“Great Weekend Treat”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Arlington, Massachusetts
“Great Weekend Treat”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I live in the Boston area and I am very familiar with the Taj however I had never stayed over until recently. Upon arrival (4:30pm) my room was not worried but I was offered a seat in the lounge and a complimentary cocktail while I waited. Upon check in I was asked my preference for morning papers, asked for one and got two. The corner room had great views of Newbury St, was clean, comfortable and sizeable. Took advantage of the bar/lounge as well as dined at the Cafe for brunch on Sunday. Throughout my stay the staff was very pleasant and helpful. The only knock I could say is that the bar/lounge is small and they will accommodate larger parties which changes the ambiance and make the experience a bit less pleasurable.

Room Tip: Corner room with king size bed is the way to go.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank LynneA2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
Mystic, Connecticut
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This was our second stay- we were here in April, and they were wonderful. I felt the service was right on point, our room was lovely, and I left wanting to come back again soon. We had an amazing breakfast in the cafe with Charlie and our bartender upon arrival was so atentive and fun to talk too. Highly recomend the Taj.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Overall, hotel is good. Very comfortable bed.

But dont expect to be response email. I emailed them many times after check out, for my payment but they havent resopned yet. So angry! Seems they dont check their email or they just ignore.

Door key problem. Didnt work hundred times and had to change so many times but all i have been told was keep the key away from the mobile. Huh?

Breakfast service seems open a bit late.

Wifi is not free of charge at this luxury hotel-this is what theycall.

• Stayed February 2013
Harwich Port, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was a very nice hotel near the north end and our room was over looking Boston commons just wish we got a room on a higher floor we were on the forth. Valet parking was convenient. When you walk in to the hotel it is very nice with Chanel on one side and the Restaurant on the other. Looks very high-end, but the rooms were fairly cheap $140. The room was very nice and spacious with flat screen TV, King-size bed with plush pillows, and a bathroom covered in marble tile. We also had room service it was a little pricey but well worth it. They were very polite and accommodating and the Kobe beef burger was delicious! I would come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor Try not to get one near the elevator a little to much traffic
Harwich, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed at the Taj for Valentines Day last night. Valet parking was very professional, flagged us a cab with no problem after parking our car for the night in the lot. Everyone at the front desk was polite, informative, and very helpful. The room was absolutely beautiful! Very clean, neat, not one complaint. The view was beautiful, park side view. We had room service after a long day of walking around Boston, and I have to say it was the best meal I have had in a very very long time. It's not cheap, but it's also not expensive either, just right. Chicken corn chowder is to die for! The room rates are great, not expensive at all compared to others in the area. Well worth it.

All in all, we had an amazing time, no complaints, and would definitely recommend the Taj for anyone looking for a romantic getaway. We will be back!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I struggled with this review and finally decided on the "Average" review. Overall, the two-night stay last December wasn't bad - no glaring complaints like some of my fellow reviewers.

I had a spacious room overlooking Boston Common. While the bathroom was quite small, everything worked fine and it wasn't a big issue. The furnishings were quite traditional (geared towards an older customer), yet comfortable, but that was what I expected from a former Ritz-Carlton and now Taj Hotel. I had never stayed at a Taj Hotel before and given the fact that people hold the chain in high regard, I thought the rooms would be more updated and modern (like the Peninsula).

The hotel service and staff, including all of the valet, were very friendly and accommodating and always present for guest needs.

I was very glad that the breakfast was covered - up to $40 per day - by using my Mileage Plus Club Card. The hotel restaurant has ridiculous prices - not worth it at all. I travel alot and know what to expect in hotel dining rooms - even I had sticker shock. Both days I easily spend my credit - and then paid more. I am not talking about massive amounts of food. One morning I had a waffle, bacon and tea - I couldn't believe that my credit didn't cover the whole amount. Be very careful...and certainly avoid if you don't have the credit. The food was good...but seriously...

I can speak differently about the lobby lounge. The service was great. The selections of drinks and wine is very nice. I even had lunch there and enjoyed the lobster roll very much. The price was consistent with other Boston restaurants. It is a great place to grab a seat by the window and people watch.

In conclusion, I likely wouldn't stay here again, given all of the great hotel options throughout the city. However, if the rate was attractive and there was a reason to stay, I am sure that it would be fine once again.

Room Tip: Rooms with views overlooking Boston Common are upgraded and come at a higher price. The view is muc...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ord2002
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I am a member of "The Leading Hotel's of the World" club and picked the Taj because of that. I asked my assistant to book the hotel. When I arrived, I gave them my card, and was told they could not upgrade me because the reservation was not made through the proper web site. They explained the rules, and I said OK, but they also entered my number into the system. The benefits are supposed to include an upgrade based on availability, breakfast, and free internet. When I checked out the next day, I was surprised to find out they would not honor ANY of the benefits. I explained that is why I chose this hotel. They politely smiled and gave me the bill. They even charged me 10.95 X 2 because I logged in with my laptop and ipad. I said had I known I was paying extra for that, I would not have signed in at all. They did remove one of the $10.95 charges.

My point is that I was a returning customer in an expensive 5 star hotel, and it would have been so easy to simply comp the breakfast and internet. I would have been telling everyone what a great hotel they are. Instead, they stuck to the rules instead of common sense and good service.

In addition, my room was a bit worn (room 405) The bathroom was VERY small and in need of paint touch up. The bed dust ruffle was littered with black scuff marks. It just felt a little worn given the reputation and what I was expecting.

The location is FANTASTIC, the lounge very comfortable, and the food service excellent.

All in all, as I titled this, good, even very good, but not the GREAT I expect from Taj.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business