“Fine for conference”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York, NY, USA
“Fine for conference”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The Westin is a large hotel in the heart of Boston. The hotel is on Huntington Ave. which is a busy street that doesn't have a lot of charm but it is steps from beautiful Copley Square and Boylston St. which has lots of stores and restaurants. The Prudential Center is a few blocks away and you can get there through skyways that connect the hotel with the Marriott, the indoor shopping malls and ultimately the Pru. It's a 10 minute taxi ride to the financial district.

I thought the hotel was nice enough though nothing spectacular. I attended a conference for two nights and thought the facilities suited my needs fine. The rooms are pretty standard and have been updated but still shows their age and you can see peeling wallpaper if you look hard enough. They have a Green Choice program that lets you fore go housekeeping service for 500 Starwood points per night. The gym is large and has lots of machines and there is an indoor pool though not big enough for laps.

The Westin would be a good choice for a conference and is well located for a weekend getaway, especially if you are using points. If you are on a budget, there are probably other hotels that are better value.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
MJorgensen, General Manager at The Westin Copley Place, Boston, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay during the conference you were attending...Your comments are appreciated and taken with the intention of getting better...

Our location in Copley Square is ideal whether attending a conference or here on a leisure getaway...central to everything in the Back Bay.

I am sorry to hear that you were able to find some wall paper peeling in your room...that is not indicative of our standards and our rooms have been refreshed in the last two years so they should not be showing age...my apologie for this oversight by our housekeeping staff...

Once again thank ou for your comments and we hope that we get a chance to welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (916)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
tennessee
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I recently stayed here four nights for a professional convention, and I would not stay here again. Although the property was adequate; it was not worth the price even with the convention rate, much less the standard rate. On the positive side, the location at Copley Square is great, yet there is little else to add in that regard. Everything here is a bit worn down, and a lot of things don't work well--especially the elevators and the temperature controls. Lighting was terrible everywhere, as this had to be the dimmest convention center I have ever encountered. The staff was barely polite, and I had the feeling that my suggestions and complaints were ignored. My group meets here every second year; the next time I will stay in another hotel at standard rates, rather than the Westin at convention rates.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Old Joe
MJorgensen, General Manager at The Westin Copley Place, Boston, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Old Joe, I am sorry to hear that your stay was less than desirable for you...i was particularly distressed to hear that you thought we were a bit run down, as we just finished renovations to our guest rooms last year and to the lobby this April...all the meeting space has been upgrade in the last 4 years...more disturbing was that you felt that the staff was barely polite...this is not at all what we strive for...I would love an opportunity to speak to you further about your stay. I can be reached at michael.jorgensen@westin.com.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed here three nights for a wedding and it was okay, but not nearly as good as it should be considering it's a Westin and the price. The location is great, but the inside of the hotel and the service leave a bit to be desired.

It might seem like a strange issue, but the most memorable downside was the elevators. I don't know if some were broken, but there were seven elevators and I almost always had to wait minutes for one after calling it. And then when I did catch an elevator, it stopped on every other floor to pick someone else up.

When you're on a higher floor and it can take over 5 minutes to get up to or down from your room, this has a surprisingly serious impact on the experience of staying at the hotel.

The walls (or maybe just the doors?) are also very thin and it can be quite loud at night with people walking around and talking and in the morning with the maids cleaning other rooms.

The service was okay, but nothing stood out as particularly good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank aikinai

I am sorry to hear that there were waits for the elevators...you are correct we do have 7 elevators and generally that number will be sufficient even over the busiest times, so I will need to get with my Director of Engineering to see if there was a problem with any of them.

Clinton, NJ
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We recently stayed at this Westin Hotel. It was in a nice area. Close to the train, so it as easy to get around the area. It was also very nice that it was connected to two nice malls. It gave us a lot of options for food and shopping.
We traveled with our 4 kids ages 18,16,13, and 10. We had 2 junior suites which were very spacious and perfect for our family. The rooms were very large, housekeeping was great and I have to say that the front desk were always more than helpful. They went out of there way for us. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: A junior suite was only slightly more money, but was a very large room. I would recommend it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Westin Copley Place...I am delighted you were able to stay with us while visiting Boston. We can't agree with you more on the location...central to everything!

I also want to thank you for your comments on our staff...we are very proud of all of them and your comments just validate for us that they put service first and foremost and that is 90% of the battle.

Connecticut
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My daughter and I stayed with a couple of friends at the Westin Copley Place Hotel in Boston for Memorial Day weekend. I have stayed at other higher priced hotels and I don't think I've ever been treated as well as we were at the Westin. From the minute we pulled into the valet parking area in the front of the hotel to when we got in the car to leave for home, everyone we met was more than accommodating, pleasant and helpful.

Our large suite was very comfortable for the 4 of us. We had 2 wonderful queen beds and a pullout couch, a lovely view of the city and the most amazing shower. The room was tastefully decorated and surprisingly quiet for a large hotel during a holiday weekend.

When we requested that our bags be stored for the day so we could attend the last day of Anime Boston, we were offered keys to the Fitness Center so our girls could change out of their costumes and shower before we left for home.

The Westin has access to both the Copley Place and the Prudential Malls and despite the inclement weather of Memorial Day weekend, we barely had to go outside to get over to the Hynes Center and our daily activities. It was a welcome discovery that we only had to walk through the mall and not go out into the cold and the rain.

My only criticism is that the Westin, like many other higher priced hotels, does not offer complimentary internet access. I am always surprised that this is not a service offered for free. It would seem a small price to pay to better accommodate travelers whether they are traveling for business or for pleasure. In this day and age, access to the internet is expected by most and with the high cost of hotel rooms in most cities, it shouldn't be too hard or costly to provide.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Regarding HSIA we do offer complimentry WiFi in the lobby are of the hotel, so you can come down and relax in our newly renovated lobby area and connect for free!

Kelowna
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We were there for six nights in May. Had a very enjoyable stay.

Likes:

1. Starbucks right off the main lobby.
2. Friendly staff.
3. Concierges were very helpful.
4. Beds were sooooo comfortable!
5. Great central location in Copley Square. A block from Newbury Street, the T, fabulous restaurants.

Dislikes:

1. Toilet was very loud when flushing. Often needed two flushes in spite of its loud flush lol.
2. Tub needed to have a dose of Draino.
3. Lack of washrooms in the lobby.

We didn't check out the fitness or pool area and the only place in the hotel we tried was Bar 10.

Great stay!

1 Thank Lisa W

We do have restrooms in the lobby...just down the corridor adjacent to the Gretta Cole Spa. Thanks for the heads up on the drain...our toliets in the guest rooms are low-flush toilets to help protect the environment, but you shouldn't have to flush more than once...I will let my Director of Engineering know so he can take a look at this.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed four night for a conference, and can honestly say it was one of the nicest experiences I've had with a hotel. My room was very clean, very quiet, and I had a great view. My interaction with the staff was very positive overall--helpful, polite, and engaging. Cat at check-in was particularly helpful (look for her).

The one thing I would caution is the hotel bar. Yes, all hotel bars are expensive, but if you are going to charge more than $8 for a draft beer (especially locals!) have a wider selection. The staff there seemed more interested in talking to each other than serving tables or the bar.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PoCo55138

I also want to thank you for your comments on our staff...for the most part it was very positive although I was a bit disturbed to hear your comments about the Bar 10 staff...I will be sure to speak with my Director of F&B so that she can keep an eye on this...thank you for bringing it to our attention.