“Please tell me there are no bedbugs!”

The Westin Copley Place, Boston
Ranked #27 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I have read several reviews regarding this hotel - most very good, but I came across a couple that mentioned bedbugs. Please tell me if anyone has had any signs of them in their room. I am staying at the hotel this week and I am concerned.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
MJorgensen, General Manager at The Westin Copley Place, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Thank you for your comments and of course your concern. It is certainly understandable given the current press surrounding the resurgence of these insects and no business is imune to them. The only way to answer your concerns is to speak honestly about what we do as preventitive and precautionary standards to ensure that we are on top of the situation at all times. First you should know that at the Westin Copley Place 99.9% of the claims of bed bug bites are actually false alarms…you see people can have an itch or a bump or a mosquito bite and if they are staying at a hotel, than their natural reaction is to fear the worst…! We take each claim very seriously. We are required by company standard to inspect any complaint of bed bugs, and we are contracted with an outside Pest Control Service to do this, even though, and I will say it again…99.9% of what they find in our hotel are false sightings…it has become costly for us, but absolutely neccessary and in this day and age, a cost of doing business.

In the spirit of full disclosure however, If we do have a positive sighting we then shut down that room, the rooms on either side and the rooms across the hall and remove the beds or furniture where they are found. Data shows that bed bugs almost always are found within 12 feet of the bed, so if we do find evidence of activity we are always going to replace the bed.

We try to stay ahead of the problem however and as such all our housekeepers are trained and retrained every 6 months to spot and alert to bed bug activity. We also use a bed bug sniffing dog who we pay (not the dog, but his company!) who comes in quarterly and inspects all 800 rooms. Unfortunately there is no preventative protocol at this point, so we need to continue to be proactive in our discovery process...I hope that eases your mind a bit. If you would like to connect about this further, please feel free to reach out to me, and I would be happy to discuss it at your convenience.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Copley Place, Boston

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights here and loved it. We were upgraded to a room with river views and really enjoyed this property. Its centrally located and the room was up to my standards. We had room service 3 times and the food was great and timelly. The service was excellent each time. No coplaints here although the valet is outragiously expensive. I work in a hotel in Times Square and we charge $35 a night, here its $47. I know below the response to someone else's review on this said its comparable to central location - well Times Square is as central as you can get and its cheaper here. So this seems very operpriced and I am used to high prices. I will say though the service was excellent and we got our car back in no time with almost no wait time. Overall great hotel and we will come back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
MJorgensen, General Manager at The Westin Copley Place, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Westin Copley...I am really delighted that you were able to stay with us for your recent trip to Boston...we are very proud of the service and quality of product we deliver and your comments about room service and the guest room just serves to reaffirm that notion. Regarding parking our Westin in Times Square charges $55.00 per night for overnight parking, and my comments in a recent post about parking being in line with our competitors refers to the local hotels in the Back Bay like the Sheraton and the Marriott and we are in line with their pricing...Once again thank you and we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed June 16, 2012

For over 20 years this hotel has never disappointed. Plenty of staff (no wait at the desk) and large rooms. Location can not be beat for getting around town. Just a block to the "T" and 3 blocks to The Pour House. FUN. Great bar here now too.

Room Tip: Ask for high up rooms for a killer view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank dsheon

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Westin Copley...I am really delighted that you have been staying with us for over 20 years...that is really wonderfule to hear. In fact I hope you keep coming back. Once again thank you and we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed June 13, 2012

My girlfriend and I went for a weekend in Boston in June. We picked the Westin Copley because it was close to shopping and restaurants. We were blown away by the exceptional service and beautiful rooms. When we arrived after a two hour delay on the tarmac, we were greeted with a complimentary upgrade! They had lots of suggestions on restaurants, tours and shopping. The Hotel is connected to everything! My girlfriend and I are both very busy Moms, and the weekend away was just what we needed. I was able to go to the gym, get my hair done, have breakfast, all the while with smiling faces around me asking how they can be of assistance.

We also ordered room service - the food is exceptional.

This is a superb Hotel and I would reccomend if you have a chance, you should stay here! I will be going back for sure.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sharilyn M

Thank you so much for you comments about your recent stay at the Westin Copley Place. I am delighted that you were able to go to the gym, get your hair done, have breakfast, and basically just relax...if we can elicit those type of comments than we are doing our job! We are very proud of all the employees here and being friendly and acommodating is 90% of the battle. So to run into smiling faces throughout the property asking how they can be of assistance, is meeting what we strive for every day. Once again thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Thankfully I arrived in the mid-afternoon because the hotel was oversold and they had to turn away guests the later it got in the day. This Westin is in a great spot - next to a lot of shops, restaurants and some bars.

Check-in went smoothly. My room, on the 35th (out of 36) floor had a great view of the city. I liked the extra touch of an extension cord to accommodate the various devices one needs to charge.

I was especially delighted to have a voice mail from hotel management about joining their 'running concierge' for a run around the city and the Charles River the next morning at 6:30 a.m. Who knew such a thing existed?! In spite of a late night out, I made it down to the lobby, joined by a few other guests and we did five miles. Learned a bit more about the city and got a great work-out in! Apparently this event occurs on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I found the staff very friendly, the Heavenly bed heavenly and the room clean. My only nits are: $47 for overnight valet parking (which persuaded me to not have a rental on this biz trip), sometimes slow elevators - considering the number of floors and the number of elevators available, you'd think you wouldn't wait too long, and one day where the internet connectivity was spotty or non-existent.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank SC_Globetrotter

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Westin Copley Place. I am delighted that you were able to stay with us and that you found the staff acommodating and the service acceptable. The running concierge is a Westin Brand Standard so you should find this offered at most Westin Hotels...we are lucky to have a handful of dedicated runners on staff that are eager and willing to do this a couple times a week! Once again thank you.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Agree with another recent post that there are many better options for less money. For over four hundred bucks why not include wifi? For a while during our recent stay no escalators worked to take guests from the second floor lobby to street level. Elevators were crammed with people because the stairs as an alternative are badly placed and essentially only fire escapes. Our room filled with the stench of mold when we turned on the air conditioning. The next morning we awoke to find everything in the room covered with a fine white dust. I phoned the front desk but received no satisfactory response. Agree also toilet pressure too low. Shower handle was broken, i had to call down for a shower cap, same soap and toiletry items as a Sheraton although mouth rinse wasn't left in the bathroom til the fourth day.Too busy with conference to pay attention to hotel shortcomings we stuck it out but next Boston trip will find us staying further even if it means taxi fare to the convention centre...it will be well worth it to be away from the hassles here.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Westin Copley Place, although I was a bit confused as you mentioned the Sheraton in your request of toiletry items. We also renovated all the guest rooms in the last year and have not had a moisture problem as you mention, so I am hoping you might be able to contact me to speak a little further about your stay. I can be reached at michael.jorgensen@westin.com. I look forward to connecting soon.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Great location for our first visit to Boston. View was incredible. The restaurant below was pretty good too but order breakfast to your room, the room service was amazing!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Traveltrotter1

Thank you about your very positive comments about your recent stay at the Westin Copley Place. We couldn't ask for a better endorsement on our in room dining menu and service. We strive to make it as good an experience as the restauarant and hopefully we hit that mark. Once again thank you and come see us again soon.