“Great Location! Great People!”

The Westin Copley Place, Boston
Ranked #28 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Connected to the Copley Mall, where the shopping is unbeatable. Linked to other shopping centres with a variety of shops that will satisfy the most avid shopper. From the ultimate high-end designers to your daily needs, everything under one roof.

In addition, the charming and very accessible Newbury Street with the great variety of shops is just a few minutes walk away. Then there is the Public Library with its memorable architecture, the museums, the parks, etc.

In the mall and all around the hotel are many restaurants that getting a good meal is not an issue.

Rooms are clean and housekeeping does a good job. The view of Boston is, of course, a bonus. Staff are always polite and helpful.

Two members of the team who stand out are: Lincoln Barrett from Service Express and Ezra in the breakfast room The Huntington.

Lincoln is always positive and helpful. In addition constructive in solving problems. He is professional and courteous at all times. A terrific team member of Westin.

Ezra Is always cheerful and helpful. Always trying hard to please his guests. He is efficient and tries to remember what his guests like.

These two staff members are representative of many at the Westin who will make your stay pleasant and hassle-free.

Highly recommend the Westin Copley Place.

Room Tip: Rooms all have some view. The higher you go, which means more expensive, the views get better. The C...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chiahhwang
There are newer reviews for The Westin Copley Place, Boston

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Just returned from a weekend stay at the Boston Westin Copley. The hotel and staff exceeded all expectations and I would have no issue staying here again or refering this hotel to a friend/relative.

ARRIVAL:

Access to the hotel entrance is off of Huntingdon Avenue and is a one way Street in this area. The hotel entrance is to your left slightly pass the intersection at Dartmouth Street.

A fair warning as you arrive that this is a downtown hotel and parking is limited. The hotel will charge you $47.00 per night to park however there are parking lots in the area you can utilize away from the hotel that will cost you less. However after factoring in the convenience with luggage and location we opted to use the hotel valet. I checked with another comparable hotel in the area and found they were charging the same so I would assume that most of the downtown hotels are the same.

CHECK IN:

The lobby is located on the second floor immediately above the front door/valet area. The lobby was clean and cared for and adequate staff were on hand to accomodate the numerous arriving guests. We booked this hotel through another company and had no issues being treated any different then if I had booked it through Starwood. We were greeted and checked in by a cheerful and polite young lady promptly prior to the hotel's regularly scheduled check-in time. We did not sample any of the hotel restaurants so I cannot comment here but did take in the lobby bar which has nice atmosphere with a polite wait staff with lots of room to sit and enjoy.

ROOM:
We received a beautiful well appointed king room on the 27th floor. The room was spacious, clean and the view of Boston spectacular. The bathroom was clean and the rainfall showerhead a nice touch. Everything worked well and we had absolutely no issue or concern with our room. The bed was super comfortable and welcomed after a long 9hr drive from Canada.

STAFF:
Exceptional is the word I will use. As someone not from the area their friendliness, assistance and advice was appreciated. So much to the point that we tried to book another night to stay longer. However the hotel was full but they went above and beyond by securing us a night at another sister hotel. Every member of the staff we had interaction with was a great ambassador for the hotel.

EXCURSIONS:

We used Old Town Trolley Tours and were not disappointed in our tour of Boston including stops along the Freedom Trail. The package we purchased offered two days of access to the trolleys which are frequent and which also included a guided tour on a boat around the harbor. We visited many of the local spots including the USS Constitution to Cheers. The trolley and harbor cruise stops near them all so you never have to walk very far. A word of advice to those planning on touring the USS Constitution you will need photo Id with you to access the ship. The trolleys run until 5pm and you can get off and on as many times as you like to accomodate your needs. The guides were friendly, knowlegable and willingly offered advice/direction ony any questions we had. As a Red Sox fan the trip to Boston would not have been complete without a trip to Fenway Park where we watched the Red Sox take two of three from the Yankees. Even if you are not a Red Sox fan you should still take in a game at this historical park.

It would take me to long to list the many pubs and restaurants we visited while here. Each one was unique in it's own right and we never had a bad meal or bad service from any of them. As I earlier mentioned with the hotel every person I/we met was friendly and a great ambassador to the City of Boston. We had no concerns walking around day or night.

Overall a great trip to Boston and a city I look forward to visiting again. The atmosphere of this city and it's people are great and made the difference. Wish we could have stayed longer!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have lived in Boston for 17 years and stayed here for 3 days before my family moved. Location wise it could not be better. It has a super location that is close to everything. That said it is also a huge hotel that is pretty impersonal, you get the feeling that you are checking in to an airport and the service is average at best (nothing extra ordinary even if you have spg status). Its fine for what it is which is a centrally located hotel for sleeping, if you are looking for a more genuine Boston experience, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nkaynor
Reviewed July 24, 2013

WWe had a wonderful view from our hotel. It was in an absolutely fabulous location, literally right in front of you when you get off the subway. Within walking distance of everything! Concierge was very friendly and helpful in pointing us in the right direction of a great restaurant. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Nice hotel! Excellent location. We had a fantastic view of the city. Beds are amazing. Loved their green program. The property connects to the Copley Mall which connects to the Prudential Mall. Highly recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was in great spot, walk to newbury st, Fenway, prudential center, etc. Room was modern and quite spacious. We had a comfortable bed and everything was in working order. The staff was courteous and efficient, we were even able to get into our room early without any wait. Would book again!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I am delayed in writing this review due to my summer travel and personal schedule. I also wanted to give myself time to make sure that the bedbugs didn't follow me back to my house or to my daughter's summer sublet in Boston. Enough time has passed and since we are personally bedbug free, I am satisfied overall with the outcome, albeit this was not a great experience to go through. I've always LOVED the Westin at Copley and have stayed at this property several times without experiencing bedbugs. This is a difficult review to write because if I hadn't experienced bedbugs, I would have given this property a five star. As a Starwood Preferred Guest, I have always thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I simply cannot objectively rate the hotel, even in the "average" category, because I cannot categorize staying in a hotel bed with bedbugs as anything but "poor," even though the hotel itself clearly has much to offer. They are known for their "heavenly" beds, and I can tell you that having bedbugs in your hotel bed is anything but heavenly! Our weekend was completely stressful as a result.
We stayed there from May 31st to June 2, 2013 and my daughter was attacked by several bedbugs at about midnight. Management kicked RIGHT INTO ACTION ..so swiftly and with such great care that MANAGEMENT deserves FIVE stars even though the property does not. The security supervisors, and John W, General Manager, and housekeeping were all amazing. We had massive amounts of luggage and clothing because we were moving my daughter into a sublet. Everything was professionally cleaned and brought back to us on a coat rack and in little bags. Our luggage was professionally cleaned as well. They comped us for the entire weekend and gave us a free breakfast. Orkin pest control came to inspect the following morning and the management was completely honest about finding bedbugs behind the headboard. The room was shut down. Westin Management is fantastic.
The first thing I do whenever I travel is inspect the mattress, and I did so even on this trip, but didn't see anything due to the fact that they were lurking behind the headboard; however, according to Orkin there were a few bugs in the mattress itself. I was told that it is a difficult problem and that they have check procedures in place, but I think more can be done,especially because this is the WESTIN! My suggestion to them is to buy mattress encasings as I have seen many bed and breakfasts following that protocol as well as some other hotel chains. It would not prevent the bugs from getting behind a headboard, but it will prevent them from getting into a mattress and most definitely help this terrible problem (see link to this common sense solution at end of review) A week later, we were suspicious that my daughter may have brought them from the hotel to her sublet due to some suspicious bites and once again, Westin management kicked in and sent orkin over to inspect right away and no bed bugs were found. John W, manager, has offered to have any future room I stay in be personally checked to make sure there are no bed bugs, and I may take him up on it, but I'm still pretty nervous about staying there again. Again, I cannot emphasize enough how stellar management was in handling this.. five stars for management, but sorry, two stars for any property that has bed bugs.

I think mattress covers are essential in this fight against bedbugs."Bed bug mattress covers, also called "encasements," are designed to keep bedbugs both in and out. The goal in addressing a bedbug infestation is to eliminate the potential for the bedbugs to find ever more places to hide, bite, and reproduce." Anyone can read about this online http://www.ask.com/explore/all-about-bed-bug-mattress-covers and see for themselves.

My advice to the management at Westin, who really did bend over backwards to deal with this, is do the right thing, be innovative, and add mattress encasements to your regimen!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank rmunchkin
MJorgensen, General Manager at The Westin Copley Place, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thank you for your positive comments aboutour Hotel Manager John Wedig and our management staff concerning their handling of your issue with bed bugs....I wish I was writing back about something more positive, but this issue has really come to the forefront in the last couple of years and no hotel is immune to it.

If you look at some of the statistics kept by a myriad of different organizations, there was a marked decrease in the numbers of bed bugs when DDT was introduced in the 1950s. However for many good reasons the use of DDT as a pesticide was banned in the 1970’s.

Some research indicates that up to 25% of residents in some cities have reported problems with them. My guess is that the problem stems from increased world travel, and because of all these free rides from one continent to another, bed bugs are again making their presence felt as they are removed from one country and introduced to another through international transport on clothing, luggage and the human body. Bed bugs can be found on airlines and in cargo holds as well. Used furniture and bedding has also become more popular, which can facilitate the transfer of bed bugs. They have also become increasingly resistant to many traditional forms of pesticides.

Because they are showing up in more places, they have become press worthy and with all that press comes a heightened form of paranoia. Don’t get me wrong, everyone that travels needs to take precautions. And certainly any hotel in this era needs to do the same, and those that take it very seriously will be less apt to find their name on a bed bug website.

Additionally no particular business is immune to them. In fact you might be surprised to know that some pretty prominent companies and offices such as Time Warner, Penguin Books, Sirius XM radio, the Brooklyn district attorney's office, and even UN headquarters closed for bed bug treatments last year.

What it means at the Westin Copley Place is that 99% of the claims of bed bug bites are actually false alarms…you see people can have an itch or a bump or a mosquito bite and if they are staying at a hotel, than their natural reaction is to fear the worse…Bed Bugs! We take each claim very seriously and as such our pest control costs have gone up 148%. We are required to inspect any complaint of bed bugs, and we are contracted with a third party extermination company to do this, even though, and I will say it again…99% of what they find in our hotel are false sightings…

In the spirit of full disclosure however, and in your case, If we do have a positive sighting we then shut down that room, the rooms on either side and the rooms across the hall and remove the beds or furniture where they are found. Data shows that bed bugs almost always are found within 12 feet of the bed, so if we do find evidence of activity we are most likely replacing the bed.

Regarding your comment about Encasements, Starwood has spent a great deal of time researching these and while they are probably reccomended more for home use, Encasements do not prevent bed bugs from biting you in bed. They can still live on the encasement or live elsewhere in the room and climb onto it. Also there is the concern that they coule become damaged and thus comprimised...that is not to say we would not entertain this suggestion and John is working on this right now.

We try to stay ahead of the problem however and as such all our housekeepers are trained and retrained every 6 months to spot and alert to bed bug activity. We also use a bed bug sniffing dog who we pay (not the dog, but his company!) who comes in quarterly and inspects all 800 rooms. Unfortunately there is no preventative protocol at this point, so we need to continue to be proactive in our discovery process….I can assure you that will continue forever, or until they are all gone…whatever comes first….