“Excellent option in great location”

The Westin Copley Place, Boston
Ranked #29 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia
“Excellent option in great location”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Let me start by mentioning that this hotel has a 13th floor. We are stayed on it, though as far as I can tell, the only bad luck it brought was some peculiar elevator behavior. This is a large hotel and they (fortunately) have lots of elevators, so many in fact, that they seem confused as to what they should be doing at times. It made me grateful that elevators are very limited in their mobility. If they did anything other than up and down it could cause real trouble. In this case, I just had to get off at a floor other than my intended destination. This happened twice out of maybe 5 trips up and down, which seems like a lot to me.

We were only in the hotel for about 12 hours, which was not enough time to really explore. The check-in was quick and easy. The lobby is on the second floor, which also houses restaurants and a bar and a few stores. There's a full-service Starbucks, not a stand, in the lobby as well.

The rooms are spacious, with a nice view, even from the 13th floor. The bed is comfortable and the climate control is easy to use and responsive. We had 2 rooms and the lighting was sufficient in one, less so in the other, corner room. A bathrooms are small but well equipped. The doors rate highly for lack of slamminess. Nothing outside woke me up at any point.

Can we all agree that the most annoying hotel trend of the last decade is the minibar where you get charged, not just for what you consume, but what you touch? This hotel likes this idea so much that they have added a tray of stuff sitting on the dresser that if you pick anything up, you're charged for it. They used to charge you for stealing a robe. It looks like soon they'll charge you for putting it on. On the same theme, Internet access is $12.95, though you can sometimes get it included with the room rate if you try. You can also rent a real refrigerator if you're into that kind of thing.

The hotel was very busy because the Marathon was a couple of days away, but it never felt frantic or overwhelming. It's probably a good place for a conference. There's a supermarket a block away and a 24 hour CVS across the plaza. The hotel is convenient to most important stuff in the downtown area.

We got a good AAA rate (which included free Internet). Overall, I would call this an excellent hotel and a good downtown Boston option.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
MJorgensen, General Manager at The Westin Copley Place, Boston, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear justfrank,

I am not sure I fully understand your comments about the elevators...It appears that perhpas they did not stop on your intended floor and you had to go to an alternate floor as a result..Don't know why that would have happened...I don't ever remember this being brought up in the past, but we will look into it.

You will also be happy to know that the trend of in room private bars is going away and we are moving towards a high quality Grab-n-Go Grocery...more on that trend is coming down the pipe.

Once again thank you for your comments and please do come back and visit soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (924)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The location is great and the staff the most helpful and obliging I have ever come across in my trips to the USA. I was there for a conference and the support, facilities and catering could not have been better. The bed was the most comfy I've slept in for years. I do not have a single criticism of the place and would highly recommend it

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear HCJ2013,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Westin Copley Place...I am delighted you were able to stay with us while visiting Boston. We can't agree with you more on the location and views...central to everything and those views are spectacular!

I also want to thank you for your comments on our staff...we are very proud of all of them and your comments just validate for us that they put service first and foremost and that is 90% of the battle.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed 5 nights for a convention at the hotel and enjoyed every minute. Wanted to put some food in the mini fridge and promptly one was whisked into my room, The Charles river view from my 33rd floor room was beautiful. The food was very good as was the concierge several times regarding bus trip around town, restaurants and general guidelines how to get to different places. The fitness room was the best I practiced in a hotel in the last few years. And the location was very good within walking distance from many food and shops and just a hop from the nearest underground. A perfect place for a business trip to Boston.

Room Tip: A top floor with a river view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Emezer,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent business trip at the Westin Copley Place...I am delighted you were able to stay with us while visiting Boston. We can't agree with you more on the location and views...central to everything and those views are spectacular!

Birmingham, England
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed here for an event in the Hynes Convention centre which we could walk to undercover via the skywalks which link the Hynes via a shopping mall. We stayed in a corner room on the 19th floor. The views on both sides were superb and the room was large. The beds were comfy and the decor was good. The bar was friendly and the lobby area comfortable. Free wifi was available in the lobby just ask the concierge for the code. During our stay the hotel was hosting a religious event. There was a lot of waiting for the elevators as only two of the four were working. Due to the amount of extra people we had to wait for up to half an hour for an elevator. On the day of our departure my daughter's boyfriend had to walk down 19 floors with luggage as he couldn't get an elevator. There was also a lot of noise from the religious group including singing from a small choir in the corridor outside our room at about 10.00 p.m. On checkout I did complain and I was compensated for the inconvenience. Apart from the small problems caused by the group I was happy with the quality and standard of the hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor corner room so you get excellent views on two sides and a large room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
MJorgensen, General Manager at The Westin Copley Place, Boston, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent last minute stay at The Westin Copley Place. I am delighted that you had the chance to stay with us here in Boston. We cannot agree with you more on the location, particularly if you have an event at the Hynes Convention Center.

My apologies on the delays with the elevators as a result of the other group in the hotel. Hind Sight is 20-20 as they say and we likely would not contract with two groups of similar size at the same time again in the future...

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back soon
Singapore
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Maybe it's because I've been spoiled by other awesome hotels around the world, I find the Westin Copley Place to be mediocre all around. The Westin's Heavenly Bed is fairly comfortable, but the rooms fit out and fixtures are boring and utilitarian and lack pizzaz.

This is a basic business hotel that is good enough for going back to at night to go to sleep, but it's not a propertly that one would enjoy spending a lot of time in.

The best thing about the WEstin Copley Place is its location. It's connected to the Copley Mall and Prudential Place and is across the street from Copley Place and Trinity Church. It's also a 3 minute walk to Back Bay Station.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

I am sorry that you did not find our rooms to be appealing asthetically...we renovated them just a short two years ago and this is the most recent Westin Guest room design....I suppose we will not please everyone all the time.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed at the Westin Copley Place for 11 nights! We really enjoyed our stay. It was our first trip to Boston which I just loved, loved, loved. The staff were friendly, check in was quick. The room not overly big but there was only two of us so it wasn't too bad. The rooms were very clean and lovely - modern. We were on the 20 floor and had a fantastic view across the river. The location was fabulous. We were there for a sporting event at the Hynes Convention Centre and we were able to walk all the way to the Hynes under cover. The beds were super comfortable and we slept like babies every night. We found the rooms to be mostly quiet. We paid for WIFI and we had no problems with that. There was a Shaws supermarket right across the road which was handy. It had a poor excuse for a hot food bar but it was otherwise good to be able to buy whatever we needed. The Westin has a great green choice option where you can not have your room serviced and they'll give you a $5.00 voucher to put towards food or juice in the hotel. I had my room serviced every second day and had $25 worth of vouchers to put towards dinner in the bar on our last night. I also found a laundromat (Executive Cleaners I think they were called) nearby which provided an extremely reasonable wash and fold service.

We walked around Boston quite a bit. It wasn't hard to get around ... perhaps ten minutes to the Boston Common, we walked to the Freedom Trail which probably took around 20 minutes, we stopped along the Freedom Trail and found our own way to the Cheers Bar where we had lunch. We took the train to Salem which was about 30 minutes. We did the duck tour which we didn't like that much but at least got us out of the Hynes Convention Centre for a little while and showed us a bit more of Boston.

Awesome stay!

Room Tip: As for a room with a view of the river overlooking the library.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Canberra Girl,

Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed one night at the Westin Copley in Boston. The hotel met all our expectations. The valet was easy, the gentleman checking us in was prompt and polite. Our room was very clean and had a beautiful view of Boston (26th floor). We were facing the Charles River. We highly recommend staying here!

Ken and Allie

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Ken S.,

I also want to thank you for your comments on our Front Office and Valet staff...we are very proud of all of them and your comments just validate for us that they put service first. I would also like to thank you for the endorsemnt for us...we can't ask for anything more!