“Great option for business in Back Bay”
Review of Taj Boston

Taj Boston
Ranked #34 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed at the Taj Boston for one night while travelling on business. The principle consideration that impacted my selection was location - all my meetings were in Back Bay, this hotel was 5 minutes from everywhere I needed to be. The room decor was a bit dated but was very comfortable. The staff was courteous and I appreciated the high-touch housekeeping service details (e.g., free shoe shine, turn down service with chocolates, prompt delivery of requested toiletries, etc.). I did not dine at the hotel or use other amenities. I wish the room was a bit more spacious (especially for almost $400), but that is the nature of the neighborhood.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
BostonTaj, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear EscapeTheCity11106,

Thank you so much for your kind review regarding your business stay with us at the Taj Boston! We were delighted to hear that you appreciated our perfect location, courteous staff, and high-end housekeeping service details.

Again, we appreciate that you took the time to share your experience, and we hope to welcome you back to the Taj Boston the next time your business or personal travels bring you back to the city!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

What a mess of a hotel!! I spend 3-4 nights in hotels every week -- in recent past, I can't recall a less guest-oriented staff for a hotel that would hope to attract business guests.

I enthusiastically do not recommend for business because they're operating on a sense of urgency more appropriate to a beach resort.

I commit to NEVER staying here again and actively dissuading others from making the same mistake.

Here's how this hotel failed me:

1) I arrived late due to a delayed flight - expected to be able to meet colleague for drink at downstairs bar and grab a late dinner. "Kitchen closed". Can I order off the room service menu? "No". Other hotels that deem themselves luxury five-star hotels manage to accommodate. Figure it out. Give staff flexibility. Ten minutes later, waiter returns because he forgot that I ordered a drink. I needed to remind him again.

2) DUDE - WHERE'S MY CAR? Upon check-in, advised that I needed to give 30 minutes advance notice for valet parking... (wait... what? Are they parking cars in New Hampshire and driving them down?) In spite of this, I followed their little rule. Had to call from my room twice because no one was picking up the phone. I emerged downstairs 30 minutes later... no car. Doorman is shooting the breeze with town car driver, barely acknowledges me but I tell him I've called. He proceeds to chit chat with other guy. Time check: 40 minutes since I requested car. New door guy checks in for shift. "Can I help you?" he asked wanly. "Yes, my car would be great" He replies: "Not my fault... just got here" Awesome, thanks for the help, dude. Time check: 50 minutes after car requested, it turns up. Total fail -- thanks for making me late to my client meeting! Wish any of the slowpoke Taj staff was even 1% as embarrassed about their command performance as I was about walking into client offices late because of their inane parking set-up. Recommendation: Maybe you should just have guests request cars an hour in advance...

Never again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank nycer_2013
BostonTaj, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Dear nycer_2013,

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay with us at the Taj Boston. We were extremely concerned to read your review and would like to apologize for the issues that you encountered during your stay.

We have notified our Food and Beverage Director of your feedback regarding the service and treatment you received in the Bar. This is clearly not the level of service that we intend to operate at and this will be investigated accordingly.

We apologize for the delays in valet service and resulting tardiness to your client meeting. As a hotel that caters to business professionals, it is imperative that our guests are able to get in and out of our hotel in a timely fashion, and we are troubled by the fact that this was not the case during your stay. We are reviewing the valet staffing procedures and will take the appropriate measures to ensure this issue does not persist.

We thank you again for your earnest critiques. Though sometimes difficult to hear, your constructive comments are crucial to our improving guest accommodations and services. We hope that you will give us a chance in the future to provide you the guest experience that you truly deserve.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

This place has potential, but it hasn't been met. The hotel needs to be fully updated and cleaned. The food in the bar was good. The location, however, cannot be beat for Boston and would stay again if they renovated the place. Otherwise, I will avoid.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
BostonTaj, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear Sal_Vegas,

Thank you for your comment regarding your stay at the Taj Boston. We appreciate your review and were pleased that you enjoyed the food in our bar and our central location in the heart of Boston. We were disappointed to hear that you felt that our hotel's potential has not been met, and we have shared your comments with our Executive Committee.

We thank you again for taking the time to review your stay, and we hope you will give us another opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations the next time you are in Boston.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Here for a conference. General staff don't seem to be knowledgeable of event scheduling. For preregistration, Initially transferred to event number which did not answer after registration deadline. Did get a room with effort, and a polite agent. Room considered luxury per description.. Having stayed at other lux hotels and boutiques hotels, have to disagree. Carpet not well maintained...bathroom is good size, but not luxe, Nothing really glam about the room.. have to pay for all Internet....Given an average holiday inn style greeting, just not a luxury hotel. Okay... Just not luxury... That said.... Location is great, so maybe that's the trade off.

Stayed: July 2013

Dear GillisRJ,

Thank you for your review during your recent stay with us at the Taj Boston. We do apologize for any issues that you encountered during pre-registration. If you are still a guest of the hotel, please reach out to me or Gaurav Paul, our Front Office Manager, so that we may make the rest of your stay most enjoyable.

We were concerned to learn that our front desk staff did not extend a gracious welcome to you, and we have notified our Front Office Manager of your comments. We also thank you for your note regarding the carpeting and our Director of Engineering is aware of this issue.

We sincerely appreciate that you took the time to provide your comments during your stay. It is with guest comments such as your own that we may continue to strive to improve our guest experiences.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We recently stayed at The Taj, despite the mixed reviews on this site. From check in to check out, the service and room exceeded our expectations. We stayed in a luxury corner suite, which had a view of the Public Garden on one side and Newbury Street on the other. We did not find our room to be shabby and dated, as apparently some other rooms have had that problem. The room was clean, elegant, and sunny and of course we had the extra space of the living room too. The bathroom appeared to be recently updated (or at least has held up pretty well) with marble vanity, tiled walls, and high-end toiletries. Upon check in, we were told that our room was not quite ready but that if we wanted to have a drink in the bar, it would be complimentary as we waited. Our room was then ready about 1/2 an hour later. We arrived in the suite to a plate of small candies/snacks, which was apparently meant for another guest (per the personalized card from the hotel which accompanied the snacks), but when we told the bell boy, he told us not to worry and enjoy them ourselves. So that was nice, and I'm assuming the other guest got his plate of snacks as well. The bed was comfortable, linens were good, and there was a turndown service, complete with chocolates, bottled water, and slippers. We stayed two nights and the only downside was that, due to the excessive heat outside, our room air conditioning made the climate extremely clammy feeling. As a result, sleeping wasn't too great, although the soundproofing was fine. No crazy drunk revelers running up and down the hall, unlike another "luxury" Boston hotel which will remain nameless.

At check out, service was prompt and courteous. Our car was pulled around by the valet exactly at the time we had requested it, so we were able to get out without much trouble on a Sunday morning. You can't beat this for a great central location, but spend the extra money to get a view of the park. It's worth it!

Room Tip: Get a park view room or suite.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
BostonTaj, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Kaotcgd,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review regarding your recent stay with us at the Taj Boston! We were delighted to learn that you had a lovely experience beginning at check in all the way through check out. We were pleased to hear that you loved your corner suite (complete with views of the beautiful Public Garden and Newbury Street!), and that you appreciated the turndown service and room accommodations. We do apologize that the AC caused a disturbed night of sleep, and we have notified our Engineering department of your comment.

We sincerely appreciate that you took the time to share you kind comments. We are thrilled that we were able to exceed your expectations here at the Taj Boston and we hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

(Disclosure lol I've had afternoon tea at Laduree in Paris, and the one at the Plaza in NYC with my BFF for her birthday, and I've witnessed lol but not actually sitting down for the one at the legendary Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong)

Perfect location and setting at the Taj Boston. My friend and I had window table and nice views of Newbury St and some tress of the Public Garden.

We ordered one 3-tier-tray of sandwiches and one 3-tier-tray of desserts which we shared. The finger sandwiches were ok. The white bread seemed a little bit stale to me. Everything else all tasted fresh and delicious especially the very crabby mini sandwich and the moist and rich chocolate cakes and the scones.

My friend had the pear tea and I had jasmine green tea which were both nice. Loved the tea pot warmers for each tea pot!

The lovely violinist provided relaxing and beautiful music. She was nice and gracious.

One reason we went was to celebrate my birthday and it was a gift from my friend who told the waiter about the bd. Towards the end of the afternoon tea, he brought out a little cake (a VERY moist and delicious carrot cake and I don't usually like carrot cakes) with Happy Birthday written on a piece of chocolate (I'm sure they have stacks in the fridge lol) and the violinist serenaded with Happy Birthday. A very nice touch even though it's not exclusive to us of course and they do it to all customers with special occasions.

The staff and waiters were all very friendly and professional although I wish my ice water had been refilled automatically. We went for the 130pm seating and stayed 'til 330pm lol when the second seating was starting but nobody rushed us or hurried us to leave.

Overall, a nice and elegant experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
BostonTaj, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear cuteasianjock,

Thank you so much for your lovely review of your experience at our Afternoon Tea! We are delighted to hear that you celebrated your birthday with us and that you enjoyed our Afternoon Tea offerings including our crab salad tea sandwiches, our tea selection, the violinist, and our location and views overlooking the Public Garden. Further, we were pleased that you enjoyed the special carrot cake presented for your birthday.

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us and we hope to welcome you back to the Taj Boston in the near future!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

The Taj although somewhat dated,still has some of that old time elegance. The staff was very friendly and helpful--the concierge recommended many wonderful restaurants! The rooms were clean and spacious and the continental breakfasts that were included in our package,had a wide variety to offer. The location of the Taj is it's best feature. It is directly across from the Commons and within walking distance of of all that Boston has to offer.
The Taj does not have free wireless and that's a disappointment .
I would stay there again.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Lorettaparry,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at the Taj Boston! We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed our ideal location, central to the Commons and everything that Boston has to offer. Further, we were pleased that you took advantage of our knowledgeable concierge staff who were able to recommend some wonderful restaurants to you in Boston.

We thank you again for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Taj the next time your travels bring you to Boston!