“Great City, Great Hotel”

The Westin Copley Place, Boston
Ranked #28 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 4, 2007

I was in Boston for a conference. It was my first time spending any real amount of time in a major city. I was very impressed with what I saw of Boston. I stayed at the Westin for 3 nights and I was very impressed with the hotel. It was incredibly clean and quite upscale.

I was able to walk to the Hynes Convention Center without going outdoors by way of a walkway between hotels and buildings that even extends over streets.

The room was decent -- not great but decent. The gym on the fifth floor was far above average for any other hotel that I've ever stayed at. They had many (8-12) treadmills, free weights, and numerous machines.

One night I stopped at the concierge desk to ask about a good place to go for a run. They had laminated maps for 3 and file mile loops around the Charles River. I didn't really even expect to get a good answer much less a printed map.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank endOfPath
There are newer reviews for The Westin Copley Place, Boston

Reviewed September 30, 2007

Stayed here as part of a 100 strong group of 'Achievers' from my company...all expenses paid! We had a UK based travel team looking after us so they took care of all arrangements and as a result I didn't have much need to call on Hotel's own staff. Great hotel with great highrise views. Those Westin beds are amazing, almost worth the $10,000 you can buy them for from the in-room catalogue (add a bottle of Westin fragrance and a Westin shower to complete the experience at home!!). The breakfasts should not be missed, especially the breakfast bagels.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank nike365247
Reviewed September 26, 2007

Went to Boston for one night and needed a hotel room. Ran a search on Hotels.com and saw that the Westin was offering a $189/night rate. Other hotels in the area were $200-$450/night, so I decided to book a room at the Westin. I hear that the Westin normally goes for $250+/night. Before booking, I signed up for Starwood Preferred Guest Services. It was very easy - did it online. Booked room via Westin website.

The Westin is in a very good location - attached to the Copley and Prudential Malls and within walking distance to Back Bay, Newbury Street, Boston Commons, etc. Lots of shops, restaurants and sights in the area.

Check-in was a breeze. I was very happy that they allowed me to check-in 3 hours early. Asked if they had a high floor and they upgraded me to a room on the 35th floor. They were originally going to put me in a room in the 15th floor. Doesn't hurt to ask for these things!

Didn't order room service, so can't comment on that. But, there are so many options of places to eat right outside the hotel lobby that there is no reason to get room service.

Room was spacious and clean and the bed was super comfortable. The Westin boasts that they have a "heavenly" bed and they're right. Bathroom is a bit small, but very clean and had a fancy shower head.

I highly recommend staying at the Westin Copley Place.

2  Thank RLGL
Reviewed September 17, 2007

Had a Wonderful time at the Westin, wish i would have stayed there my entire trip. Stayed 1 day in sept of 07. upon checkin asked the front desk person if there were any upgrades and was immediately upgraded to a Corner Suite on the 32nd floor with views of all of downtown boston and the Hancock tower. Everything was very clean.

Ordered Room service that evening due to the red sox game running very late, and although the prices were astronomical the food was very very good even at 2am, and came up in the time frame they specified. For some reason downtown boston doesnt seem to have any 24 hour eaterys, as both hotels i stayed at i asked and noone knew a single one. Odd for people who work overnights not to know a 24 food place, esp. since the other location i stayed at was a B&B and didnt have room service to sell me.

I would highly recommend the Westin to anyone, Its pricy, but so is everywhere else in downtown boston, but at least to me I got what i paid for

2  Thank Jereth
Reviewed September 12, 2007

We spent 4 nights at The Westin Copley Place during our visit to the USA to attend a family wedding. We had originally booked a room at The Four Seasons but had to change hotels at the last minute when they were unable to offer us an additional room when the size of our party changed from 2 to 4. We were initially disappointed as we are great admirers of Four Season. However, we were seriously impressed by every aspect of our stay at the Westin. Our children's deluxe room was upgraded to a corner Junior Suite adjoining ours on 31st floor with amazing panoramic views over the whole cityscape and the Charles River. The Westin 'Heavenly Bed' more than lived up to its name and the amenities in the room were excellent. The service we experienced during our stay was exemplary and of the highest order. The genuine warmth of every member of staff we encountered was reflected in the amazing friendliness and hospitality which we experienced from the citizens of Boston. The people of Scotland pride themselves on their reputation for being a hospitable nation but we found the people of Boston to be just as warm and welcoming and friendly. It would be wrong to single any member of staff out for praise but Dan? the concierge was as professional and impressive as any concierge we have ever come across and we have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world. The breakfast restaurant serves a lovely selection of fresh and delicious dishes. Room service - with the award winning Clam Chowder from Turners in house restaurant - was first class with a huge choice. We found the prices to be fantastic value - well we would do as the UK pound is so strong against the US dollar at present! The Westin is attached by a convenient walkaway to an amazing shopping mall with many major high end outlets such as Saks of Fifth Avenue, Louis Vuitton, Niemann Marcus etc. We have been home now for three days and I still need to use asbestos gloves to handle my Amex!!! :0)

I can thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Boston for whatever reason. A great hotel in a great city with everything that any traveler could ever need for a comfortable and pleasant stay.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank DCG
Reviewed September 11, 2007

If you're interested in staying at this hotel you understand this is not a discount hotel property. You might however think the Westin name and the corporate standards around that name will provide some guarantees of quality, service and fairness in pricing. You might not be impressed.

For starters -- the hotel is well located, generally in good condition and the staff want to be helpful. But it does seem like the finance department is really the ones running the hotel and they have found virtually every little way they can to get more money out of your pocket and into theirs. Does anybody else remember a time when you booked a hotel room, you might pay a 50 or 100 per uplift/surcharge for using the phone, and the restaurants and gift shops were only nominally more expensive than the general area? What happened to those days?

The significant other and I selected the Westin based on location and availability for a quick five and a half day (long) weekend around Labor Day 2007. We booked a "standard" room, and showed up late in the evening of our designated arrival. So far -- no problems.

Being that it was late (approaching midnight), we decided to order a quick bite for dinner. We know that room service isn't cheap but being tired and hungry and unwilling to go forage for food in a new town at a late hour we ordered away - one steak quesadilla, one shrimp cocktail and two sodas. Now I wasn't expecting to get this at Taco Bell prices, but when I saw the room service ticket and they wanted me to pay $56.00 I was really unhappy. In all fairness the shrimp (4) were larger than my thumb and the meal was presented with a sprig of parsley. But 8 oz bottles of soda for $4.50 each, a mandatory gratuity, a delivery charge, a convention tax and another miscellaneous fee or two ran a ridiculous bill into the a whole new level.

A trip to the front desk the next morning got an apology from the room service manager (who double checked that they hadn't made a billing error) for the above average prices. I repeated my displeasure and vowed to not use that service again during our stay. When we returned to the room that evening there was a hand written note, a tray of cheese wedges and some crackers and a bottle of "designer" water repeating the apology.

I also found out at check out that valet parking was $40 per day - a detail that was posted on a single (small) sign in the drop area that was obscured by a bus or van when we pulled in late the first night. Can't say I remember ever paying more to park my rental car (which you generally don't need to get around downtown) than for the vehicle rental itself. But life is always full of firsts. I just wish they had topped off the gas on my rental SUV and washed and hand waxed it for those rates.

Another pet peeve I have dealt with housekeeping. If you're not going to change the bedding and towels daily would you tell the customers how we can get you to do so when WE think they need changing? With no signs the hotel was "earth friendly" or a "green" hotel I expected the linens to be changed daily. By day three of the trip, I had to rip the sheets off the bed and leave them in a puddle in the bath to get them changed out. Day two when I simply piled a heap of sheets, blankets and pillows on the bed (complete with make-up stains and cracker crumbs) this was somehow interpreted as - please straighten up this mess.

I guess being a seasoned traveler who has spent over a thousand nights in hotels I find these kinds of details unsettling of a property that bills itself as a luxury hotel. Seems management is running towards a bottom line and as long as the occupancy rate doesn't dip below some magic level -- they are successful. But what about how we as consumers feel after the experience of the property? I for one am unlikely to want to go back to this Westin just because I felt like I was a money tree being plucked in every way possible.

4  Thank Early_50s_Traveler
Reviewed September 8, 2007

I stayed at the Westin Copley Place for 4 nights in September 2007. My parents joined me for 3 nights. This hotel is in a great location with many restaurants and shops nearby (Shaw's is right across the street for groceries, Newbury street has great shops).

Check in was quite smooth. They were accomodating of my request for extra keys. My room was very nice. I had a view of the Charles River which was nice. The beds were as comfortable as all Westin beds and the bath was quite nice. Housekeeping did a great job keeping the room clean.

The gym here is quite large and clean. I used it multiple times and it was always clean and something was open. I also took the recommended 5 mile running route from the hotel and it was beautiful.

I ordered room service one day and it was quite prompt and good.

The only issue was at check out. The valet charges were on my room bill even though my parents had paid them prior to leaving. It took about 10 minutes to get that resolved.

i would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business