conditions (some stains etc). Decor in the corridors etc was a little plain and "old".

Internet was OK, but not all that fast.

I found the application of the Honours Diamond on-property benefits to be a little "by the book" and I did not really appreciate being charged an $8 uplift in order to have some eggs and bacon from the breakfast buffet (only your continental breakfast is complimentary by-the-book). In all honesty, this could have been given for free (as many places do) and the hotel would not have lost money. So I feel the $8 was a little "money grabbing". Especially as my rate was not so cheap in the first place.

I have to say that I thought the breakfast buffet wasn't all that great. Limited in choice (hot and/or cold).

Valet parking was in the order of $40 for one night. I felt this was steep on top of what wasn't a particularly cheap room rate. The perils of a downtown location?

Speaking of which, I didn't find the location a problem. My satnav got me there immediately. Boston seemed a small, compact place to wander around and I walked most of it in a morning. So you can easily get to, for instance, the main attractions and restaurants. OK, they may not be on the doorstep, but they are not all that far away.

So, I have to say, my final opinion was "not bad, but not great, either".

Room Tip: Whilst renovations of the outside are ongoing it would be a good thing to make sure your room was aw...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thanks for your positive acknowledgement of the good service, room size and location.

I apologize for the external noise from the fascade work. The restoration work is carefully coordinated so as not to be intrusive and is almost finished.

We will review your comments and make the necessary adjustements.

Safe Travels,

Grady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Korean first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Our room was very stylish, comfortable and clean. The internet ($14.95/day) was faster than I've used at any other hotel. The staff was very friendly, and the concierge was helpful with directions. The room was not quiet; we could hear the conversation in the neighboring room. The neighborhood is best for business travelers. There were not many restaurants nearby for family vacationers. The nearest Starbucks and bagel shop were closed in the morning because it was a holiday (July 4) and there were no business customers; their signs said they were also closed on weekends.

Cambridge, OH
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I took our two teenagers to Boston for the week during July 4th and really enjoyed staying at the Hilton Financial District hotel. We stayed in a king suite which was very spacious, clean and comfortable. The concierge staff was amazing, especially John. They set up our New England Aquarium visit and Whale Watching cruise - absolutely wonderful experience. They also set us up with trolley tickets and told us all the great places to take our kids. Oh, the best part, they helped us find a perfect spot away from the crazy crowds to watch the fireworks on the fourth! Had the most amazing vacation ever!! Highly recommend!!!

Room Tip: very close to blue line T (the subway) -- much cheaper than taking a taxi anywhere (ask conciere for...
1 Thank Julie W
New York
Reviewed July 9, 2012

But not exactly great either. We stayed in a huge king suite with a living room and bedroom on the 4th floor. However, when we arrived, the room smelled musty, only one of the two television remotes was working and the air conditioning wouldn't maintain a comfortable temperature. I also noticed that the light fixture next to the bed appeared very dusty (like it hadn't been cleaned for a while). The refrigerator in our room was no longer operable and we were told that while we couldn't use it as a refrigerator, if we put ice in it, we could use it as a cooler. Finally, the room was very dark.

To be fair, after I spoke to the front desk about the remote, the musty smell and the air conditioning, they were resolved pretty quickly.

On the plus side, the staff was friendly and helpful, the location was decent and the beds and bedding were comfortable.

Generally, the hotel was fine but it would benefit from a little updating.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Huge rooms,great beds,separate area for the kids,friendly staff.Cant complain at all.The location is superb next to the brillant Quincy Markets.We loved staying here and in Boston.What a beautiful city and lots of Irish pubs.Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Away from the scaffolding.
1 Thank Our_USA_trip