“Great hotel”

Taj Boston
Ranked #33 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 24, 2013

This hotel is located in a great area of the city, in front of the English Gardens. You can walk to many areas but it also has a subway near by. It has a nice view of the city and the gardens. The room was comfortable, very clean and nice.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bruna G
BostonTaj, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear bguerrafranklin,

Thank you for your lovely review following your recent stay with us at Taj Boston! We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed our fantastic location across from the Public Gardens, and our views of the city.

We thank you again for taking the time to provide your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to Taj Boston in the near future!

Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in Boston for my birthday at the Taj hotel for one night on November 1st. The valet parking was very easy, the doorman, bellman, front desk and everyone were super helpful and super friendly. We were lucky enough to have a view of the Swan Pond & Boston Common, facing Newberry Street... My husband booked on Priceline so we were especially surprised by not only the view, but also the room itself. It was just lovely. Typically, when we book through Priceline's "name your own price", we end up getting a small room, or two beds, or a bad view, or all of the above. Not so at the Taj! The room & bathroom were both quite large, with plush bath robes, high bed (see photos), free shoe shine, free newspaper of choice... Lobby also quite nice. The only criticism I have would be the rather slow elevators. Other than that, we were completely happy. Highly, highly recommend. Probably the best location in Boston.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I spent three nights at the Taj Boston and enjoyed my stay, albeit with a couple caveats. The service offered was what you'd expect from a five star hotel: turndown service with much-appreciated complimentary bottles of water, chocolates, slippers, and weather information; 24-hour room service; complimentary shoe shines; a Wall Street Journal every morning; courteous, helpful, and abundant hotel staff; I could go on. The room was well-appointed and reasonably sized for this area, with a flat panel TV, a comfortable bed, two robes, and so forth. Although I didn't eat at the hotel, I enjoyed the bar and appreciated its well-crafted dry martinis.

But I must dock one star for two reasons. First, the hotel's age is showing; despite recent renovations, there's no mistaking the Taj Boston for anything but an 85-year old property. Perhaps this explains the lack of soundproofing: noises carried through my room frequently; including my neighbors' voices, room doors, and water sounds. Granted, I've stayed in much noisier hotels, but few U.S. hotels as luxurious as the Taj Boston are so poorly soundproofed. Second, the hotel's WiFi -- for which I regrettably paid $10 on my first night -- was horrendously slow by 2013 standards, with downstream throughput in the 500kbps-1mpbs range. I ended up tethering my computer to my Verizon 4G LTE mobile device, but an expensive hotel in a high-tech mega-city should not be charging $10 a day for WiFi that can't hold a candle to a five-ounce smartphone.

One last note: the price of rooms at the Taj Boston varies widely, as is often the case with hotels. A month before my stay, a standard room went for over $400; a week out, prices for the same dates dropped 50 percent. I have trouble recommending this hotel at the former rate; at the latter rate, whereas it's a very good deal at the latter rate.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing east, so you'll have a view of the Boston Gardens
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JBSay
Reviewed November 22, 2013

This was my first time to Boston. The location of the Taj was perfect. We had a great corner room that looked down Newbury Street. The most of the staff was very friendly and helpful. When we were leaving we went outside for the doorman or valet to get us a cab. The doorman was busy helping any other guest, but never acknowledge us. (Tom) Then the valet told us to move so he could put the bell cart where we were standing. Ended up having to get our own cab. Since we were traveling back home, we were dressed down, and they lost out on a tip and a good comment card.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay at the Taj, make sure it is more for business.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear JMP1982,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us at Taj Boston. We were delighted to learn that you found our location perfect, that you enjoyed your lovely corner room overlooking Newbury Street, and that you found most of our staff friendly and helpful.

We were concerned to learn about your experience with our doorman and valet staff, and we have addressed these issues with them. This is certainly not the level of service that we seek to provide to our guests, and we sincerely apologize that this was the last impression that our hotel left with you. We regret that although your overall stay was favorable, that you felt this issue warranted a 2 star review.

We sincerely appreciate that you took the time to provide your comments. We hope to that you will choose to stay with us again the next time you visit Boston so that we may provide you with a guest experience that will exceed your expectations.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Good location nearby what we needed, and a very clean and comfortable room. Great service. Pet friendly hotel (at no additional cost to the owner) and no weight limit for dogs. They also bring up an adorable pet welcome package (bowl, bed, treats). Was very unhappy with the valet car service - we called from our room 15 min before hand as recommended by the front desk, and still waited outside for 30 minutes. Not only was this not the kind of service we expected from such a fine place, but it also made us late to our appointment. This mishap is the only reason I rate the hotel 4 instead of 5 stars - every other aspect was amazing.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
BostonTaj, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear lam012289,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Taj Boston. We were pleased that you had an overall amazing stay, and that you enjoyed our location, service, and pet friendly policy.

We were disappointed to learn that you experienced some delays with our valet, and we apologize that this caused you to be tardy to your appointment. We will review our valet staffing levels to ensure that this not happen in the future.

We sincerely appreciate your comments and feedback, and we hope to welcome you back to Taj Boston in the near future!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

My biggest thought - stay with the Taj only if you can splurge for a room with a view and (if it's winter) a fireplace. Otherwise, I'm not sure. You can walk absolutely everywhere from the hotel. I had a corner queen junior suite.The living area had a fireplace and views of the public garden and a pretty clock tower. The view over the garden in fall is spectacular. The Taj is an old fashioned hotel with pleasant interiors but they're tattered and worn here and there. The bathroom was clean and updated but not luxurious. The bedroom was kind of depressing with an uncomfortable old mattress. Staff members were sincere and friendly but many seemed overwhelmed in some of the public areas (finding luggage, etc.). I walked past the breakfast "buffet" (?) which was in a dark conference-type area and had practically nothing to offer. If you're booking a breakfast package, I'd skip the breakfast - I heard people complaining about it. I might return for the view and a winter fireplace if the price was right. Still the hotel does feel like a chain (Taj Hotels) and a little too big to be handled perfectly. That said, I do thank the welcoming staff members who did their best despite being very busy. And also kudos to the room service chef who made me something delicious, off menu :)

Room Tip: Get a view facing the Public Garden!! Avoid breakfast buffet. It's all about the view and locati...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2013

This is my second visit to The Taj Boston. Its a very comfortable hotel with a location that cannot be beat. It falls short of expectations set by the Taj hotels in India, perhaps because upgrades and renovations to the older hotel infrastructure are not complete. On the positive side, the rooms are large and comfortable and the restaurant and bar are very nice. On the negative side, its the little details that fall short. For example, there are no ramps leading into the hotel for either entrance, and if you've got bags you have to struggle if a doorman is not around (and the hotel appears to be somewhat lightly staffed). The heating system is antiquated, with my room being either too hot or too cold. There is no coffee service in the room - I requested one and a nice one was provided, but the coffee was not replenished the second day. The marble edging of my shower stall was chipped in many places. The elevators are often crowded.
Bottom line: if you get a good price this will be a nice place to stay, but its not a super luxury hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business