“Is this REALLY an AIRPORT hotel???”

Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor
Ranked #28 of 85 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We're at the beginning of a three day stay at the Hyatt Harborside hotel in Boston. Normally, I'd wait until check-out to either write a review or comment, but this place is an anomaly. We travel extensively and have been exposed to the good, the bad and the ugly. The management here is doing something right and it deserves comment.

We checked-in mid afternoon after a long flight (previous comments about the shuttle are correct, but the driver pointed out to me as we were driving out of the airport that the traffic into the airport was bumper to bumper and moving at a snails pace - I saw it myself as we headed out - so this is something that they really have no control over - traffic is traffic), we walked into a packed foyer, the desk manager told me that there are THREE weddings being hosted in the hotel and they are SOLD out, fully booked for the weekend (I see a bride and her entourage nearby posing for photos). I immediately THOUGHT (based upon past experience) that there would be ridiciulously long times for room service, housekeeping etc. etc accompanied by drunk party goers in the hallways at all hours of the night preventing sleep.

It didn't happen!!! Beautiful, comfortable room, magnificent view of downtown Boston across the harbor and a staff that is so well trained that they should be working at a 5 star resort spa. Perhaps they staffed up for the deluge of these weddings. The bellman who accompanied us to our room was friendly and volunteered to get ice, help us with moving our heavy bags and wasn't in any sort of rush to leave before making absolutely sure we were happy.

The desk manager, Matt, offered us complimentary breakfast for our three night stay to make up for any difficulties we might have as a result of how crowded the hotel is going to bethis weekend. I thought that was a very nice touch, by not waiting for something bad to happen before doing something nice to make up for it. So we had smiles on our faces before we even got to our room.

We asked housekeeping for a few extra towels and the staffer, Erika, who brought up the towels asked if there was anything else we needed, we had set a small tray from a snack outside of our door when we finished and she saw one of the hand soap bars on the tray. I explained to her that my wife didn't like the aroma of that hand soap she she was putting it outside for disposal. She returned in fifteen minutes with a different brand of soap (with a much nicer aroma) - she volunteered this, we didn't ask for it.. but we really appreciated it.

Room service for dinner was prompt and the Bellman had recommended a dish. I anticipated a long wait, again I was wrong. Fast, hot and delicious - although there were two pages of caveats on the menu (it seemed like) stating all of the added charges for room service. In fact the add ons were the largest quantity of added charges I've ever seen anywhere. Bottom line a continuation of the airline philosophy of making a profit from extras. Be careful what you order - it could be expensive.

With the beautiful view out of our full sized picture window, I was jealous because there was only one overstuffed easy chair in the room (to which, of course, my wife would have first priority). I mentioned it to the front desk and they offered to find a second chair and bring it up to my room so we could sit together while we ate breakfast or had a cocktail in the evening.

What stands out here is that EVERY single staffer I've encountered is happy to be of service and it seems genuine not superficial. They are delivering in a manner that is rare to see. This is the type of service that separates the good from the superlative.

Room Tip: We have a high floor facing the bay, absolutely zero noise from the adjacent airport and a view that...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,650)

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Booked two nights as I was arriving around midnight on a flight from LAX. The first problem was that every other airport hotel had shuttles circling the terminal. After 15 minutes and no sign of the Hyatt bus, I called the hotel and they sent it over. When I got to the room my first impressions were of a very tired property that had not been renovated in many years...Maybe some carpet and furniture replaced, but the bathroom looked original and what you would expect of a low grade motel and not a major brand. There was also a area of the room where a piece of furniture appeared to be missing. I then attempted to order room service and was told that room service had closed. Eventually after complaining, the manager said he might be arrange some Chinese takeout!!!...then I went to look for the mini bar only to find there was none.

I'm a Hyatt Gold Passport member and have stayed in many Hyatt's throughout the world so I'm aware of what to expect. Considering this hotel is located at a major international airport, the absence of both 24 hr room service and a mini bar is totally unacceptable.

I accepted that I had made a serious mistake booking the Hyatt Harborside and was ready to check out immediately. However, as it was now 1am, I decided to endure till morning with no dinner. I checked out at 8am and moved to the Mandarin Oriental, which is clearly one of the best hotels in Boston.

Hyatt should be ashamed to put their name to this dreadful and substandard property.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Great views from the hotel and restaurant. Really nice and friendly staff. Comfortable and clean rooms. The shuttle from the hotel to airport/subway can be slow. Be prepared to wait for 20 mins. Breakfast was overpriced.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I spent the week end at The Hyatt Harborside at Logan Airport in Boston. It was our 50th anniversary. They upgraded our room to the 12th floor with a Harbor view, Wow, what a view.
The Manager sent up a bottle of Champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, another Wow.
Thank You for a Pleasant stay and the view of Boston Harbor. You rate a review of Excellent.
We will return. Thank You Very Much!
Regards,
Norman Baker

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We used our Hyatt Visa card ‘annual free night’ for a luxurious pre-flight stay near Boston’s Logan airport. We very much appreciated the Hyatt’s free and very prompt, courteous and continuous ‘on demand’ 24-hour shuttle from and to our airport terminals. Our morning driver on the 27th deserves 5 stars: he took the time to question two foreign travelers about their United Flight, to make very sure that they were asking him for the correct terminal. His concern for this clueless duo’s well-being rubbed off on the other shuttle bus passengers, we all pitched in to help decipher their ambiguous tickets.

Separately, our room (#426) had a terrific view of the Boston skyline, the restaurant had a similar view and one could go outside to a terrace and what seemed like a jogging/walking path along the waterfront. We ate dinner and breakfast in the hotel dining room, enjoying the skyline by night and at dawn—the buffet breakfast was ready at 6:00 am. The water taxi service to Boston’s downtown left from what seemed like the hotel’s private dock a short distance from the restaurant windows—we didn’t try the water taxis, but would do so for the $10 one-way fare ($17 RT) if we can afford to come back sometime, which we would definitely like to do—this is not your usual airport hotel by any means.

For this trip, we parked for free at the C&J Bus terminal in Portsmouth, bought round-trip senior C&J bus tickets to Logan for $40 each, were picked up by the Hyatt shuttle in the evening and delivered back to Logan in the morning. We could have driven to the Hyatt and left our car with them for an extra-fee hotel package, but since we were using a free Hyatt night, this was too complicated.

Room Tip: Ask for waterfront view...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
HyattHarborside, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thank you for your great comments and for taking the time to write them.Knowing that our guests leave our property with fond memories is what we thrive to achieve.We are looking foward to having you again!

In the Spirit of Hospitality ,

Michael Hickey

Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for my niece's wedding in August and it was just beautiful. The service staff is very attentive and the food is very good. Our room was on the harbor side making our view spectacular! The rooms are good size and the beds are so comfy. The only complaint I would have with the room was the air vent that blew on the bed. I wish there was a way to shift the vents so the blow would go towards the wall. It was also a little noisy because of the hallway noise but nothing too bad. All in all, a lovely hotel with an incredible harbor view, especially at night.

Room Tip: If possible, upgrade to a harbor view. The view at night is just beautiful!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank codaobean
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Harborside Hyatt is a lovely hotel located at Boston's airport - convenient for air travelers but a small challenge for the typical tourist in Boston. My husband was attending a conference at the hotel so I was on my own for a few days cruising around the city. Your best option is to buy a few days' worth of subway tickets to get in and out of the city. Trips cost $2.50 per trip ($5 for a round trip). The hotel's shuttle will drop you off at the subway station at the airport which is only a few minutes away. Trains arrive frequently and the trip is only about 10 minutes. Once you get to State Street sights abound in every direction. After a day of sightseeing, I got back on the subway, called the hotel to send the shuttle to the station for me and was soon back at the hotel. The other option is to take a water taxi which can be found right outside the hotel. The round trip costs $17 and takes about 10 minutes to cross the harbor and arrive at around the same location as the subway. Nasty weather and rough seas might eliminate this option. Also, the trains run later than the water taxis so you have to watch your time in the evening. Otherwise I had no complaints about the hotel. The conference rates were reasonable but the room rates posted on our door were crazy high for the room we had. One night we had a major electrical storm but neither of us heard it at all, which shouldn't be a surprise since we never heard any planes taking off or landing when we were in the room. Evidently the hotel is well soundproofed for outside noises but other reviewers thought the noise inside was unacceptable. The restaurant was very nice with a good menu, a fabulous view and a very friendly staff - especially appreciated since I was alone for my breakfast each day. Oh - and the free apples in the lobby were great!

Room Tip: It was worth the extra $10 to upgrade to a room with a view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business