“Good location, poor service, better choices nearby”

The Westin Copley Place, Boston
Ranked #30 of 85 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We checked in and then waited over 2 hours for our luggage to be delivered to our room. Then discovered the bed had not been made up. There are at least 5 hotels within 100 yards of the Westin. Each would be a better choice.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CWC81
JohnWedig, Hotel Manager at The Westin Copley Place, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

I am very sorry to hear about the experience you had while staying with us. That is certainly not the type of service we strive for. I would love to speak with you further. Please email me at john.wedig@westin.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,075)

Reviewed December 21, 2013

The hotel is just excellent! Very good service, rooms, internet, location, fitness center, swimming pool, breakfast...everything.

The valet parking and the breakfast are extremelly expensive. So be alert.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us! We strive to satisfy your every need. In regards to some of the expenses, I would like to point out that our pricing is in line with all of the hotels in our category in the area. Thank you again for the kind words. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed December 19, 2013

We booked to stay in a junior suite here but had a hiccup with our credit card on arrival. The receptionist admitted it was his fault, apologised and gave us two complimentary breakfast vouchers as compensation, which we thought was very fair. The junior suites, as others have said, are situated on the corners of the building and from the 18th floor we had a truly superb view over Copley Square to Back Bay, the Charles River and Cambridge. Lovely to see in sun or snow and we had plenty of both!

The room was very spacious with the most comfortable large bed but we had to remove the very heavy duvet and store it for the six nights we were staying - way too much for us. We had plenty of seating and work space and everything else you would expect but they do charge for Wi-Fi. The bathroom was very small and hot water was a hit and miss affair - we never had hot water early or late so a barely warm wash was the norm before bed. The bathroom has no heating and no extractor fan either. They have a system here which we liked of giving you a voucher for $5 dollars a day off food and drink in the hotel if you don't have housekeeping. This meant if the weather was bad you didn't have to leave the room just so the towels could be changed etc. We only had housekeeping on two days and made our own bed and tidied up the rest of the time. You get plenty of towels.

We used our free breakfast vouchers and had a choice of the buffet or the American breakfast. We chose the buffet but the hot food was only lukewarm on both days so the omelette station was a better option on a weekend. On the other days we used our $5 vouchers at Ingredients café by the lounge area and had excellent service and good food to go. They only have a few bar stools at the counter but you can sit in the lounge or take your food to your room.

All the staff we encountered were pleasant and helpful, the hotel is in an excellent position as other reviewers have said and you can access via walkways lovely shops without getting cold or snowed on. We enjoyed our stay here very much and would be very happy to return to a junior suite in particular.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank flowerlady64
JohnWedig, Hotel Manager at The Westin Copley Place, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Your comments help us learn our strengths and weaknesses. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. Our junior suites really are an excellent choice if you are looking for a little more room to spread out and get some work done. Ingredients is a recent addition that we designed for our guests who are looking for a quick but nourishing bite to eat. Thank you again, and I hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

This Hotel is great for staying in the city if you want to be close to everything. Everything was clean and professional, however like the reviewer before me said, the rooms are sparse and lack any kind of personality. My room did have a robe, but no wine glasses and no mini bar. Bar 10 is a great place to go for drink..and the hotel is connected to the Copley Shops and walk ways that will take you through the Marriott hotel and then to the Prudential center and their shops so you do not have to walk outside in cold weather. It was freezing when I was there and this was a blessing!! Champions in the Marriott is a great place to watch a sporting event with one of the largest TVs I have seen anywhere..the food is great..so good that I ate breakfast thee the next day..have the Turkey Reuben and the Banana Walnut french toast. I would for sure stay there again just for the fact that it is so close to everything, and all the staff were fantastic and so nice. But for the price I expected just a little more from the Westin.

Room Tip: Was on the top floor which was the 36th floor over looking the Charles River..what a view at night s...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Charke

Thank you for choosing the Westin Copley Place during your recent stay. I couldn't agree with you more - the sky-bridges that connect us to many other shops and restaurants are wonderful when the weather outside is less than desirable. We are very proud of our Bar 10, it is the perfect place for a nightcap. I hope that you will be staying with us again next time you find yourself in the city.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Overall positive rating for the early check-in, pleasant staff, gym quality and cleanliness, views, comfy bed, soft towels, and location, which allows indoor access to several hundred stores, restaurants, office buildings, and Amtrak and local trains through a maze of skyways and tunnels -- essential in poor weather.

But I was surprised at how sparse the room was: no bathrobes, no wine glasses, no cottonballs/Qtips, no picture book on Boston's institutions, and the mini bar had been replaced by a sticker instructing guests to go to the snack shop in the lobby. When I raised the issue at checkout, I was told that I could have called and asked for a robe and wine glass. That's crazy: when I got back to the room late after dinner, I wanted to slip into a robe and have a drink, not call and wait for a clerk to bring me things that ought to be in a Westin room in the first place.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NYCTravelingMan2010
JohnWedig, Hotel Manager at The Westin Copley Place, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your feedback is essential in bettering our performance in the future. I will share your comments regarding the wine glass and robe placement in the rooms. I am sorry that you found this as an inconvenience but am very happy to read that you enjoyed our location and staff. I hope that we will see you again in the future.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

If you're looking for a centrally located hotel, the Westin Copley Place is worth looking into. It is a bit pricey. We were part of a wedding block so we did receive a group rate, which helped a lot. We stayed in a junior suite and it was spacious, but the bathroom was a bit small in comparison. The water pressure was a bit off. I recommend skipping the restaurants within the hotel (too pricey for the quality).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us during the wedding you attended. Our junior suites are really great for offering that little bit of extra space that is needed when you are trying to get ready for a big event. I hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future!

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Don't get me wrong, this is a beautiful hotel and a beautiful location. However, I have been in nicer hotels for less. You are definitely paying for the location. Since Boston is so small and so easy to travel, I would stay in a cheaper hotel and take transportation to the sites I want to see at that end of town.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business