“Don't Get Your Hopes Up!”

The Westin Copley Place, Boston
Ranked #30 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego, California
“Don't Get Your Hopes Up!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2006

I booked a stay at the Westin Copley Place for the 4th of July while I was staying there in February. My stay in Feb was great...but not so in July. I called from my hotel room to check on availability in July...I was told there were Riverview rooms available on July 4th at a rate of $289. I had a planned vacation in Cape Cod beginning on the 8th, so decided to go early and see the fireworks. I specifically stated at the time of reservations I wanted a Riverview room to see the fireworks--much like the room I was staying in then. I was not told there would be a problem. I rearranged my plane reservations to arrive on the 4th (instead of the 8th) in time for fireworks --and flew all day from California with my son. When I arrived, I was told that there were no more riverview rooms available! I was shocked. I am a long term SPG member and stay at Starwood properties several times a year. AFter much wrangling, I was told I could be put in a room on the 17th floor and I would be able to see the fireworks. I was not --they were blocked by the building in front of my room.

I was told that my reservation "guaranteed me a room" not the type of room I'd reserved. I understand that the 4th is a very busy time in Boston, with a lot of demand for views of the River...but if there was a problem, they should have told me that no rooms with a view were available when I made the reservation....or I would have thought someone would have contacted me if there was a problem since I was an SPG member.

I was very upset as was my son. I wrote a detailed letter to the CEO of the Starwood, as well as the General Manager of the Westin the next day....and have yet to receive a response from either (over a month later). Note: I was in the hotel for 3 more days after I left the complaint in the Managers Office.

Unfortunately, I will not stay at this property again, and will not choose Starwood first anymore.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank SMG1111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (898)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Upstate NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2006

I'm a Starwood Points member and this wasn't like other Westin Hotels. I stayed in February at the Westin in Florence and it was gorgeous. It seemed like there were more amenities when staying at a Westin. The Heavenly Bed wasn't that Heavenly at all. The duvet seemed a little dirty. The mattress was lower and a little too firm. There weren't as many toiletries in bathroom.

The carpet in my room seemed a little dirty too.

My Heavenly shower didn't work at first but after a call to the front desk it was fixed.

The concierge was very rude. When I asked about the July 3rd performance of the Boston Pops at the Hatch the concierge pointed to a brochure which didn't tell me anything. I guess he really wasn't up on things. I read through the brochure and it didn't mention the concert, I was ready to leave Boston. He didn't even try to make a phone call. I was lucky to find someone at Quincy Market that knew about the concert. I thought the concierge at a hotel was supposed to be informed. Don't expect to find a knowing concierge at this hotel. Maybe they should be replaced by computers. If I could have went to a website I'm sure I would have found out everything. The concierge really had an attitude. I also asked about finding a nearby movie theater and another concierge did the same thing. It really put a damper on my view of the Westin Hotels. If you don't want to work with people get a different job.

The bell hop seemed none existent. I got out of my car and popped open the truck. I thought someone would have came to get my suitcases by that time but I ended hauling them up myself.

The location is excellent for Newbury Street and the nearby malls.

9 Thank cs35
New York City, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2006

I recently stayed at the Copley just for one night. I wanted to check in at 2:45 and was told there was not a single room free in the entire hotel. Out of 36 floors and god knows how many rooms on each floor there was not a single one free?! ( I was told it was beccause check in time was not until 3pm!!) HAHA! I thought that was bit strange. Eventually with some coaxing we did get a room. I do like the heavenly beds and bathrooms at the Westin hotels. Everything was clean and well arranged. The only other compliant I have was about the concierge. I tried to make a reservation for dinner and there was an ENORMOUS line at the concierge. So I went up to the room and called. Do you think anyone picked up the phone...? NO! I kept on redailing, it just rang and rang. Eventually I ended up having a busy signal!! The concierge at the Westin has a busy signal...that is the strangest thing I have ever heard! I called reception and ended up having to leave a message for the concierge to call me back because the reception could not be of assistance either! I just thought that maybe they could have had more people working at the concierge..! For such a large hotel chain they should expect people to need assistance with reservations and should have more staff.

• Stayed July 2005
6 Thank Cstoeckl
Bozeman, Montana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2006

This hotel could do A LOT of things better. We encountered many problems over the course of our stay:
1) The shower did not drain properly, even after an engineer "fixed the problem." The drain simply could not handle the flow from the second shower head. So much for a heavenly shower.
2) The sound-proofing on the plumbing was abysmal. We could hear ALL the bathroom activities of the occupants above our room, which commenced very early in the morning. So much for a heavenly rest in their heavenly beds.
3) Service at one of the hotel restaurants, Bar 10, was terrible. No one even attempted to seat us and there were food remnants on the seats in the booths and all over the table. Moreover, the furniture looked worn. We ended up leaving, so we can't report on the food.
4) Our room was not made up until 330pm on Saturday. After a full morning and early afternoon sightseeing, we came back to a still dirty room with no clean towels. This is unacceptable.

The pool area is quite small, with very limited seating. The gym, however, is spacious and well-equipped. The rooms are relatively large, though plainly outfitted, with no real sense of style and the bathroom was quite small, given the size of the room.

All of this would be semi-acceptable at Holiday Inn prices, but this hotel charges a lot of money for their rooms. I got a special rate of $240 a night--the website and other sources had been quoting $329 per night. At those prices, you could stay at the Four Seasons (Weekend Rates), or many of the other hotels in the Back Bay, which I would highly recommend.

This a convention hotel, through and through, not a luxury weekend hotel.

The only saving grace of this hotel, if there is one, is its location. The hotel is located close to Newbury Street, Back Bay Station, the Public Garden, and so on. That said, there are many other hotels in the Back Bay, and many that are basically in the same location as the Westin. I would recommend searching around and avoiding this hotel, unless you can get a really good deal.

8 Thank qaz123
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2006

As a Platinum Starwood member, I used 10,000 points to stay one night at this hotel. My first time at this hotel, although I and my wife are originally from Boston. Very good experience overall. Be advised, using valet to park car (no other option) is $40 per night. Be advised there is no Club Level room or free breakfast for Platinum members at this hotel. I was upgraded to a junior suite on the 20th floor with a beautiful view of the Charles River, downtown Boston, and the Boston Harbor. The pool with jacuzzi was adequate and the fitness center was very good. Typical Westin touches - bed, shower, etc. Very quite room. Elevators were excellent. Plenty of restaurants and shopping just outside hotel. It is even attached to an indoor mall. Service at hotel was efficient and friendly. There is a convenient Hertz Rental Car desk at the hotel, so next year we will return our rental car at the hotel, avoid the $40 overnight fee, and just take a taxi t the airport. We plan to stay at this hotel again at the same time next year.

• Stayed June 2006
9 Thank PAQ
boston,ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2006

We stayed at the Westin for 1 night free using our Starwood Points. Had a lovely room on the 34th floor-a little high, but what a view. The bed is just that, heavenly! Shower is excellent, bathrobes and big closet. Service was great, very friendly. Very rainy day, but we made the best of it. had an unbelieveble lunch at Atlantic Fish Co., Michelle (a man) was our bartender and made the lunch wonderful. Abe and Louie's for dinner was very good, too. Pricey and a little noisy and crowded, but filet was to die for. Had drinks at Fairmont Copley-ornate hotel, but just gorgeous. Walked Newbury St and did a little shopping. The Westin was a great location and we would definitely stay again, they also have a great , fun bar.

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank masstraveler
Great Falls, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2006

Stayed at the Westin Copley Place on Copley Square in Boston over the Memorial Day weekend and loved every minute of our stay. The hotel staff was friendly, helpful and well-informed. The second floor lobby of the hotel was warm, inviting and yet very hip and contemporary. Loved the fireplace and sitting area. Outstanding shops and window shopping opportunities. The enclosed breezeway over the street that connects to the enormous Prudential indoor shopping mall was terrific, too.

Brunch at the Turner Fisheries restaurant was wonderful (went there based on the recommendation of the hotel concierge).

9 Thank Anonymous1000