“Not modern. Great Service. Must be better choices.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Taj Boston
Ranked #29 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Iowa
“Not modern. Great Service. Must be better choices.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

The Taj was obviously once a top luxury hotel. The staff still want it to be. I was very happy with all the customer service interactions. The location is fantastic.

However the hotel itself needs major upgrades. The heating system apparently has to be activated for the season and although it was in the mid 30s, it was not active yet in mid October. Our room was around 62 degrees so they moved us to another room (an upgraded suite) that had the heat working. It did work for awhile but not all night. Over the next two days it was still spotty. The manager and staff did their best to help, but what can they do?

There are not enough available electrical outlets to accommodate our families devices. (two laptops, ipad, kindle, two smartphones) I also think it is simply unacceptable to not have FREE WIFI in every room and every open space. At the Taj you pay a fortune for the room but they still want you to pay $10 for the WiFi each day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank IaTravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
  • Greek first
  • Slovak first
Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the TAJ Boston while Athena struck the East Coast. Arrived late and was checked in very quickly and efficiently. The room I had was one of the largest hotel rooms I have ever seen short of a full suite and that was very pleasant. The bed and pillows were large and comfortable. But the room was worn a bit, the wallpaper was scuffed in several places, the caulk in the bath was pulling away from the tub, my towel had stains in it, and the heat was set very high and no matter what I did I could not get the room to cool off. As others have pointed out the Internet cost $10.45 plus tax each day and room service and snacks were exorbitant in cost. I realize this is sort of the norm in "luxury" hotels but it seems silly when others provide wifi as part of the cost of the room and breakfasts besides. I have no doubt the hotel was busy (and probably does not care) but I would not stay here again except that I needed to for business reasons given the cost, and extra cost, compared to the wear in the room. I will also say that I got in late and wanted a bite to eat but the only place to eat anything was the bar, which was busy and noisy. No restaurant or cafe open past 10:00 in a major city? Only room service with its crazy prices! Not impressed, location or not. They can do better without a lot of effort.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DrVacation
TajBostonManagement, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear DrVacation,

Thank you for staying at Taj Boston on your recent business trip. I am happy to hear you were pleased with the size of you guestroom and the comfort of your bed. I apologize for your overall dissatisfaction with your guestroom and stay. I have passed your comments along to the appropriate departments who will handle accordingly.

In terms of the wireless internet, our charges are meant to stay in line with our competitive set of hotels. I do apologize that this charge was a disappointment, and would like to invite you to take a look at the promotions section on our website, which has a few great offers that include wireless internet.

Thank you again for staying at Taj Boston and for leaving your review here on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Taj Boston Management
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed at the Taj over hurricane Sandy. Wonderful personal service. Very comfortable and well equipped room with extremely comfortable beds. Nice quiet coffee lounge and continental breakfast. Great view of the Autumn foliage.
will definitely stay at the Taj on my future visits to Boston.

Room Tip: View of the park.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

this Taj is again a very nice hotel, with the rooms in the front overlooking a lovely green garden
the service is excellent, the rooms nice.

i only stayed one night but also the valet parking was a good service, its a pity that none of these chain hotels have free internet..they should do.

Room Tip: room at the front
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Taj is a quality hotel and has a great location on Newbury Street for shopping and restaurants and bar. Its also convenient for Boston common. We found the Hotel was clean and well presented but a little on the expensive side. Unfortunately this is not uncommon in Boston as most rates in the city center are on the high side when compared with other international cities. If you want to pay less then you probably need to stay out of town but half the fun is being in the middle of the action. Despite the cost we would definitely stay at the Taj again.

Room Tip: Suggest you go for higher floor as some street noise was evident also ask for a view over the park i...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We recently stayed at the Taj Hotel in Boston. We have stayed there previously a number of times, mostly when it was the Ritz Carlton. After the switch from Ritz Carlton to the Taj, we decided to try other hotels in Boston, including the Four Seasons and the new Ritz Carlton on Boston Common, neither of which compared.

The Four Seasons lacks character. While it shares the same view and location as the Taj, the rooms are just too drab. We had booked a Garden view room and were upgraded to a "suite". But, by suite they meant a small living room with a window, connected to a small alcove with a bed and no windows. So, we decided to stick with our original room. And while the decor of the room was nice, the size and layout was no different than a standard room at a Westin or Holiday Inn. And, keep in mind, this was the highest level room.

The Boston Common Ritz Carlton similarly lacked character and location. While both overlook parks, the difference between the Taj location and the Ritz Carlton Boston Common location is pretty stark.

So, we decided to go back to the Taj. We booked two suites, one overlooking the Garden and the other with a city view. Both were beautiful and full of character. But, both had clearly recently been redone, the carpeting was new, the televisions were new, etc.

And the service was fantastic.

So, for location and character, the Taj is still at the top of Boston Hotels.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank NYBizTraveler11612
TajBostonManagement, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear NYBizTraveler11612,

We are so pleased to hear that you had a great stay at Taj Boston! We do our very best to exceed expectations in all areas and departments.
I'm glad you enjoyed the newly soft-renovated suites. Are you familiar with our Suite Celebrations offer? Please inquire before you book your next stay and you can receive 50% off the 2nd night you stay in a suite!

We hope you join us again soon,
Taj Boston Management
Waltham, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I LOVED it !! I was staying one more week (alone) at school before I could go back home, so I decided I would spend one week end there before the last week of classes. I took my computer and booked the same hotel as a friend (who had the same plan). I didn't really know what to expect, because despite the fact that I live in Boston, I didn't know (still don't) the city! So I arrived there, and my first remark: IT IS RIGHT AT THE BEGINNING OF NEWBURY STREET (the Bostonian's 5th Avenue), but also right across the park !!!! I am a shopping addict, so I didn't even need more to be pleased! But I got more pleased, when I went into my room and felt the feather on the king-size bed I was on! IT IS COMFY !!! The bathroom was clean (even if the hotel looks a little bit old already), and everything was just perfect. I was supposed to hit up my friend so we can watch a movie, but I fell asleep at 9pm, and woke up the next day (this is to say how comfy those rooms are!). In summary, it's a very nice hotel, so classy (I love classy) and the staff was really nice.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo