“good not GREAT”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“good not GREAT”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I am a member of "The Leading Hotel's of the World" club and picked the Taj because of that. I asked my assistant to book the hotel. When I arrived, I gave them my card, and was told they could not upgrade me because the reservation was not made through the proper web site. They explained the rules, and I said OK, but they also entered my number into the system. The benefits are supposed to include an upgrade based on availability, breakfast, and free internet. When I checked out the next day, I was surprised to find out they would not honor ANY of the benefits. I explained that is why I chose this hotel. They politely smiled and gave me the bill. They even charged me 10.95 X 2 because I logged in with my laptop and ipad. I said had I known I was paying extra for that, I would not have signed in at all. They did remove one of the $10.95 charges.

My point is that I was a returning customer in an expensive 5 star hotel, and it would have been so easy to simply comp the breakfast and internet. I would have been telling everyone what a great hotel they are. Instead, they stuck to the rules instead of common sense and good service.

In addition, my room was a bit worn (room 405) The bathroom was VERY small and in need of paint touch up. The bed dust ruffle was littered with black scuff marks. It just felt a little worn given the reputation and what I was expecting.

The location is FANTASTIC, the lounge very comfortable, and the food service excellent.

All in all, as I titled this, good, even very good, but not the GREAT I expect from Taj.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ronald R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
Melrose, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 4, 2013

A waste of money - many problems, culminating in what appeared to be spiderbites on both legs while lying in bed. We (3 seniors)were not treated well. Never again! We found out about free newspapers and coffee at check-out. Didn't know we could have requesrted a coffee maker in the room. Cab took us to wrong location for wedding. Doorman should have made sure driver understood.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank elizabeth o
Palmer, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We rented an Executive Suite with a fireplace for our anniversary the room was luxurious not the best view however. We do not drink alcohol so a request was made for sparkling cider to be on ice upon arrival, this sadly was not done for us not sure if they just didnt stock it or simply overlooked it.The location was great to explore the theatre district, park ,and shopping all by foot. A "Fireplace Butler" delivered wood of our choice,Birch,Maple,Oak, or Cherry to our room and started the fire (complementary) it was a nice touch.Overall the expense was rather high but the quality of service and all the odds and ends like robes, bedding, slippers, and cleanliness were very satisfying.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Wanted a fireplace to entertain some friends before dinner and also for some private romance for ourselves. Got a weekend deal on a small fireplace suite and it was perfect. They even provided us with a small fridge for beverages in addition to the stocked one that they charge for. The fire butler built us a beautiful fire that lasted for hours at no additional fee. (Many places charge for the wood!) The bathroom was smallish but well appointed. If you like sleek and ultra modern minimalism you will not like this room but if you want cozy, warm and sumptuous you will adore it!

Room Tip: Be sure to get a fireplace suite for a winter get away - it makes it special. We like the smaller v...
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Don't misunderstand me, the Taj is a fine hotel in a city where good hotel rooms don't come cheap. It did everything it needed to for a couple's base for a short city break. It's just that, at in excess of 350usd per night, i was hoping (even if not expecting) it might do a bit more.

To make it worthwhile, you need the location to be a big factor for you. As tourists who wanted to explore the city mainly on foot, we could not have been happier on the location front.

Other than that, there's nothing out of the ordinary given the hotel's official rating. The decor is tasteful luxury, if beginning to look a bit dated. The communal areas are not spacious but they look the part. There's the usual exorbitant fee for internet usage. As most hotels of its age, the sound-proofing is not up to modern standards (doors banging, neighbours both up and sideways activities noticeable though not like being in the same room).

When we were there there was a construction site over the road which was pile driving at a loud volume, even to 9th floor residents, 8am-4pm. That was fine for us as we were out most of those hours, but it would have been courteous for the receptionist who "upgraded" us to that side of the hotel to have mentioned the construction!

So, in summary, it'll do the job, but be prepared for a little disappointment that your high rate hasn't delivered something a bit better.

Room Tip: Check out any construction nearby - they won't advise you!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wandering_Moley
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed here for our anniversary and they upgraded us to a park view room and left rose pedals and desserts for us! It was amazing and a very good value for the price. Its a beautiful hotel in an awesome location. It used to be a Ritz Carlton and felt very decandant. The lobby bar was dark and cozy! We loved this hotel and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Go for the park view room!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Boxford, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Taj (formerly the Ritz) is an excellent location to see Boston. My wife and I went there for an overnight to be part of the "First Night" activities at New Years. We reserved the room months in advance as the city becomes very busy at this time. We requested on-line for a room facing the park. Our intent was to enjoy the fireworks at the common (across the street) from the comfort of our room while sipping champagne. When wwe got there early just to check our bags, they allowed us to check in two hours early and go to the room. They honored our request and gave us a perfect roo on the top floor facing the Public Gardens and Boston Common.
Great service, great breakfast, great hotel.
The parking was extra, as well as the breakfast, but worth the convenience. The room was very reasonable also for such a great place.
We may make this a tradition for New Years!

Room Tip: Choose facing the park. Fantastic view.