“big hotel, not enough staff”

The Westin Copley Place, Boston
Ranked #29 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, NY
“big hotel, not enough staff”
Reviewed July 10, 2006

I recently stayed at the Copley just for one night. I wanted to check in at 2:45 and was told there was not a single room free in the entire hotel. Out of 36 floors and god knows how many rooms on each floor there was not a single one free?! ( I was told it was beccause check in time was not until 3pm!!) HAHA! I thought that was bit strange. Eventually with some coaxing we did get a room. I do like the heavenly beds and bathrooms at the Westin hotels. Everything was clean and well arranged. The only other compliant I have was about the concierge. I tried to make a reservation for dinner and there was an ENORMOUS line at the concierge. So I went up to the room and called. Do you think anyone picked up the phone...? NO! I kept on redailing, it just rang and rang. Eventually I ended up having a busy signal!! The concierge at the Westin has a busy signal...that is the strangest thing I have ever heard! I called reception and ended up having to leave a message for the concierge to call me back because the reception could not be of assistance either! I just thought that maybe they could have had more people working at the concierge..! For such a large hotel chain they should expect people to need assistance with reservations and should have more staff.

• Stayed July 2005
6 Thank Cstoeckl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (931)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed July 4, 2006

This hotel could do A LOT of things better. We encountered many problems over the course of our stay:
1) The shower did not drain properly, even after an engineer "fixed the problem." The drain simply could not handle the flow from the second shower head. So much for a heavenly shower.
2) The sound-proofing on the plumbing was abysmal. We could hear ALL the bathroom activities of the occupants above our room, which commenced very early in the morning. So much for a heavenly rest in their heavenly beds.
3) Service at one of the hotel restaurants, Bar 10, was terrible. No one even attempted to seat us and there were food remnants on the seats in the booths and all over the table. Moreover, the furniture looked worn. We ended up leaving, so we can't report on the food.
4) Our room was not made up until 330pm on Saturday. After a full morning and early afternoon sightseeing, we came back to a still dirty room with no clean towels. This is unacceptable.

The pool area is quite small, with very limited seating. The gym, however, is spacious and well-equipped. The rooms are relatively large, though plainly outfitted, with no real sense of style and the bathroom was quite small, given the size of the room.

All of this would be semi-acceptable at Holiday Inn prices, but this hotel charges a lot of money for their rooms. I got a special rate of $240 a night--the website and other sources had been quoting $329 per night. At those prices, you could stay at the Four Seasons (Weekend Rates), or many of the other hotels in the Back Bay, which I would highly recommend.

This a convention hotel, through and through, not a luxury weekend hotel.

The only saving grace of this hotel, if there is one, is its location. The hotel is located close to Newbury Street, Back Bay Station, the Public Garden, and so on. That said, there are many other hotels in the Back Bay, and many that are basically in the same location as the Westin. I would recommend searching around and avoiding this hotel, unless you can get a really good deal.

• Stayed July 2006
8 Thank qaz123
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed July 1, 2006

As a Platinum Starwood member, I used 10,000 points to stay one night at this hotel. My first time at this hotel, although I and my wife are originally from Boston. Very good experience overall. Be advised, using valet to park car (no other option) is $40 per night. Be advised there is no Club Level room or free breakfast for Platinum members at this hotel. I was upgraded to a junior suite on the 20th floor with a beautiful view of the Charles River, downtown Boston, and the Boston Harbor. The pool with jacuzzi was adequate and the fitness center was very good. Typical Westin touches - bed, shower, etc. Very quite room. Elevators were excellent. Plenty of restaurants and shopping just outside hotel. It is even attached to an indoor mall. Service at hotel was efficient and friendly. There is a convenient Hertz Rental Car desk at the hotel, so next year we will return our rental car at the hotel, avoid the $40 overnight fee, and just take a taxi t the airport. We plan to stay at this hotel again at the same time next year.

• Stayed June 2006
9 Thank PAQ
boston,ma
Reviewed June 15, 2006

We stayed at the Westin for 1 night free using our Starwood Points. Had a lovely room on the 34th floor-a little high, but what a view. The bed is just that, heavenly! Shower is excellent, bathrobes and big closet. Service was great, very friendly. Very rainy day, but we made the best of it. had an unbelieveble lunch at Atlantic Fish Co., Michelle (a man) was our bartender and made the lunch wonderful. Abe and Louie's for dinner was very good, too. Pricey and a little noisy and crowded, but filet was to die for. Had drinks at Fairmont Copley-ornate hotel, but just gorgeous. Walked Newbury St and did a little shopping. The Westin was a great location and we would definitely stay again, they also have a great , fun bar.

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank masstraveler
Great Falls, Virginia
Reviewed June 3, 2006

Stayed at the Westin Copley Place on Copley Square in Boston over the Memorial Day weekend and loved every minute of our stay. The hotel staff was friendly, helpful and well-informed. The second floor lobby of the hotel was warm, inviting and yet very hip and contemporary. Loved the fireplace and sitting area. Outstanding shops and window shopping opportunities. The enclosed breezeway over the street that connects to the enormous Prudential indoor shopping mall was terrific, too.

Brunch at the Turner Fisheries restaurant was wonderful (went there based on the recommendation of the hotel concierge).

9 Thank Anonymous1000
Centereach, New York
Reviewed May 31, 2006

My wife & I just returned from a weekend get away over the Memorial Day holiday. We stayed at the Westin Copley which is located in the very nice area known as Back Bay. Everyone that we came into contact with who worked at the hotel was very nice & helpful. The rooms were of modern decorum, very clean, good size with a king size bed, desk, amoire, closet w/safe, nice tv, and two chairs with ottomans. We had a room on the 22nd floor with a beautiful view of the St. Charles River and parts of the city. The bathroom was clean, good size with nice amenities. We didn't eat at any of the restaurants at the hotel. They are a bit over priced in my opinion. The lounge bar is very nice and a good place to relax at night. Bed was very comfortable. Didn't think the a/c kept the room cool enough. Had it at maximum & still found the room to be on the warm side. It could just be me though, since I like the room to be on the chilly side. You can open a window which I did at night that helped cool the room off. The hotel is located close enough to everything. You can walk to most things. The area is beautiful with parks, shops, & restaurants close by. Freedom Trail is a short walk away, along with Fanuil Hall, Quincy Market, the Commons, and the USS Constitution. We took the guided tour starting from the Visitors Information Center. They have an actor dressed for the era who takes you along the Freedom Trail and explains many of the unknown facts about the significant & some not so significant history of Boston. We also visited the JFK library which you can get to via taxi or the T. We took the taxi there and decided to ride the T back to Fanuil Hall. Was very straight forward and a lot less money. One restaurant we did eat at one night for dinner that was excellent was called Skip Jacks. It is a couple of blocks from the Westin Copley & was excellent and reasonably priced. Raw seafood bar, nice bar area, excellent service, friendly, and excellent food. We also ate at a restaurant down at Quincy Market called the Salty Dog. Also excellent. It is right in the heart of Fanuil Hall and Quincy Market area. It has an outside bar with tables set up right in the heart of the action. The street entertainment that takes place is done right there so you can eat and watch some of the entertainment at the same time. All in all it was a very nice weekend. Boston is a lovely city, rich in history. We were there for two nights and wish we had been able to stay an additional night which would have given us another day to sight see. I would not hesitate to recommend staying at the Westin Copley.

11 Thank toorelaxed
Denver
Reviewed May 29, 2006

We recently stayed here when my spouse was at a meeting in Boston; it was one of the convention hotels. Upon checkin, we were first given a room that had recently had the carpet cleaned (carpet still wet; furniture on bed). We called immediately, and they moved us (after a 15-min. wait) to another room; somewhat annoying, but not a problem. More annoying was the fact that the person who checked us in told my spouse that we could not cancel our last night's stay (last of 4 nights) - that the policy was that we had to cancel any night's stay 24 hours prior to our initial arrival (FYI, separate item, room price quoted as $256). That may be the policy, and we messed up. He did upgrade us to a riverview room to compensate for our not being able to check out a day early (spouse booked too many days by mistake). Then I called the Westin Reservations number from our hotel room, and made the same request to cancel - the woman on the phone said that yes, we could cancel that last night, which she did, and I had her email the confirmation to my blackberry. She also mentioned our room price was $297, and we had 4 adults; I said no, 2 adults, 2 kids, and we thought the price was $256; she fixed all that as well. The next morning, I checked at the front desk to make sure everything had been fixed. That woman still had us for a 4-night stay, but cancelled that last night with no comment; she had us down as 2 adults, 2 kids, at $236. So in the end, we got a cheaper rate than originally, for a better room, and the number of nights we had planned. And we may have misunderstood the Westin's cancellation policy, and only got what we wanted by getting around the system. But it was still a bureaucratic hassle.

I'm not a chain hotel sort of person in general (prefer small family-run hotels), but do stay at chains occasionally. I only recently have heard about Westin's heavenly beds; I didn't notice that they were any different; but maybe that's because the bed was similar to mine at home. The room was decent-sized, and I didn't notice that it was larger than other hotel rooms, though it may have been. There was a coffee maker in our room, which I liked. The lobby area was quite small, and I was surprised there was no breakfast restaurant in the hotel (though we don't generally eat at them anyway). I didn't notice the Starbucks until the last morning. On the plus side, the staff (except for the guy the first day) was pleasant and helpful, and the little runner's maps were great! The location is very good, close to everything in the Back Bay, to the Charles River (for running), and to the T, which we used a lot.

• Stayed May 2006