“The Location !!!!!”

Taj Boston
Ranked #34 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I LOVED it !! I was staying one more week (alone) at school before I could go back home, so I decided I would spend one week end there before the last week of classes. I took my computer and booked the same hotel as a friend (who had the same plan). I didn't really know what to expect, because despite the fact that I live in Boston, I didn't know (still don't) the city! So I arrived there, and my first remark: IT IS RIGHT AT THE BEGINNING OF NEWBURY STREET (the Bostonian's 5th Avenue), but also right across the park !!!! I am a shopping addict, so I didn't even need more to be pleased! But I got more pleased, when I went into my room and felt the feather on the king-size bed I was on! IT IS COMFY !!! The bathroom was clean (even if the hotel looks a little bit old already), and everything was just perfect. I was supposed to hit up my friend so we can watch a movie, but I fell asleep at 9pm, and woke up the next day (this is to say how comfy those rooms are!). In summary, it's a very nice hotel, so classy (I love classy) and the staff was really nice.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Taj Boston

Reviewed October 26, 2012

My wife and I just returned from another glorious stay at the Taj Boston. You cannot beat this hotel for elegance, central location, graciousness, great views of the Park, accommodating staff, and an all-round fantastic stay. Your experience starts with the doormen, who smile and greet you politely and warmly. Everytime we stay here, and it has been often in the past 2 years, we feel like we are coming home. The Front Desk is another friendly, helpful, and welcoming experience. Breakfast in the Cafe is not to be missed either. If you happen to secure a room on an upper floor overlooking the Park, you have hit gold!! We will continue to stay at the Taj whenever we are in Boston.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor overlooking the Park. Of course, you have to pay for that level of room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
TajBostonManagement, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear CTNewEnglander75,

Thank you for taking the time to share such kind remarks on our hotel and staff. One of our main goals is to make our guests feel at home, and we are thrilled to hear we were able to do so for you and your wife! We hope you will return to Taj Boston very soon for another fantastic experience and thank you again for your review.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

This apparently 5 star hotel was the final leg in our journey around the East Coast. If I tell you we got better service and quality from a 3 star hotel in Washington DC that'll give you an idea of the way this review is heading. When we arrived we were checked in and went up to our room on the fourth floor - we were immediately disappointed to discover no one thought it worth mentioning the building site right opposite our window (they're just laying foundations by the way, so it's not going anywhere quickly) and that workmen were spending the week also relentlessly digging up the road, both from 7am in the morning. I'm not for a minute suggesting the hotel is responsible for this but they are for their attitude when we spoke to reception the next day about the possibility of changing rooms only to be told at the 'price you're paying' that's the best there is - but they would 'consider' our request - we never had a peep out of them after that, no follow up and not even a vague interest in being even the slightest bit bothered it might affect our stay. I'm sorry to say this attitude permeated into everything else - at least half of the staff (from the doormen to reception to one of the concierge staff to numerous others) were surly, apparently can't raise a smile or often even respond to a basic 'good morning'. Oh, but they do flap around chasing after old dears who look like they might have a bit of cash to chuck around. I do not appreciate being eyed up every time we come into the hotel as if they're checking we should be there at all (at one point a staff member followed us, suddenly needing to use a lift, and it felt so transparent it was jarring). Of course, this could just be our perception (it wasn't) but I don't think this sort of thing should even cross your mind staying in a allegedly 'top end' hotel.

Add to this many other minor irritations - no coffee machine in the room - oh, but you can buy coffee to be delivered to your room or apparently get it complimentary in the lobby each morning..., holes in the sheets, carpets that had perhaps been there since the hotel's heyday in the 20th century, tired decoration, a dodgy lift...if the rest of our holiday hadn't been so good this experience could have really soured the whole thing. On the basis of this stay, which felt so unfriendly and unprofessional to us, I would not recommend this hotel. They have a lot of work to do to justify their standing and it doesn't seem as though they have even started. A one star review might seem harsh but for such a wholly unsatisfying stay I feel there is no other choice. Avoid.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JamWhit
TajBostonManagement, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear JamWhit,

On behalf of Taj Boston, I would like to sincerely apologize for the issues you faced during your stay. Clearly our staff was not performing to their usual standards during your stay. I have sent your review to the appropriate departments who will ensure that these incidences do not occur again.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, as it is the best way to make necessary improvements to the hotel and service. Thank you very much for your review and for staying at Taj Boston.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Very disappointing to see a former landmark in this city crumble... Rooms are not updated. Public bathrooms for the cafe area are old.... Everything needs a good scrubbing! Carpets are in need of shampoo or replacement. Half the staff is Gone. Service in the cafe however is always super, but I know management makes these "cut" decisions. Taj is CHEAP..imagine the taj once had a great reputation? once...I now go to the Four Seasons, you'd love it there :)

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Meaghan V

Dear Meaghan,

Thank you for staying at the Taj on your recent trip to Boston. I regret to hear you were disappointed with your stay, and would like to send my sincerest apologies. Our main goal at the Taj is to exceed our guests’ expectations, and it is unfortunate to hear we were unable to do so during your visit.

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback here on TripAdvisor, as we take all reviews very seriously. I have sent your comments to our Executive team who will take the appropriate actions.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Massachusetts is a state that takes itself too seriously. Still, I was always fond of the old Ritz Carlton bestride the Public Garden. On a cold winter night sipping a cocktail in the snug Ritz Bar watching tourists skid by on icy Arlington Street was always a pleasure. The Café on Newbury Street was the ideal spot for what passed for a power breakfast in Boston. The long-tenured staff was unfailingly professional and courteous. Several years ago the old Ritz was sold to the Taj folks from India. My Dearest’s work recently took us to Boston. We booked into the Taj to see if my old friend has survived its new owners. The prognosis, I am afraid, is not good.

Upon arrival, the doorman (still dressed in top hat and long coat) welcomed us to the Taj, graciously took our bags in exchange for tickets and directed us to reception. The reception desk was as I happily remembered it: lovely mahogany, set at one end of the marbled foyer. We were greeted, advised that we had a lovely room looking over the Public Gardens, and told that it was not just yet ready. I frowned at this impertinence. We had arrived after 3:30 pm by which time all the rooms should have had a decent scrub. Reception suggested that we stroll Newbury Street and assured us that we would receive a call when our room was ready. Ninety minutes later, I was tired of Newbury Street but had received no call. We returned to the Taj anyway. Happily, our room was now ready. Unhappily, there was no apology for the lack of communication.

We handed our baggage tickets to Reception and made our way to our room to freshen up before drinks and dinner, assured that the porter would bring the bags up immediately. Ninety minutes later, which is long past immediately, and our bags had not yet appeared. Two calls to the front desk did not achieve the desired result and I sent My Dearest to find our bags. My Dearest had an adventure! First he was told that the porter did not have the bags. Secondly, he watched general confusion break out. Thirdly, the concierge announced that the porter was not busy – something My Dearest had already managed to figure out. Fourthly, he was led to a back closet to dig for our bags. After some excavation, My Dearest found our bags in the back closet! Apparently, instead of delivering our bags to our room, the porter had consigned them to the lost and found!

So much for the service upon arrival. The room, which did face the Public Gardens, did not have a view of the Public Garden flora as it was on a lower floor. While the room itself was cosy, done in soft creams and yellows, the bathroom was not of a standard I expect from a purported “5-star luxury” hotel. The bathroom had no vent, one sink and a shower that dated back to the 70’s. The tiles and fixtures in the shower were in deplorable condition. The showers at any average gym have nicer fixtures than this shower and no 5-star hotel shower should have loose tiles, sloppily gummed together with caulk. My Dearest, no friend to the silicone gun, could have done a better DIY on this shower. The highlight of the room was the comfortable bed and over-stuffed chairs. Very tasteful and exactly what I would expect – although the sheets were not Pratesi and during the entirety of our stay we received only one turn-down service.

I must mention the lack of hot water. On two mornings during our stay we awoke to find no hot water in the shower. My Dearest suffered through two ice-cold morning showers, because his meetings would not wait. While a little cold water does My Dearest no harm, I don’t take cold showers and so waited well over an hour for the “engineer” to fix the plumbing and who knows how long after that for the hot water to actually arrive. People!! A hotel should never be without hot water in the morning. You can’t show up at a business meeting or decent mall smelling stale.

Several friends tried to ring us at the Taj. They reported that the phone rang endlessly. Sometimes, after 20 rings or so, the hotel might answer. But not always! A dead giveaway that a hotel has laid off all the smart people.

So, here are the things that I still like. Even the Taj folks could not spoil the location: right in the middle of all the, somewhat limited and pedestrian, things Boston has to offer. In the lobby the lovely antiques, fresh flowers, elegant curving stairway and direct access to the Chanel store and fur boutique brought a smile to my face. Same for the well equipped fitness center with enough chilled water and fruit for any fitness nut to be satisfied (I enjoyed the water and skipped the fruit). My Dearest made happy grunts about the free-weights. The Ritz Bar remains The Ritz Bar with traditional furnishings, hunting scene art and excellent service – if you ignore the brightly colored Indian foods that have snuck onto the menu. The Waygu burger is very tasty, and who can argue with classic shrimp cocktail on ice or martinis served by elderly men in formal attire?

While glimpses of her former grandeur remain, my old friend is not aging well.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank tarrytown54

Dear Tarrytown54,

I would like to thank you for staying with us on your recent business trip; we do hope you had a nice visit to Boston.

When the Taj Boston opened in 2007, we found the hotel’s rich heritage, superb location and grand architecture were an ideal fit for Taj. Since then, we have worked hard to maintain the hotel’s original charm while adding the services and amenities that have made the Taj a luxury brand. Unfortunately, we did not live up to all of our standards during your stay. On behalf of the entire team at Taj Boston, I would like to sincerely apologize for the issues you faced.

We take all reviews very seriously, and your feedback is truly appreciated. Your comments have been sent to our Executive office, who will now take the appropriate measures to ensure we avoid these issues in the future.

Thank you again for staying at the Taj and for taking the time to leave your comments here on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Parking $44.
Location: priceless.
Carpet: beyond filthy. This room is atrocious. Here for a wedding at $400 a night. Despite the mixed reviews on here I wanted the convenience of being where the party was. Looks like the room hasn't been refurbished since 1990. The wallpaper is peeling and dirty. The carpet...no wonder they left slippers in a bag on top of a dining napkin (lol). You can't possibly step on the floor without getting a fungus.

The closet is tiny with 3 wire hangers. It's hidden too...we needed a bellman to find it and open with elbow grease.

I underhand I paid for an interior view and I'm sure the humdrum of generators and coolant systems with envelop me as I rest this evening.

I've hear the ballroom is amazing and I'm sure the wedding will be superb. But this location is top notch for such a shoddy and old fashioned hotel. Someone get an interior decorator stay and restore this former grand dame to 2012 glory.

Ps. Bellman complained of having to move my clothes to the closet when he thought we may switch rooms. "You mean I have to do this twice?"

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank thereadbaron
TajBostonManagement, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear thereadbaron,

We're glad to hear you enjoyed Taj Boston's fantastic location! However we're disappointed with the experience you had in the guestrooms and with the bellman. I can assure you your notes will be passed along to Hotel Management as well as the Engineering Department so they can follow up on your comments and make the necessary improvements.

At Taj Boston we pride ourselves on having professional and exception staff; we do hope you return so you can enjoy the true Taj Boston experience.

I hope you had a lovely time at the wedding and enjoyed the ballroom and our award-winning cuisine!

Hotel Management

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Our daughter's wedding was held on the Rooftop of the Taj in early September. What a wonderful experience! The view was simply breathtaking. The staff was wonderful, courteous and friendly and made this a fabulous experience for all of us. We had many out of state guests and most stayed at the Taj. It is a beautiful hotel with all the extra amenities you could possibly need. The bar is excellent for breakfast, for afternoon drinks and appetizers, or simply for a nightcap. The staff was very friendly and quickly learned our names and our favorite drinks and were eager to hear details of the wedding each time we saw them. I could not have been more pleased with our experience, our service, or our rooms! The food was outstanding and not at all typical "wedding food". I cannot say enough about this place!

Room Tip: Lovely corner suites!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends